* Posts by Jess

972 posts • joined 17 Jul 2007

Page:

Ireland's tech sector fears fallout of Brexit 'Yes' vote

Jess
Bronze badge

Everyone seems to be missing the point of the EU

It prevents all the silly squabbles between the different EU nations from escalating. (Trade wars, hundred year wars, world wars, etc.)

It seems to me that there are only two likely outcomes of the two year exit negotiations. (To extend it beyond that requires unanimous agreement of all states, which would seem unlikely).

A complete exit with no agreements. This will result in the obvious tit for tat regulations and actions (perhaps the £35K rule for foreign workers which would then apply to EU workers, might be adopted by the EU for English/UK workers in the EU). Any EU country with an issue with us would be free to screw us over.

The other option is England becoming simply part of the EEA. This would mean business as usual, (except that we would not have to meet so many environmental and work related minimum standards) however this would be exactly what the kippers wrongly claim the EU is, so is hardly likely to be satisfactory to them.

Also has it occurred to no-one that after a brexit the EU might offer relocation grants/sweeteners for businesses that wished to remain within the EU (the obvious ones being data centres and multinational EU headquarters)?

Of course all relevant business decisions will wait until the result of the referendum. (I have already noticed that the contractor market has been a bit dry, with upgrades and expansion being put off, because it would be simpler to buy new kit in the new offices in the event of a brexit vote.)

If the result of the referendum is overall exit, but with Scotland being stronger remain than they were remain in the UK, then decisions might even be put off until after that had been sorted. (Easier to relocate to a different part of the UK that won't be leaving.)

Business will assume the worst possible result for the exit conditions and plan for that. The one thing they know is that the UK will remain within the EU for 2 years from the date of notices of withdrawal. (Which in my expectation will be 31st Dec this year, to allow time for a second Scottish referendum.)

2017 (and perhaps 2018) should be rich pickings for IT contractors (all those relocations) , however it would be very wise to invest any earnings carefully for the drought that will follow. I certainly wouldn't like to be poor in a post brexit England.

1
0

Intel loses its ARM wrestling match, kicks out Atom mobe chips

Jess
Bronze badge

It was the presence of an Atom processor that was the deciding factor in me not buying an Asus Fonepad. (It was a choice between that and a Q5, so I was stuffed anyway of course)

1
0

IBM says no, non, nein to Brexit

Jess
Bronze badge

Someone always makes money out of a depressed economy.

The uncertainty of the result especially now it seems there is a significant risk England will vote to leave, has caused a drop in the pound. Someone will have made some money from that. I wonder who.

That is the reason for the referendum.

If we happen to leave they will make even more money.

2
1

BlackBerry is pivoting from phones to enterprise software

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Hopefully the hardware/BB10 combo is on pause

It would be nice, but I don't think it is sadly.

My Q5 is failing (Battery) I have pretty much decided to replace it with a dual sim phablet. (If there isn't a physical keyboard, I need a BIG screen.)

I certainly won't be paying BlackBerry prices for a new phone that comes with Android or an abandoned system (that isn't feature complete).

However since I may be getting a work tablet, I may just hold off as long as I can. (I just noticed linphone is available for BB10 now, thought very buggy as yet).

0
0

TalkTalk broadband customers continue to flee

Jess
Bronze badge

I certainly won't be recommending them.

After about a year of arguments after leaving them, they finally gave in. So that alone would stop me advocating them, but then they bought Blinkbox converted it to TalkTalk TV and dropped support for the PS3.

They cited lack of popularity, but I think that many potential users were waiting for it to support HD before investing in it, for anything other than UV replay. I know I was.

0
0

BlackBerry boss mulls mid-range Androids

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Passport SE is about £325 on blackberry at the moment.

That's the sort of price I was waiting for when they hadn't killed the system.

0
0
Jess
Bronze badge

I certainly won't be buying a new BB, unless it's in a 'fire' sale.

I was gearing up to get a Passport to replace my Q5, when they announced the Priv, and I had convinced a friend to get a Q30 to replace his N8.

He has now decided to get an N808 (there are still unused stocks, apparently.)

I am now planning to get an E6, (if I'm going to have an obsolete system, I may as well have one with good maps and battery life.) Though if a Passport came along at the right price, I doubt I'd turn it down.

I suspect their transition to Android will be as successful as Nokia's transition to WinPho.

1
1

Microsoft drives an Edge between Adobe and the web: Flash ads blocked

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Firefox set to require activation for Flash

I've gone one better - the plugin isn't installed on Firefox

0
0

We bet your firm doesn't stick to half of these 10 top IT admin tips

Jess
Bronze badge

Word

About 12 years ago I worked in a school.

I demonstrated to a social worker how much information was hidden within word files. All the blood drained from her skin.

Another time I had to try to email a security video viewer executable to the local police. Obviously their firewall blocked it. When I embedded it in a word file it went straight through.

0
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: If the pad detected more than 100Kg

If I had a Mac Pro Tower in each hand I'd be well over that. (In fact one, would probably do it.)

0
0

Windows 7's grip on the enterprise desktop is loosening

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Is your mac over 5 years old?

Mine are all well over that.

3
0

WhatsApp at BlackBerry? For one thing, BBM's now free

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: ICQ!!! Blimey, there's a blast from the past... is it still going?

Yes. (The old clients still connect, and pidgin works fine, I generally set it up on any multi client I use.)

Several months ago I mentioned in a forum that I'd not used it for several years, and of course within 24 hours I'd had 2 unrelated conversations using it. (I have an 8 digit user name, which is old)

0
0
Jess
Bronze badge

I used to like BBM

But I think I have used ICQ more recently than BBM.

I generally use Telegam Messenger and Whatsapp now.

0
0

Brexit: Time to make your plans, UK IT biz

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Laws don't change overnight, and they are certainly not revoked.

That is exactly what could happen.

If no agreement is reached after two years, our membership is terminated. This means EU laws do not apply here, unless they are adopted by act of parliament.

I am not sure it would even be viable to adopt the whole lot, I suspect each law would have to be looked at and judged adopt/replace/drop.

It will certainly keep our civil servants busy, re working 40 years of law.

0
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: what kind of people do you want to make the rules

I take it you mean Brexit better for the rest of the EU, not us?

If so, I have sympathy for that viewpoint, however, self interest means I'm not about to run with it.

2
1
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: The Problem with the EU

> Allowing UK child benefit payments to kids who don't even live in the UK

Our failing. Why should English people get it if their kids don't live here? Fix that and the problem is gone.

> Unlimited migration from any EU nation into the UK

But we are allowed to go in the other direction? To be honest this is the one thing I totally want to keep. I want to be able to work and live anywhere in the EU. It's hardly the EU's fault if our businesses only want to pay wages that only migrants living 4 couples to a house for a couple of years can build a future on.

> The EU does not know how it spends the money it receives for its budget, something like 4% is unaccounted for.

Needs fixing, but all sorts of crap goes on in Westminster too.

> The EU MEP's shuffle between Brussels and Strasbourg and is a waste of time and money, something that EU parliament should stop.

Agreed, but like the previous, not enough for me to sacrifice my EU passport for.

> Voting for prisoners

I don't have a problem with the concept, however I would prefer that all prisons are treated as one single constituency and elect 1 MP. (otherwise it could skew elections).

But that actually comes from ECHR which we are NOT voting on. Our vote is whether we are to remain in the EU. (The EU is also subject to the ECHR).

8
1
Jess
Bronze badge

How about having our own rules and recruiting talent from the whole world, not just the EU?

In case you'd not noticed, we do.

All the EU(/EEA) does is to make visa free travel and the right to work and live in the same way as within your own country. Leaving the EU (and EEA) will remove this right and mean the rest of the world rules apply. (Unless something is agreed in the 2 year exit negotiations).

Leaving gives us NOTHING. It just makes it more difficult for us to work in Europe and vice versa.

5
2
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: I'm not expecting Brexit..but unexpectedly definitive win for Bremain

It would be a relief if that were to happen. I hope you're correct. I am concerned that there is a big chance of an English exit. (I think Brexit as a whole is very unlikely.)

I would expect that give two years of opportunity (relocating all the EU headquarters back into the EU), but after that, not much.

I wonder how hard it will be to get Scottish Citizenship.

3
4

BlackBerry's still losing millions – but hit its revenue target, finally

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: but can run android apps from the play store.

Lots of apps work on my Q5 from the play store. Some fail due to the square screen. And some complain about lack of google services, then appear to work.

0
0

Facebook throws BlackBerry an HTML bone

Jess
Bronze badge

I beat them to it.

I removed the FaceBook app from my BlackBerry months ago.

1
0

Yahoo! Mail! is! still! a! thing!, tries! blocking! Adblock! users!

Jess
Bronze badge

I don't need adblock to access Yahoo without adverts.

Thunderbird accesses it just fine.

0
0

Microsoft introduces yet another Skype for Windows 10

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: yet to find another common application that will work on multiple platforms reliably.

https://www.getonsip.com/webrtc/ Need an up to date browser only (i.e Not IE) Only the receiving end actually needs an account.

0
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: They have to be quick

Whatsapp can be pretty good for audio calls, but obviously fails when you roam into 2G.

For text comms, telegram messenger is much better though, because it's not tied to one device. (It can even run on pidgin).

Skype is a total joke as an IM system. Message delivery is somewhat unreliable in my experience. The online status of the contact list is highly dubious. (Not least of which that it shows different people on different devices). It only seems viable if you use another medium to ask someone to go on it. (In which case you might as well send then to http://getonsip.com). The other thing wrong with Skype is Microsoft pulling the plugs on systems for no good reason. e.g. a Power PC Mac will not connect. However if you modify the version string to match the current version, it works fine for audio, and seems to have a more honest list of online contacts too. (This even works on the last G3 compatible version).

It's a shame sip isn't a bit easier to set up. I have a nice desk videophone, but the majority of the calls I get are just standard land line calls. (And a few web based audio only calls).

X-Lite 3 is still the best video phone software I've seen.

1
0
Jess
Bronze badge

As long as they don't push it out whether I want it or not. Quite happy with the only Skype on this W10 machine being the pidgin plugin.

1
0

Mud sticks: Microsoft, Windows 10 and reputational damage

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Don't blame users for the UI

I like windows 10. Most people I know who have used it, like it. I certainly wouldn't choose any other version of Windows in preference. (However, I might choose, mint, os x or RISC OS).

I liked 95, 2000, 7 and 10 on release.

I though 3.x, 98 and XP were utter rubbish on release, but after a few years became usable.

Vista - utter crap on release (performance and stability, more than UI) so, so ultimately (Usable if you need to run Windows programs, but not what I would choose to use)

Windows 8 - utter rubbish, (not too bad with classic shell though.)

I really don't understand the hate for 10. Unless it is upgrade fatigue.

(P.S. 10 is crap on a touch screen)

2
6

Don't – don't – install iOS 9.3 on your iPad 2: Upgrade bricks slabs

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: a way to restrict DFU mode updates for locked devices

Make DFU updates always produce a fresh erased system. make the update procedure include a backup with a a page to sign if you skip it, saying you understand the risk.

0
0

UK.gov kicks long awaited digi strategy into long grass, blames EU referendum

Jess
Bronze badge

Doesn't this imply they want to do stuff that would not be legal within the EU, and are waiting to see if they can?

3
0

How Microsoft copied malware techniques to make Get Windows 10 the world's PC pest

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Netflix.

Works on Linux with Chrome, but not Firefox

1
0

Secure email bods ProtonMail open signup floodgates to world+dog

Jess
Bronze badge

ProtonMail won't run without Google Play services...

:(

I think I see a potential security issue.

4
0

How a Brexit could stop UK biz and Europe swapping personal data

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: really spoil Theresa May's day

I don't think a leave vote would really spoil any Tory's day.

They would get all their former supporters back from the UKIP.

Odds are Scotland would leave the unions, so that is 58 opposition members gone for one Tory.

Plus the get to replace all the the nasty socialist EU laws that protect the proletariat from their masters.

6
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Is there any evidence to back this up?

Polls I have seen are 2:1 in favour of EU membership in Scotland 3:1 in NI (which surprised me, probably due to the Good Friday agreement, everything could kick off again if they leave the EU).

Wales and England were close to evens. Given the reliability of the polls in the General, I do not trust the English figure.

One of the big arguments in the Scottish referendum was the worry they would be chucked out of the EU.

The UKIP do far worse in Scotland than the rest of the Island.

My feeling is the two most likely results of the referendum are a narrow vote to stay, or an English only vote to leave. I think a strong vote to stay or a unanimous vote to leave by all the nations are both unlikely.

6
0
Jess
Bronze badge

re: a tough choice

Scotland would get a very easy ride in, the situation is very different to the previous referendum. They would be seeking to remain in the EU. If that process is not supper smooth then they would be doing the entire organisation a huge disservice, and I'm sure they all know that.

Schengen would not be a problem for Scotland, because it would be England that would have the stricter rules. Scotland would just allow English visas to be valid as well as Schengen visas and EEA citizens.

England would have to control its own borders, which is what has repeatedly been demanded anyway.

4
1
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: I wonder how many years would pass

A likely scenario (assuming a larger pro EU vote than the previous pro UK vote) would be a hasty rerun of the Scottish referendum. Once that is done the UK would give notification of its intention. (Probably at the end of the year) During the two years the UK would split and at the end Scotland would remain within the EU and England would be out. I also suspect part of the deal would be that EU based Brits would be able to request Scottish citizenship, rather than get chucked out.

Of course there are loads of variables. What would Wales and NI do? Would there be a rerun of the vote in England? (Because the question was for the UK, which would no longer exist.)

It would also make the controlling our borders situation even more interesting. (After the fuss about the French saying if you leave we're not doing it for you any more.) How would we stop all the EU citizens who are allowed to to live in Scotland crossing the border? (Hadrian's wall is in the wrong place.)

Interesting times.

6
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: NOT at all, equal a dislike of European people, cultures

No, just a dislike of having them able to live next door.

13
9
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: the TTIP is really good reason to get out

If would be preferable to be outside the TTIP. However leaving the EU is likely to guarantee we will sign up for something similar.

Our government is a big fan of it, and Boris has talked about signing up without the rest of Europe. (No-one to trade with otherwise if we get out.)

The rest of the EU is looking like it may reject the idea anyway.

The TTIP is a good argument to stay in.

If we get out, the likelihood is that we will be signed up for something like it, so we can trade with the US and the rest of the EU will reject it, once its biggest cheerleaders are no longer members.

15
1

Tech biz bosses tell El Reg a Brexit will lead to a UK Techxit

Jess
Bronze badge

I wonder if Dublin would pick up a lot of the business.

Yes, assuming Scotland doesn't quit the UK to remain in the EU and take it first.

5
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: refused work visas .. And why would they do that?

The outcome of a brexit is totally unknown. The first big issue is whether the whole UK votes the same way, if it doesn't that could cause serious issues. (e.g. the end of the UK, unless they come up with some part in part out by region fudge, which I wouldn't put past them).

What is known is that there will be a two year period of negotiation, during which new arrangements need to be agreed. This could be membership of the EEA, which won't really please the Kippers, or something else. Of course no agreement might be reached, in which case then our membership is cancelled and everything to do with it is void. (Or all 28 parties involved can if unanimous keep the negotiations going, not sure how likely that one is.)

The rest of the EU is going to try and ensure that the part of our economy that is EU business remains within the EU. (Tax sweeteners for relocation costs caused by boundary changes, I'm sure). They are not going to be negotiating for the good of England, (and why should they?)

If no agreement is reached and we are just out.(Which would seem to me to be of benefit to the remaining EU.) Then all the rules for EU citizens here will be the same as for non-EU citizens. (the earn £35K or you're out, earn £18 or your foreign spouse is out, etc.) And anyway, why would they choose to stay?

I would expect during the two years notice period, when we still remain in the EU, that there will be a huge market for IT contractors helping relocation projects. Probably earn enough to retire in the sun. Oh.

6
0

Big-screen Skype gets small farewell note

Jess
Bronze badge

Proprietary system abandoning more functional kit. Again.

I went back to sip during the last round of forced obsolescence.

I used sip with family until snow leopard came out and xlite 3 wasn't usable any more.

The replacement xlite was utter crap. (In fact I have found no nice sip videophones for older intel macs, Telephone is a nice audio only app, and the latest xlite is OK, but not as neat as 3).

Skype was the only alternative other than iChat (which we tried for a while).

Funnily enough, I just noticed a Skype chat plugin for Pidgin and installed it yesterday. Presumably it inherits Skype's issues with ghost online contacts and poor message delivery.

1
0

We tested the latest pre-flight build of Windows 10 Mobile. It's buggy but promising

Jess
Bronze badge

The issue with Windows Phone 7 & 8 never was UI or performance as I understand it, but the incompatibility with Windows Mobile apps coupled with the lock in to the store. (additionally there is the issue of alienating the Symbian user base by the way they 'bribed' Nokia to ditch it). Effectively WP is more a feature phone than a smart phone (but with smatphone battery life). I have never heard anyone moan about them being hard to use, just battery life or apps (depending on the user).

Attempting to use the same UI on a desktop was the issue. Now they have reversed the problem.

I have tried Windows 10 on a tablet. Utter crap. (I like it on a desktop). Reminds me of Windows CE

They don't learn.

I bet if there were a significant market for the things someone would create a Modern Shell for Windows 10 on tablets and phones.

3
2

North Dorset Council hit by ransomware, flips the bird at miscreants

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: What I don't get is why organisations don't use whitelists

Or even strip out any scripts (etc) from any non whitelisted domain.

0
1

Ad-blockers are a Mafia-style 'protection racket' – UK's Minister of Fun

Jess
Bronze badge

Register Ads

I don't use ad block, but I do use noscript (and self destructing cookies).

I get non intrusive ads, which I'm quite happy with.

If I enabled js would it be horrible here?

0
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Following a BREXIT,

I'm pretty certain a Brexit won't happen. An English exit is pretty likely though, and what you say would apply to that.

1
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: it is all governed by various treaties actually.

So what you are saying is technically all radio kit needs a licence.

The only licence you can get for TVs covers installation and use.

You cannot get one for simple ownership alone.

However owning a TV that isn't installed is outside TVL's remit, and would have to be prosecuted under a different law, which would be the same as say having any other unused non exempt radio receiver.

I have never heard of such a case, the nearest thing would be CB radio in the 80s.

I believe the licence includes a right to inspect equipment within reasonable hours (it used to) therefore no licence, no right of entry. Licence, no need of entry (except monochrome licences where they think there is a colour TV, but that shows how long ago I last had a TV)

1
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: It's perfectly LEGAL to own a tv hooked to a tv aerial with no license.

No, it's not. (Or to be fair last time I owned a TV licence it wasn't).

The licence stated for use or installation.

(It is possible it has changed to avoid covering non TV equipment capable of using iPlayer on the internet.)

1
0

BBC telly tax drops onto telly-free households. Cough up, iPlayer fans

Jess
Bronze badge

I have never had a colour TV licence (or watched illegally)

I have always been a home cinema fan. (I had a top loading LaserVision Player first.) but never that much into live TV.

I have always had a monitor on the home cinema system, and had a separate black and white TV and a mono licence. (It was actually cheaper to buy DVDs of the few series I actually cared about, than watch them live in colour).

The catch up TV came out, and I didn't need a licence so I used it, but also kept the BW TV and continued to buy a licence.

However, they changed the distributor for the licences and it became difficult to buy a mono licence. After failing several times to renew it in several shops, I actually realised I'd watched the TV for perhaps 6 hours in the previous year, and it wasn't even plugged in. I was working away from home anyway, so I decided to leave it until I returned.

Of course then TV licensing sent me offensive letters, worded as though they were warning a criminal, so I simply got rid of the TV, and binned any further letters. Had they been polite I would have entered into a dialogue, and they could probably have helped me purchase a mono licence.

I don't have any problem with them making iPlayer non free. It was nice of them to provide it free for so long anyway.

What I hope the situation is that they weren't previously permitted to lock it to a licence. (Since it is a tax on broadcast TV reception) and this will be relaxed.

However, it isn't out of the question that UK Gov are thinking of a TV licence for all video content online. That, I would object to.

12
0

Ofcom should be the BBC's ultimate overlord, UK.gov told

Jess
Bronze badge

Re: Left wing?

Aren't they massive UKIP supporters?

0
0

Windows Phone devs earn double what poor Android devs pocket

Jess
Bronze badge

If it is actually good because it is a niche market with no competition, then I suspect if many developers move to it, perhaps as a result of this article, that will cease to be the case.

3
0

Raspberry Pi celebrates fourth birthday with fruity version 3

Jess
Bronze badge

Fourth Birthday?

I must have missed the 29th Feb, the last three years.

4 years, yes

3
0

Science contest to get girls interested in STEM awards first prize to ... a boy

Jess
Bronze badge

Egalitarianism is a much better word

The word 'feminism' is sexist in itself, and it also does nothing to address all the other inequalities that are nothing to do with gender.

3
0
Jess
Bronze badge

Re: To Be Fair

The idea was to encourage girls not to patronise them.

The runners up prizes actually meant something.

Nearly the best on a level playing field.

4
1

Page:

Forums