Re: Look out Brazil
"[As a side note: I firmly believe all archaic post-war regulations should be removed and Japan should be allowed to re-arm itself as they see fit.]"
What, like how Germany was "allowed" to re-arm prior to WW2?
Unlike Germany, after WW2 Japan has never properly apologised for the atrocities their troops have committed, even worse they are denying those atrocities. The postwar generation are not taught about the real events of WW2 and hence many of them are genuinely puzzled as to why other Asian countries have such strong anti-Japanese feelings. When a prominent politician comes up with shit like this, about the use of forced prostitution :
“In the circumstances in which bullets are flying like rain and wind, the soldiers are running around at the risk of losing their lives. If you want them to have a rest in such a situation, a comfort women system is necessary. Anyone can understand that,” Hashimoto, also the Osaka mayor, told reporters in a building of the Osaka city government.
... you can understand why most of Asia doesn't want to see Japan "re-arm". Even though the Japanese military is officially a "self-defence" force, their budget is very similar to that of the UK or France and are already one of the best equipped forces in the world.
To be rehabilitated into the "civilised" world, Japan needs to at least:
- apologise sincerely, without reservations and qualifications, to the people whom the crimes were committed against, for the crimes they have committed from the beginning of the 20th century through to the dropping of the 2 atomic bombs,
- teach their children the real events concerning their quest for Asian dominance - all the atrocities and crimes committed needs to be laid bare and discussed in detail
- hunt down and bring to justice the remaining war criminals, most don't need hunting down since they're well known figures living in comfortable retirement.
- make it unlawful to deny that the Japanese have committed heinous war crimes
- pay reparations to the victims of their crimes, starting with those who have been forced into prostitution
Basically do what Germany did after WW2.