Feeds

* Posts by Graham Marsden

4954 posts • joined 19 Jan 2007

Boffins urge European Commission to reboot electric brain project

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: Science gravy train

I said it to Wilbur and I said it to Orville, that thing will never work...

1
0

European Space Agency demos MARS LANDINGS BY DRONE

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Alien

Dropship?

"We're on an express elevator to Hell. GOING DOWN!"

2
1

Alabama quadchopper hits THREE THOUSAND FEET next to AIRPORT

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Just for a moment...

... ignoring the rights and wrongs of this, that footage from *inside* the fireworks display was bloody impressive!

1
0

Don't panic! Mega cloud biz group says NSA just one among many threats

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

Re: No cloud is still the best option

Hey! You! Get off of my cloud! - The Rolling Stones

1
0

Fridge hacked. Car hacked. Next up, your LIGHT BULBS

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Why is security still an afterthought?

Why? Because it doesn't make money, that's why.

It's a cost on the bottom line, not a revenue generator so the bean counters don't want it, the bosses don't understand it and the coders are being pushed to get the product out, so security is ignored or pushed to the end of the line.

4
0

NSA dragnet mostly slurped innocents' traffic

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
FAIL

The laughable fundamental flaw with Matt Bryant's arguments...

I find it ironic (well, absolutely hilarious, actually) that Matt Bryant keeps calling us "sheeple" yet his arguments boil down to him actually saying that he *wants* us to be obedient sheeple, to not question, to accept the State snooping into our private business, to let them do whatever they want because they're the "shepherds" and they're doing it for our own good and to protect us from all those nasty wolves which are out there.

Well, thank you, Matt, but frankly I'm not falling for that nonsense and neither are most of the rest of us on here. So you feel free to keep baaa-lieving that it's all to make you safer and knuckle under to the power of the State and that you're not at any risk because you're not important enough for them to worry about and that it doesn't matter that your data and information is being stored and recorded and kept on file but some of us won't be sheep and won't simply, blindly accept this sort of thing, but will stand up for our Rights and Freedoms that people have fought wars to protect.

Oh and the final ironic flaw: Shepherds? Sheep? Lambs to the slaughter...?

ROFL!

12
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: OMGeeez!!! What a DISASTER!!! We're all DOOOOMED!!! Etc.

> Even data that the NSA has decided is irrelevant is retained by the agency

But I've been *ASSURED* that nobody is interested in us because we're just not important so *why* are they retaining this unimportant data?

Is this just the Precautionary Principle that "well you might be of interest to us later?" Perish the thought that there might be False Positives where some poor innocent sap gets caught up in the dragnet and then faces an accusation of a crime in a Kafka-esque secret court where he's not even allowed a proper defence because his legal team is not allow to actually examine the evidence against him.

Still, that's not harmful to Rights and Freedoms and Civil Liberties, is it?

6
1

Is there too much sex and violence on TV?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

@Khaptain - Re: Flower Power + Darwin

> Yes, society is on the decline

ORLY? Since before the days of Juvenal, people have been bemoaing the decline of society (mostly due to people publishing/ broadcasting/ doing things that they don't approve of) yet, somehow, we haven't lapsed back into barbarism...

5
0

ANGRY ALIENS hit by BEBO SPAMGASM probably don't exist

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Phew...

... that's lucky. Imagine what it would have been like if we'd received a whole load of cute pet xyplict photos back...

3
0

Your Android phone is a SNITCH: Wi-Fi bug makes you easy to track

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

"this means your phone will fall back to the mobile data network while the screen is off...

"...which will increase mobile data usage and power consumption."

Err, unless (as I do) I keep mobile data switched off until *I* decide to switch it on and use it...

3
0

Use Tor or 'extremist' Tails Linux? Congrats, you're on an NSA list

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

@Matt Bryant - Re: Lee D(unce) they're a spy agency

> "NSA training manuals state that 300 terrorists have been captured using intelligence from XKeyscore before 2008"

And, of course, we all believe them, don't we, boys and girls? (After all, they wouldn't say "well, actually we haven't caught anyone, but that won't stop us trying!" would they?)

(Who are these terrorists? If they're terrorists and have been captured, surely they've been charged and convicted in a court of law so we can *know* that they're terrorists? If they haven't been charged and convicted, then wouldn't that just make them "alleged terrorists"? Or is a suspicion of them being terrorists enough to call that a success...?)

> Under US law it is all legal.

Oh, well *that's* alright then! Nothing to see, move along...

> It really would be terrible if you realised you are of zero interest to anyone.

Umm, did I mis-read this bit from the article: "the extent of the paranoid agency's targeting of Tor users, Linux Journal readers and and anyone else interested in online privacy"? Why would they be targeting these people if they were "of zero interest"?

29
0

ISPs haul GCHQ into COURT over dragnet interwebs snooping

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

"...all of GCHQ's work is carried out in accordance with a strict legal and policy framework...

"...which ensures that our activities are authorised, necessary and proportionate, and that there is rigorous oversight, including from the Secretary of State..."

... who will, if anyone finds out that we've been naughty, conveniently and retro-actively change the law so that what we did that was illegal is, suddenly, now entirely legal. Nice bloke!

1
1

Lords try shoehorning law against REVENGE SMUT into justice bill

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Arnaut the less Re: Stick

> It isn't actually that hard to write into a law that it applies to the posting of pictures and comments intended to insult, humiliate or expose the victim to ridicule

Except, if you have any familiarity with the way such things are written (cf the Extreme Pornography laws) that is *not* what happens. Instead we get some vague and entirely subjective definition written into the law and then the mess is left for the Courts to sort out.

What this means, of course, is that you probably won't actually *know* if you're breaking the law until you find yourself arrested and accused.

7
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

@Arnaut the less - Re: "then don't pose for it."

> Pressure on girls to produce these pictures or have them taken can be very great. It isn't reasonable to expect teenagers and young women to resist it; some sort of law is needed to protect them.

Bullshit.

What is needed is *education* not *legislation*, just as we need to teach boys that they are *not* all "asking for it" not to teach girls that they shouldn't dress in a "provocative manner" in order to prevent themselves from being raped.

And that is why I downvoted you.

4
1

Like frozen burgers, 'Bigfoot' DNA samples have a touch of horse

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Err...

... didn't I see all this in a documentary on Channel 4 at the end of last year? What is there here that's new?

3
1

'I don't want to go on the cart' ... OpenSSL revived with survival roadmap

This post has been deleted by a moderator

PayPal says sorry: Fat fingers froze fundraiser for anti-spy ProtonMail

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

And this is why...

... I ensure I never let a large balance build up on Paypal, but transfer it out as soon as possible...

6
0

REVEALED: The sites blocked by Great Firewall of Iraq

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

It's a good thing...

... nothing like that would ever happen here...

</irony>

0
0

New Russian law punishes online 'extremism'

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@ Yet Another Anonymous coward - Re: How long

> Like it was some medieval monarchy

ITYM "like the UK under the previous Tory regime..."

2
1

SUPER EARTH possibly home to life FOUND in our 'solar backyard'

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

@TimeMaster T - Re: Missing from article

> at the other end of the couch next to the TV remote

Well I hope it doesn't fall down behind the cushions, then...

0
0

MPAA, meet the Streisand effect: Picture ass. slaps Reddit with takedown

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

For those who have never seen it...

... the original Edge of Darkness is being repeated on BBC4 starting at 10pm on Monday 30th!

7
0

What is ex-NSA spyboss selling for $1m a month, asks US congressman

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

"so that Congress can verify if classified information has been leaked"

Which is, of course, *their* job...

2
2

Creepy battery-operated TEDDY BEAR SEX TOY. Sadly, this is for real

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Happy

@Tim Worstal - Re: How bizarre

I've been in the adult products business (making and selling leather BDSM gear) for 20 years now and every time I think I've seen it all, someone comes up with a product that makes me go "I would never have thought of *that*!"

So don't be disappointed that you didn't think of this one...

1
0

US Supreme Court: Duh, obviously cops need a warrant to search mobes

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

Re: Two terrorists just...

I downvoted you because I refuse to be treated as a terrorist suspect simply for wanting to visit your country, so I simply refuse to go there.

14
1

Study of Brit students finds TXTING doesn't ruin your writing

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Texting might not ruin writing...

... but typing seems to have had that effect on mine!

I learned to touch-type many years ago and now very rarely handwrite anything more than the occasional note. So when I've tried to write anything longer, I find I have to slow down or even do some "warm-up" writing on some scrap paper to make sure the result is legible...

1
0

Super-snoop bid: UK government hits panic button on EU data retention ruling

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

@thomas k.

Goebbles was alleged to have said "If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and you will even come to believe it yourself", however there seems to be no confirmed attribution of it to him.

However there is:

"[...] voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Herman Goering

15
0

Shine on you crazy diamond: Distant dwarf may hide space jewel

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

@AC - Re: Arthur C Clarke strikes again?

Yes, Clarke did write about it and used it as part of the plot of 2061:Odyssey 3

1
0

Titan sprouts 'Magic Island', say astroboffins

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Alien

Aha!

The mystery of Lost Atlantis solved at last!!!

0
0

POTUS promises Trans Pacific Partnership text

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

@Don Jefe - Re: @dan1980

> Ugh bludgeoned his neighbor to death to claim ownership of The Monolith

That was actually Moonwatcher :-)

(Mine's the one with the copy of Clarke's "The Lost Worlds of 2001" in the pocket)

1
0

Congress passes crackdown on NSA surveillance

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

" shutting the back door on mass surveillance"

And what about the front door? And the windows? And the skylight? And then there's the route through the basement and...

4
0

#YO_NO! Messaging app 'Yo' gets hit by hackers

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Y'oh!

The post is required, and must contain letters.

4
0

DANGER MOUSE is back ... and he isn't half a GLASSHOLE

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Happy

@AC - Re: On being nick-named "Penfold"

I blame my parents for that...

1
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

On being nick-named "Penfold"

Given a lot of the potential nicknames that could have been applied (usually by petty-minded bullies who thought that references to Mars Bars were the ultimate in wit) "Penfold" was certainly not the worst by any means.

I got tagged with Penfold almost 30 years ago and still to this day there are people who call me that, rather than Graham and it's never bothered me in the slightest.

Crikey, Chief!

- Penfold

7
0

The rise of the humans: How to outsmart the digital deluge

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Happy

Re: How I outsmart the digital deluge ..

> Excuse me, but this sounds like stating the bleeding obvious ..

Yeah, but it's great when you can get paid for it!

1
0

Virgin Media boss AND ex-Murdoch man: BSkyB broadband is 'lousy'

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@sorry, what? - Re: Sieze the opportunity

Whereas I often have problems with Virgin, such as my broadband connection freezing for several seconds on an intermittent basis with no rhyme or reason that I can report to get fixed.

On several occasions over the past year or three I've called their Customer Services because of a fault that they say is with my computer/ router/ whatever and that they'll have to send out an engineer in two or three days, when the fault is actually with their system and it would be a waste of time sending an engineer, but their drones are too dim to realise this.

I also sometimes don't get the promised speeds and see downloads slow to a crawl.

The only reason I don't switch to another provider is that my BT line has been cut off (quite literally, someone has taken a pair of wire cutters to it and it ends half-way down the wall!) and they want silly money to re-connect it which would wipe out any savings or benefits I might get by changing.

1
0

Missiles-on-rooftops Brit spy Farr: UK gov can slurp your Facebook, Twitter ... What of it?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

"only practical thing for the government to do was to slurp as much online info as possible"

But, but.. I've been assured by a reliable source (well, he thinks he's reliable, anyway) that they don't want to do this!!!

0
1

POND SCUM shine a path to more efficient solar cells

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Billa Bong - Re: So what you're saying is....

Yes, but they have been working on it slightly longer than we have!

3
0

Facebook didn't infringe Dutch inventor's patents: Jury

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

'the patents were “shabby” and shouldn't have been granted'

Great, so, that's two down and how many thousands (tens, hundreds of thousands) to go...?

2
0

Space station 'nauts will use URINE-FUELLED ESPRESSO MACHINE

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

ISS 'nauts have long been drinking water recycled from their own urine

As opposed to the inhabitants of Planet Earth who have been drinking water which has been recycled from urine for billions of years?

4
0

Toyota catches up to William Gibson with LED hood

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Ashely Ward - Re: A question and a comment.

> Blue lights are actually fine and legal in the UK

From the MOT Tester's Manual

"Two front position lamps must be fitted, one on each side and show a steady white light to the front (or yellow if incorporated in a yellow headlamp)"

They must "show light of the correct colour. Note: Some front position lamps have a blue tinge to the light. This is acceptable provided the light is predominantly white."

A reason for rejection is if the light "shows a light other than red to the rear and white to the front".

1
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Vic - Re: A question and a comment.

I've heard it said that, allegedly, the Police turn a blind eye to the chav's lighting schemes most of the time because it gives them an excuse to pull them when they *really* want to :-)

2
0

Snowden's Big Brother isn't as Orwellian as you'd think

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: gaz YawnGreen Typical. @Plump & Bleaty

> I have clicked the abuse button when I see comments that contain abuse.

Hmm, I wonder how Matt would describe the comment: "STFU you boring, repetitive, lying, moronic sheep"?

2
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: YawnGreen @ All of the above posters - Typical. @Plump & Bleaty

> A script to replicate your endeavours would be more along the lines of make statement, deny statement, repeat. Throw in a few childish insults and pretend it makes an argument.

Erm, Matt, that's a mirror you're looking into...

> So, where's the proof of 'harm' you promised?

You mean *apart* from the multiple examples I and others have already given that you've ignored or moved the goalposts on?

What *would* you accept, Matt? A voice from the heavens? Carved stone tablets? It's clear that nothing is good enough to convince you that there may be another viewpoint other than yours and past evidence has shown that there's no point in wasting more time on trying to remove your blinkers.

2
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Matt Bryant - Re: Marsbarbrain @ All of the above posters - Typical.

BINGO!

1
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@ All of the above posters - Re: Typical.

You know, with a little work, we could use this list and a few other bits and pieces to create the Matt-o-Tron!

Firstly it needs to come up with an "amusing" variation on someone's name.

Then it needs to be set to cherry pick bits of arguments which it can "win" by ignoring any facts that it can't counter and introducing a selection of mobile goalposts.

Next add in various references to sheeple, comments about baaaah-lieving, assorted irrelevant straw-men arguments (and a whine or two about those who comment on this behaviour aren't adding anything to the debate) and season to taste.

Finally chuck in an ad hominem or three and BINGO: Instant Matt Bryant post!

5
1

Blame WWI, not Bin Laden, for NSA's post-9/11 intel suck

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Still...

... isn't it good to know that this sort of thing doesn't cause any "harm" or cause chilling of Civil Liberties?

(Well, I have it on good authority that it doesn't, you know...)

8
0

Wedding tackle started out as PROTO-SHARKS' LEGS, boffins say

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

So...

... it's a proto-shark with proto-fricken' lasers?

0
0

MIGHTY SOLAR FLARES fail to DESTROY CIVILISATION. Yes!

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

"they could potentially fry electronics around the world"

Ah, sounds like the recent ridiculously over-dramatic documentary about "Sun Storms" which I watched a little while ago with lots of doom-mongering predictions about how society could be destroyed by one of these events because we don't have a disaster plan to deal with it.

We also don't have a disaster plan for another Tunguska style event or a massive volcanic eruption causing a year without a summer etc, but it doesn't mean the sky is falling...

0
0

Bitcoin ransomware racket makes bank

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Sureo

> smart enough to have backup is smart enough to avoid scamware.

I wouldn't be too smug if I were you.

I'm pretty clued up on this stuff, my system is well firewalled and virus protected, I have good spam filters, I run ghostery, NoScript, Flashblock, I keep regular backups etc etc, yet still, a few weeks ago, I almost got taken in by a phishing e-mail because I had been expecting a message from $site and this one came in at virtually the same time and it came from a well faked domain name that was so close to the original so I didn't spot the substitution.

Fortunately what saved me was the fact that my browser *didn't* auto-fill the log-in details because it didn't recognise the substituted domain name, but, had I been distracted, I could have logged in and given away my details.

So although, like you, I may have been thinking "I'm not going to be caught by these scams" that was a saultary wake-up call that you can't let your guard down *ever*.

4
0

NSA: Inside the FIVE-EYED VAMPIRE SQUID of the INTERNET

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: Marsbarbrain @Matt Bryant - skelband Outrage

> Oh, I know you want to baaaah-lieve I'm wrong, it's just you hate the fact you can't prove I'm wrong.

No, I've already done it, but you just won't accept it. I'll do it again, but you'll dodge and evade and move the goalposts and bring up more irrelevancies to desperately avoid admitting it.

> You're now going to post paragraph after paragraph of denial

Oops, wrong!

> rather than admit (a) people put their secrets up online all the time,

Some people do, Matt, but as skelband (what, *still* no "amusing" variation on his name?) has said, he doesn't. Nor do I. Nor do a lot of other people, but, of course, that's not good enough for you because you want me to prove a negative.

> and (b) you cannot provide any proof that your coms have been listened to,

Again you want me to prove a negative.

> because (c) you cannot show any harm or the 'chilling of liberty' you insisted is happening.

I've already given examples, but you won't accept those because they don't fit in with your mindset, so how about this quote from David Cameron in Parliament: “We have had repeated meetings of the extremism task force — it met again yesterday — setting out a whole series of steps that we will take to counter the extremist narrative, including by blocking online sites.”

So if an online site is determined to be "extremist", it can be blocked and those who run it (and, presumably those who try to access it) can be watched and monitored even if they only came across it by accident or were conducting legitimate research as happened to the "Nottingham Two", a student and a staff member who looked at an "Al Qaeda training manual" and were subsequently arrested even though it was freely available on US Government websites.

This is no figment of my imagination, these are demonstrable *facts* and the end result of these is that anyone who knows of this case will be given pause to think "hang on, if I look at X or Y or Z I risk being arrested too, maybe I shouldn't do so..."

And that, Matt, is a Chilling Effect, whether you accept it or not.

> Please show in any of the Snowjob 'revelations' where it states the NSA or GCHQ want to read everyone's coms.

Hmm, to quote from the Guardian (who published them): "The documents show the NSA, intent on exploiting the communications revolution to the full, developing ever more intrusive programmes in pursuit of its ambition to have surveillance cover of the whole planet: total command of what the NSA refers to as the 'digital battlefield'."

> Once again, I expect you to avoid answering that and divert off into another bleating denial.

Once again you're wrong, Matt.

> And how do you expect them to get that targeting intelligence, by calling 0800-finda-jihadi? This IS one of the targeting systems.

I've already pointed out the fallacy in that argument, but still you won't accept that building a bigger haystack will make it easier to find a needle.

> why don't you try actually answering a point instead of just evading it. Well, actually it's patently obvious you can't [...] hence your continued evasions.

ROFL! Paging Mr Pott and Mr Kettle-Black!

> What secret list?

You *really* do have a problem, Matt, don't you? I can't prove a negative, therefore you win the argument! (Why not try the Chewbacca defence next?)

> ".....Like the State being able to require telecommunications providers to give them people's communication data without any evidence of wrongdoing...." You mean under a warrant, as part of a criminal investigation to find evidence of a crime? If you want to pretend otherwise then please provide a verifiable case of it happening or admit you're just making stuff up.

To quote from Big Brother Watch "When details recently emerged in the media about the Prism and Tempora programmes, codenames for previously secret online surveillance operations, it was revealed that GCHQ has the capacity to collect more than 21 petabytes of data a day – equivalent to sending all the information in all the books in the British Library 192 times every 24 hours. The disclosures have raised serious parliamentary concerns both in Britain and at the EU level."

Now, Matt, are you *honestly* trying to tell me that a warrant has been granted to cover *every* single piece of information collected by GCHQ under Tempora??

In any case, once again, Matt, feel free to get the last word (well, ad hominem attack) in. It's as clear as ever that you will not (or perhaps that's "cannot"?) listen to anything that goes against your blinkered viewpoints and your mindless acceptance that the State is only ever there for our good so we must accept every intrusion on our privacy and every infrigement of our liberties without question like good little proles.

PS perhaps "Numbskullband" would be a good variant? What do you think...?

2
1