* Posts by Graham Marsden

6868 posts • joined 19 Jan 2007

Microsoft: Here's what you'll cough up for Windows 10 next year

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Flame

Re: So that

Yep, given that 1:1 exchange rate that only ever seems to work for sellers...

2
0

Silicon Valley, episode 8: Larping, mogging and losing its way

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Meh

Run out of gags?

Odd, I watched about thirty seconds of this "comedy" and realised this...

1
0

Trial halted as Kartoon defence attorney arrested after warrant discovery

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: "If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you"...

Not an ideal solution by any stretch of the imagination...

An examination of 461 capital cases by The Dallas Morning News found that nearly one in four condemned inmates has been represented at trial or on appeal by court-appointed attorneys who have been disciplined for professional misconduct at some point in their careers. ("Quality Of Justice" Dallas Morning News, September 10, 2000).

An investigation by the Texas Defender Service found that, "Death row inmates today face a one-in-three chance of being executed without having the case properly investigated by a competent attorney and without having any claims of innocence or unfairness presented or heard." (Lethal Indifference: The Fatal Combination of Incompetent Attorneys and Unaccountable Courts Texas Defender Service, 2002).

In Washington state, one-fifth of the 84 people who have faced execution in the past 20 years were represented by lawyers who had been, or were later, disbarred, suspended or arrested. (Overall, the state’s disbarment rate for attorneys is less than 1%.) (Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Aug. 6-8, 2001).

2
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

"If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you"...

... says the Miranda warning.

Which is all well and good, but if the one appointed to you turns out to be a crook or useless or the town drunk, well, that doesn't matter, because the State has done what it says it will do.

As always, it's "how much justice can you afford"?

2
0

Hackers target Japan’s legion of pensioners, stealing wads of data

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
FAIL

And the sound you hear...

... is that of more stable doors being bolted...

2
0

Amazon reveals KiddieKindle and pocket money scheme

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: “unlike tablets, Kindle is designed just for reading”

I don't use an iPad, but in recent months I've read through the entirity of Iain M Banks' sci-fi books, the whole "Prelude to Dune" series and just finished Frank Herbert's Dune (with the rest of the series to come) on the Kindle software on my Motorola Moto G without problem.

It takes all of a couple of seconds to switch the phone on from standby and re-open the Kindle app and I charge the phone when I go to bed.

And, of course, I don't have to carry around two devices when I only need one.

PS and it cost £120 and does a lot more than just let me read books...

0
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

“unlike tablets, Kindle is designed just for reading”

So you're paying for something that looks like a tablet, feels like a tablet, but doesn't do what a tablet does, meaning it's more cost-effective to buy a bloody tablet and install the Kindle app on it...

If you want, you can then lock it down (and if your kids learn how to bypass the lock, congraulations, you've just contributed to their education!)

0
1

Nosy Brit cops demand access to comms data EVERY TWO MINUTES

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: Illustrating picture choice

Ah, come on. Obviously some El Reg Sub-ed stuck "Police" into their image bank search and that one popped out, so they stuck it in because it had some vague relevance to the story.

What else do you expect?

0
0

Case for drone usage now overwhelming as Enrique Iglesias concert almost stopped

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Mushroom

It was obviously...

... the wrong sort of drone.

(Should have been one of the ones that carry Hellfire missiles...)

0
0

UK surveillance commish asks CCTV operators to please be good

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

"lets discuss it again when you're a victim of crime and CCTV would have got you justice."

So you can prove that someone being caught committing a crime on CCTV *will* ensure that we get "justice"?

No, didn't think so...

1
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Childcatcher

@cornz 1 - Re: Quick point

It's easy to pick an extreme case and say "Look at this, doesn't this justify what they want to do?!" (see icon for details!) but it's not the black-and-white extreme cases that are the problem, it's all the shades of grey which are in between.

Once that sort of thing gets in place, it's so much easier for function creep to extend laws to places it was never (supposedly) intended to be, for example Anti-terrorism legislation being used to convict anyone who won't hand over their passwords...

2
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

Re: Quick point

> I feel every street should have a camera [...] They are a force for good if deployed properly.

Ah, the same argument as the ones that say we should allow all our communications to be tapped and our every movement monitored and our web activity recorded and our e-mails scanned...

Thank you for being so happy to give up *our* civil liberties to make *your* job easier.

PS Why didn't you go the whole hog and trot out the "It will protect children" argument too?

18
2

Welp, PEAK GIF is upon us! Facebook now supports animated images

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

"you might expect The Register to illustrate this story with an animated .gif of its own"

Why? When they can annoy us with another massive, pointless (and massively pointless) Hero Image...

6
0

Germany licks lips, eyes new data gulp with revised retention law

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

"Special people"

No doubt that will include politicians.

(Although the NSA might have other thoughts about that...!)

5
0

Wearable fitness tech: Exercising your self-motivation skills

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Talk about...

... a solution in search of a problem!

How many of these are going to end up slung in the back of a drawer after a week/ month/ year?

3
0

BRAIN STORM: Nine mislaid cerebra found near railway line in New York

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

"Erm, excuth me, Marthter...

"... but I appear to have mithlaid the thupplith..."

1
0

Why voice and apps sometimes don't beat an old-fashioned knob

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

@Refugee from Windows - Re: Ergonomics, the forgotten discipline...

I'm sure you mean you want something that you can Share and Enjoy! (tm)

3
0

Zuck-Up as Facebook Messenger app tracks you everywhere forever

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

@Irongut

> if an app's settings say it will share your location then it shares your location?

The problem is not what the app says, nor even, necessarily, what it does.

The problem is that you are automatically opted *in* to such a thing instead of getting a choice of whether or not you want to allow it.

1
0

Sex disease surge in US state partly blamed on hook-up apps

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Laura Kerr - Re: "Having sex without a condom" is the primary culprit

> it must say a bit about the intelligence of the people using hook-up apps, if they think they don't need to skin up properly

That's not necessarily a failure in intelligence, it may well be a failure in education.

As has already been mentioned, the "abstinence only" nonsense has been shown to put those who undergo it at greater risk because when the wheels (or underwear!) comes off, they don't have the knowledge of how to protect themselves from STIs.

Then, of course, you have certain religions who teach that using a condom is wrong (even though even the Vatican has accepted that it's ok to use one to avoid catching HIV) or those in such religions who blatantly lie and claim that they won't prevent against such infections.

It's shocking that there are people in this world who will quite happily put others at risk simply to try to enforce their religious "principles" :-(

4
2

Don't PANIC but ... UNSTOPPABLE robots IMMUNE to injury built by boffins

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

Re: "Once damaged, the robot becomes like a scientist,"

... but before it moves again it has to submit a Grant Proposal...

11
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: drips oil on the floor, and it gets to the point you can't stand anymore...

Why won't you DIE?!"

1
1

NEVER MIND the B*LLOCKS Osbo peddles, deficits don't really matter

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: @LucreLout - It seems to me...

I refer the gentleman to the post I made above his.

0
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

Re: @LucreLout - It seems to me...

> You've soaked up the spin, drank it down like facts, burped it up here, and then you have the temerity to criticise me?

Hello Mr Pot, this is Mr Kettle calling...

0
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: @LucreLout - It seems to me...

It's amazing, LL, how you manage to completely fail to comprehend what is written in nice, plain, easy to understand English and, instead, just want to put your own spin on it because that fits in with your mindset...

0
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@LucreLout - Re: It seems to me...

I think this blog posts explains it better than I can

PS If you think I have any love for the Labour Party just because I disagree with the Tories, you really have missed the point.

1
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

@Doctor Syntax - Re: @Richard 12 - It seems to me...

Yes, because it's right that a party that gets 36% of the votes gets over 50% of the seats, so it must be equally right that parties which get 12% or 4% of the votes should both get 0.15% of the seats...

0
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Richard 12 - Re: It seems to me...

First suggestion: Fix our broken electoral system that allows a party with a third of the votes to get half the seats and claim that this "majority" gives them a right to do whatever they like!

5
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

It seems to me...

... that George's aim is not simply to give us a "small state", but to utterly cripple the ability of any future government to undo what he has done because he will have sold (sorry, privatised) so much of our social, welfare and justice system that it would be almost impossible to get it back without bankrupting the country.

Of course the fact that the people who benefit most from this will be his rich mates (and his fellow Tory Party members who will be in line for tidy and lucrative Directorships) and at the expense of all the "little people" who will end up paying through the nose is neither here nor there...

9
6

NASA picks tools for voyage to possibly LIFE-SUPPORTING moon Europa

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: Stay Away

ITYM 2010...

All these worlds...

7
1

Queen's Speech: Snoopers' Charter RETURNS amid 'modernisation' push

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

"close a capability gap"

Oh, what a *lovely* expression! Sounds meaningful, but is actually complete BS.

What is this "gap"? The gap between being able to monitor *some* communications and being able to monitor *all* communications? The one between having the ability to track a few people and all the people?

Or maybe it's the gap between our Civil Liberties and their idea of a Total Surveillance State?

About the only good news is that they've kicked their stupid plans to repeal the Human Rights Act into the long grass because they finally realised they weren't going to be able to rush that one through (but, as this shows, that doesn't mean they won't try to sneak it through in a couple of years...)

21
3

Why are all the visual special effects studios going bust?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

"Money flows to whoever it is that has the rare thing."

Unfortunately sometimes that "rare thing" is huge pots of money and the willingness to use it to achieve one's aims no matter what...

"this also explains why competitive markets work so well. If all the stages in the production chain are in good supply, with no-one having a lock on any rare part of it, then the only rarity left is in our consumer desire to have that thing, good or service. Which means that the gains accrue to us,"

This also explains why markets *need* to be regulated by people who are outside them, because otherwise the player with the big money can afford to either buy out their competitors and establish a monopoly position or copy their competition's product and sell it at a loss, knowing that they can afford to do so until their competitor goes bust trying to compete (or paying for lawyers) or sells up to them.

Once that's happened, they can get a lock on that product, whatever it may be, and ensure that nobody else gets a look in to the market. At which point the consumer starts losing out because choice is stifled, competition is non-existent, the price goes up and it's trebles all round!

See Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Carnegie, Google, Amazon, eBay...

13
5

Make Adama proud: Connect your Things wisely, cadet

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Terminator

By...

... your command!

2
1

There's a Moose loose aboot this hoose: Linux worm hijacks Twitter feeds for spam slinging

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti

A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli!

3
0

NATS ignored previous recommendations – IT cock-up report

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

Re: Qantas?

> Methinks the pic has been nicked from another story!

"Surely you can't be serious..."

"I am, and don't call me Shirley!"

(The original story was called Airplane, of course)

0
0

Chap mines Bitcoin with PUNCH CARDS and ancient mainframe

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Pint

That's nothing...

... there are people out there who have figured out that it would be possible to mine Bitcoins using abacuses!

(Ok, it would take the lifetime of a few universes, but that's a minor issue...)

0
1

Wheely, wheely mad: Petrolheads fume over buggy Formula One app

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Unhappy

Come back A1 GP...

It was a great shame the A1 GP series never worked out because it was so much better than F1.

With only one team per country and the cars being built to a single design which you only had limited rights to modify meant that it really came down to a test of driver skill, not simply who could spend the most money on development.

Couple that with the two races per meeting, a short sprint and then a longer event with a certain number of "push to pass" activations per race meant genuinely exciting racing, rather than, as happens with F1, I put the highlights on and work on my computer next to my TV until the commentators get excited, then I look up to see if anything interesting has happened...

2
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

Wow...

... I didn't know they were equipping F1 cars with airbags now...

... or passenger seats, or in-car entertainment systems, or standard seatbelts, or aircon or...

1
1

ZX Spectrum 'Hobbit' revival sparks developer dispute

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

Re: Mondegreen

Well we've had Elvis versus The Mummy in Bubba Ho-tep...

0
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

Thorin...

... sits down and starts singing about gold.

"Gold, gold, gold, gold..."

0
1

GDS to handle Govt payments? What could possibly go wrong?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: “Government as a platform”

Mind the GaaP...

0
1

Is your career lacking growth? Become a porn inspector! Hint: It sucks

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

TO: Successful Applicants -

Count yourself lucky you're not living in ancient China when, to attain high rank in their Civil Service, you had to be a eunuch!

1
1

Snowden latest: NSA planned sneak attacks on Android app stores

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

"may make sense from a very narrow national security mindset...

"...but it's at the expense of the privacy and security of hundreds of millions of users worldwide."

"Ah, but to protect their security, we had to compromise it! Anyway, it's only the bad guys who will object. You aren't objecting, are you...?"

4
1

NASA plots interplanetary cubesat swarms

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@cray74 - Re: Cube swarms in space...

Apparently Shatner wrote a story that described how V'Ger met the Borg.

That's why we had "We are V'Ger of Borg" and why the Borg had those incredibly powerful plasma globes and massive ships that...

... err... well...

1
1

Mobiles at school could be MAKING YOUR KID MORE DUMBER

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: They actually allow phones to be switched on during class?

Allegedly they use versions of those "mosquito" devices as the notification tone because they can hear pitches that high whereas most adults can't.

Although I've also seen it said that kids can be spotted using their phones because most people don't tend to look down at their crotches and smile...

0
1

Manchester car park lock hack leads to horn-blare hoo-ha

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: This was in Manchester?

Can't be Manchester, it still has all its wheels...

1
2
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
FAIL

This was in Manchester?

Manchester England, yes?

And were any cars were on fire? No?

So, El Reg, what the FUCK does a picture of American Firefighters attacking a burning American car with axes have to do with this story?

Please stop with this "Hero Image" bullshit, it's getting really stupid now.

15
2

US Air Force launches not-so-secret space plane. Thanks Russia

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

"it will be testing out a new ion drive for military satellites"

Satellites? Oh, yeah, sure, satellites...

5
1

Virtual reality pr0n on the Rift? 'Why not?' says Oculus founder

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Meh

Re: The Red Dress

Now if El Reg *really* wanted to do something clever with their silly Hero Images, they could have it switch from the Woman in the Red Dress to Agent Smith if you moused over it...

4
1

Twitter CRAWLS to Google ON ITS KNEES, starts blowing content

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Adding '-twitter.com' to search query string will work, right?

> if I really wanted to know twaddlers' opinions about $topic, I'd just hit myself over the head until I stopped thinking that way!

FTFY :-)

3
2

Uncle Sam spanks PayPal for credit scheme cockup

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Holmes

So...

... PayPay *is* acting like a bank, then...!

1
0

Forums