* Posts by Graham Marsden

6842 posts • joined 19 Jan 2007

ANIMALS being CUT UP to make Apple Watch straps

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

@Triggerfish - Re: @Graham Marsden

> how do you farm sharks?

I'm not sure. Wouldn't the plough sink?

3
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

@Amorous Cowherder

Which part of "farmed" didn't you understand?

4
1

Labour Party website DDoS'd by ruly democratic mob

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: Can someone answer this question?

> To go after a multinational company you need a multinational attack.

So because you "heard him say that he would gather international support to change tax agreements" means he's not going to do it? Or maybe you haven't looked very hard.

From a recent speech he made, two policies on tax he wants to introduce:

"The introduction of a proper anti-avoidance rule into UK tax law.

"The aim of country-by-country reporting for multinational corporations"

I think "country-by-country reporting" sounds like he's doing exactly what you say.

5
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

@AC - Re: Can someone answer this question?

> "on average" people are better off under the budget

Which is about as meaningful as saying that "on average nobody has two legs" because there are people who have fewer than two.

Telling people who are working in Minimum Wage jobs or on Zero Hours contracts that they should be happy because, "on average" people are better off, whilst they're living virtually hand to mouth with little money for luxuries, let alone to be able to save for a mortgage etc is not going to wash.

Still, as Douglas Adams said "Nobody was poor, at least nobody worth speaking of."

20
10
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

@jason 7 - Re: Can someone answer this question?

"Just where is this great economic boom for Great Britain with a Right-wing, neo-liberal austerity loving chancellor like George Osborne going to come from instead of concentrating the majority of the wealth in the off-shore bank accounts of a small minority?

"It all goes very quiet at that point."

FTFY

(PS I'll say again that I have no more love for Labour or Corbyn than I do for the Tories and Cameron or the Lib Dems and... err, whoever, but until we have a bigger choice of people to vote for than the Blue Tories, the Red Tories or the Purple Tories or the Yellow idiots who got shafted by the Tories, then nothing is going to improve.)

30
17

Care.data is a complete omnishambles, says study into hated scheme

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Holmes

See icon...

...for details

1
0

Stop taking drug advice from Kim Kardashian on Twitter, sighs watchdog

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

"Stop taking ANY advice...

"...from people on Twitter without checking it with reputable sources!"

FTFY

2
0

NASA primed for 9-minute live test of mighty rocket motor

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

"send Orion farther into space than humans have ever ventured"

So is that the Orion is going further or it's going to *take* humans further than Lunar orbit?

2
0

Typewriters suck. Yet we're infinitely richer for those irritating machines

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: Heating

> A standard part of a middle class British lifestyle in the 1960s would be ice forming on the inside of the bedroom window overnight

Or, indeed, living in a bedsit in the 1990s (and probably even today in some places...)

2
0

ZTE says it won't allow exec to appear in US court over arrest fears

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

"US [...] which has repeatedly accused the telecoms firm...

"...of using its technology to aid the Chinese government in spying on its international rivals."

How dare they! Don't they know it's only the US who are allowed to do that?!

15
1

FAIL: Windows 10 bulk patch produces INFINITE CRASH LOOP

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Film @ 11

No, it's a farce!

6
0

IWF shares 'hash list' with web giants to flush out child sex abuse images online

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@adnim

Thank you for that post.

Of course the fact is that, just with groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Gamblers Anonymous etc, there are ways of helping people come to terms with their desires and control them with the support of others, but, regrettably, they come up against the twin problems of the NIMBYs who would say "well, yes, I suppose these people should be able to get treatment, but not anywhere within 100 miles of a child" and the Tabloid Media, who would take great delight in "outing" any such organisation and broadcasting its location and membership to every witch-burner and vigilante out there.

6
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@AC - "Not Pornography"

"Nasty, horrific, criminal stuff."

ORLY?

Samantha Fox and other models like her posed for photographs when they were 16. This was perfectly legal and above board with no exploitation, nothing horrific and no criminality.

Then, some years ago, the Government of The Vicar of St Albions decided that this sort of thing wasn't acceptable to their prudish moralistic standards and decided to redefine "child" from "someone under 16" to "someone under 18".

So now such images are classed as "child pornography" or, if you prefer "abuse".

Of course our witch-burning tabloids were delighted that images of someone who is over the legal age of consent for sexual activity were now criminalised...

9
0

You'll LITERALLY PAY for getting tricked into visiting these scam sites

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Opt-out?

ITYM we should have to *opt in* to even be able to have such things happen on *our* phones...

"Do you want sites you visit with your mobile to be able to direct charges to your phone bill? [Y/N]"

4
0

Get thee behind me, Satanic mills! Robert Owen's Scottish legacy

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Tim Worstall - Most businessmen do actually get it.

"Pay or conditions a bit over market average will enable you to pick and choose who you employ [...] It's relative wages that count there"

In other words "Be happy you're getting a bit more money than those other poor bastards and don't rock the boat, otherwise you could be back at the bottom of the pile."

Meanwhile it's trebles all round in the board room...

*cough* Cui Bono? *cough*

6
3

Google's new parent Alphabet owns abc.xyz – and, yup, there's already an abc.wtf

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: In related news

D™A™M™N™

3
0

Random numbers aren't, says infosec boffin

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: Bonds

"The first ERNIE was built at the Post Office Research Station by a team led by Sidney Broadhurst.The designers were Tommy Flowers[14] and Harry Fensom and it is based on Colossus, the world's first digital computer.[15][16] It was introduced in 1957,[1] and generated bond numbers based on the signal noise created by neon tubes."

[...]

"ERNIE 4 uses thermal noise in transistors as its source of entropy for generating true random numbers; the original ERNIE used a gas neon diode. Pseudorandom numbers, often called simply random, can be recreated by anybody who knows the algorithm used to generate them as they are produced in a deterministic way; true random numbers can not. The randomness of ERNIE's numbers derives from random statistical fluctuations in the physical processes involved. ERNIE's output is independently tested each month by an actuary appointed by the government, and the draw is only valid if it is statistically random."

3
0

Return of the Jedi? StarWars.co.uk bod to fight the Empire (Disney)

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
WTF?

"A notice to appeal...

"...costs £360 (US$560) and provides a further 15 working days for the formal appeal. The formal appeal costs £3600 (US$5,600)."

Ah, "How much Justice can you afford?"

17
0

Germany formally drops ‘treason’ case against Netzpolitik journos

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

“Now would be the right time to discuss improved whistleblower protection..."

"...but is very probably not going to happen because National Surveillance Security is so much more important that Civil Liberties and Freedom of Expression."

FTFY

4
0

It's incredibly easy to bump someone off online, and here's how to do it – infosec bod

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Alert

"you're still deceased as far as the law is concerned"

Which, surely, has benefits too...

"I arrest you for the crime of..."

"... you can't arrest me, I'm dead!"

"Ok, then we'll bury you."

"Nope, you can't do that either because a Doctor can't declare Life Extinct as there's no medical cause of death."

"Err..."

1
0

Boffinry breakthrough: Bullied bumble bot bolts brutal brat beatdowns

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Terminator

Re: 3 Laws

Dave Langford's version...

1) A robot will not harm authorized Government personnel but will terminate intruders with extreme prejudice.

2) A robot will obey the orders of authorized personnel except where such orders conflict with the Third Law.

3) A robot will guard its own existence with lethal antipersonnel weaponry, because a robot is bloody expensive.

6
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Holmes

"kids [...] will bully, harass, and sometimes even attack robots"

Congratulations! You've just discovered that kids can be little bastards!

16
0

Apple, Google should give FBI every last drop of user information, says ex-HP CEO and wannabe US prez Carly Fiorina

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Holmes

"We know that we could have detected and repelled some of these cyber attacks..."

"...if that collaboration had been permitted," [This section possibly contains original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding inline citations. Statements consisting only of original research should be removed.]

2
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Paris Hilton

@Spaceman Spiff

Sorry, but that information is restricted as it may compromise National Security.

And, sorry, no, we can't tell you anything about what there is in there that would compromise National Security because that would compromise National Security too!

3
0

Tobacco field bacteria offers hope for buzz-kill smoking therapy

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

"at 98 degrees Fahrenheit"...

... This is the 21st Century calling...

4
2

Death to DRM, we'll kill it in a decade, chants EFF

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Holmes

"when one party in a suicide pact pulls out, the other one does too"

Is it a suicide pact when Corporate America is holding a gun to your head...?

15
1

Want to download free AV software? Don't have a Muslim name

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Hello, my name is John Smith...

*cough* Allahu akhbar! *cough*

6
0

Copyright troll wants to ban 'copyright troll' from its copyright troll lawsuit

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

"Please stop them using these words..."

Paging Barbra Streisand...

7
0

Windows 10 wipes your child safety settings if you upgrade from 7 or 8

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

@P Lee - Re: @Hans 1

> Nicely ripped out of context.

>> Also told them that that has nothing to do with what you actually do with the opposite sex. After all, porn is just for perverts and the insane.

If he'd left it as just the first sentence, I wouldn't have commented. Adding the second sentence, however, makes a big difference.

Unfortunately you also seem to have missed the point with your ridiculous Straw Man arguments of "Hands up who wants a 12-yo watching them get it on... anyone? As for the insane - well maybe those who think putting porn in the hands of a twelve-yo is a good idea?"

The "sex education" children get here in the UK is mostly useless nonsense, more designed to placate Middle England than actually helping children learn about sex and (more importantly) relationships.

Consequently they *don't know* that porn "has nothing to do with what you actually do with the opposite sex", so they try to replicate that (with all the deleterious emotional consequences that follow) and, because they don't know better, results in increased levels of teenage pregnancies and STIs.

We need to teach children what they need to know *before* they know it and not with the coy and embarrassed "education" they get at the moment. Compare this with countries like the Netherlands which start to teach children about sexuality from about the age of 6 (cue the Mail frothing at the mouth about our children being "corrupted"!) and you might start to understand the situation.

3
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

@Hans 1

> porn is just for perverts and the insane

Nice open minded viewpoint you have there...

15
0

AIDS? Ebola? Nah – ELECTRO SMOG is our 'biggest problem', says Noel Edmonds

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Happy

@BenBell

Nice comments section on that item...

3
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: He's possibly right about Ebola

> Ebola has been massively over-hyped.

Yeah, but nobody ever made a scary film about Flu, Malaria, TB or Motor Vehicle Accidents...

3
0

McAfee tells El Reg: 'My shootout with the police was highly exaggerated'

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

"Pity stayed his hand...

"... Pity I've run out of bullets", he thought.

- Bored of the Rings

9
0

German prosecutor given Das Boot over Netzpolitik treason charge

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Happy

Re: Downfall?

Damn, you just beat me to that one...

0
0

Screw your cutesy plastic art tat, the US govt has found a use for 3D printing: DRUGS!

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

I have to admit...

... my first reaction of this was "WTF?" because it seemed to be a definite case of using a sledgehammer (or maybe a piledriver) to crack a nut, but as I read further and the reason for using this method to "print" a tablet, ie fast delivery of amounts of the drug which would normally take multiple tablets, I realised that actually it's a bloody neat idea.

Well done for some creative thinking guys!

6
0

Chechen women swindle ISIS via social media: 'We need roubles to join you xx'

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
WTF?

@Chris W - Re: Why arrest them?

> It's only a short step away from this to claiming Peter Sutcliffe was doing some good.

Is this some new form of Godwin?

18
0

Websites that ID you by how you type: Great when someone's swiped your password, but...

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Providing they have JavaScript enabled...

Hello NoScript, my old friend

You've helped me stay safe once again

Because a website softly sneaking,

Watched my fingers while I was keying,

And the Javascript that was planted in the pages

Still outrages

Within the sound of typing.

9
0

Obsolescence of food is complete: Soylent now comes in bottles

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

Sneer at this if you want...

... but how many geeks on here would find it even more convenient if they could simply plug in a power cord and recharge, rather than have to waste valuable computer time cooking and eating food?

9
2

Global spy system ECHELON confirmed at last – by leaked Snowden files

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

@moiety

> I like very much the idea of only targeted surveillance with judicial approval; but sometimes shit goes down too quickly for that.

And then, six months *after* the "shit goes down", we find out that the Security Services had the information all along, but it was buried in such a huge pile of other crap that it was overlooked or discounted.

52
1

BAD things happen to GOOD robots in America: hitchBot DECAPITATED

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Alien

Of course actually...

... it was kidnapped by Aliens and subjected to all sorts of probing.

It will then return a couple of hundred years in the future on a mission to find its creator...

3
0

Lottery chief resigns as winning combo numbers appear on screen BEFORE being drawn

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Alert

Re: Lie Detectors

Yes, they absolutely work.

And I'm willing to take a Lie Detector Test to prove that I really do have a bridge for sale...

16
0

Linus Torvalds warns he's in no mood to be polite as Linux 4.2 drags

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Happy

@ Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor - Re: Give em' a break

> You get ONE LOUSY CHARACTER WRONG and this is what happens ;-)

You must be new here...

9
0

Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations stalled until November

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Devil

USA "so out-of-whack with the rest of the world "

No, it's the rest of the world who are out of whack with the USA!

5
0

ATTACK of the ZOMBIE SATELLITE: Run radio hams, run!

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

@DougS - Re: can we use it for target practice?

> Maybe NASA should offer a $10 million prize

I have a Mr Blofeld on the line...

0
0

Edge out rivals? No! Firefox boss BLASTS Microsoft's Windows 10 browser brouhaha

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

Microsoft...

... back to their old tricks again...

24
20

Download Fest goers were human guinea pigs in spy tech experiment, admit police

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: 77 hits?

And how many False Positives did they get in that time...?

1
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Joke

@Adam 52

So perhaps we should tell the Police "If you can't stand the crime, don't do the time"...?

2
0

Top German data cop slaps down Facebook's real name policy

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: There is an important reason behind that Real Name thing..

> When you sign up to such a service, you engage in a contract.

Which AIUI is unenforceable in many places because, for a contract to be binding, *both* parties should have the right to negotiate terms, instead of being told "this is how it is, take it or leave it".

3
0

Italy: Human rights are so old hat. The future's in internet rights

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

You may mock...

... but at least someone is trying to do *something* to level the playing field.

Maybe it won't work, however it might just get people thinking about what's happening out there.

0
0

Let kids delete their online rants, demand campaigners

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Devil

You haven't met some of the children I have...

1
0

Forums