Feeds

* Posts by Graham Marsden

5144 posts • joined 19 Jan 2007

Bladerunner sequel might actually be good. Harrison Ford is in it

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Jess - Re: "Surely Harrison Ford is now too old...

"...to play a character with an engineered short life-span?"

> Did he have a short lifespan?

> Rachael didn't.

Yes she did, in all versions of the film which didn't have the Happy Ending forcibly bolted onto the end of the film by the Studio who thought the original ending was too bleak (probably according to their Focus Groups...)

0
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Bob Vistakin

Ridley Scott said a couple of years ago that he thought Deckard was a replicant.

0
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Unhappy

@AC "Even though the two follow up books weren't by PKD

"...I'm fairly sure they will be better than the story than will be knocked up for this film."

I tried reading "Blade Runner 2" by KW Jeter, which tried to square the circle between the original PKD book and the film and failed utterly.

If that is better than this film, stay *well* clear!!!

0
0

Rosetta science team thinks Philae might come to life in the spring

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Shirts???

Scientists - "We've just landed a probe on a comet!"

Media - "Yeah, whatever. Have you seen the *shirt* that guy is wearing?!"

2
0

NASA 'nauts have a go on Star Trek replicator IN SPAAAAACE (sort of)

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

@stuartnz - Re: Did someone say tea?

I'm sure it will produce something we can all Share and Enjoy!

4
0

EU-Canada airline passenger data-sharing is not a done deal

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

@AC - Re: “There is no proof that...

> You and I will never know. That's why you and I have no say in what goes on with the data

Maybe not, but our elected representatives should know what is being done in our names and if *they* aren't convinced by the smoke and mirrors from the Security Services, we can be pretty certain that we should not simply bend over and take it.

0
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

“There is no proof that...

"...the mass collection and storage of air passenger data helps in combating terrorism, as some claim"

Hear bloody hear!

At least *someone* gets it!

4
0

NSA SOURCE CODE LEAK: Information slurp tools to appear online

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

"release some of its data analysis tools"

Pardon my cynicism, but exactly *what* is this supposed to prove?

They're not going to release their *actual* current state-of-the-snooping-art tools, are they? So what is this? Something that they may have used 20 years ago? Something that is now probably completely obsolete, I don't doubt.

This is spin, pure and simple, they're saying "Look, look at this! Be impressed! See, we're being open and honest and you should not pay any attention to the man behind the curtain...

0
0

MI6 oversight report on Lee Rigby murder: US web giants offer 'safe haven for TERRORISM'

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

"could have supplied intelligence which could have saved Rigby"

Note the two uses of the word "could". Not "would", just "could".

Well so could have MI5 not deciding that the killers were not a "major threat" despite knowing about them since 2010, but, of course, anything that can be parlayed into an excuse to monitor and track us even more is just a really good thing as far as the Security Services are concerned...

5
0

Two driverless cars stuffed with passengers are ABOUT TO CRASH - who should take the hit?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: collision detection systems can't currently see around corners

> speed where it knows it can stop within half the distance it can see

Exactly.

All(? Many? Most?) of these "Ethical Dilemmas" come down to people who don't a) understand safe driving principles or b) understand how such principles would be programed into self-driving cars or c) both.

Perhaps they should be required to sign up to their local RoSPA/ IAM/ Bikesafe/ equivalent so they can actually *learn* about sensible road use before commenting.

There again, I think the same should go for most drivers and a lot of bikers too...

6
2

All ABOARD! Furious Facebook bus drivers join Teamsters union

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Queasy Rider - Re: To not sound stupid, read article before posting

> gas is cheap, NOT

ORLY?!

Try living over here in the UK where "gas" (ie petrol) currently costs around £1.20 (=$1.88) per litre and tell us again how "expensive" it is!

2
0

Our system handles £130bn and it's BUST. Want the job of fixing it? Apply to UK.gov

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: Cheapskates

Count yourself lucky you're not an unemployed IT specialist, otherwise you could have been dumped on it as part of Workfare and been told "Do this for us for free or we sanction your benefits..."

0
0

World leaders rubber-stamp tax recoup effort at G20 gabfest

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Unhappy

@AC - FTFY

The politicians whose rich mates are benefitting from this are not going to make *that* much of an effort to actually do anything about it because they'll get a "million quid a year for nominally working 24 hours" directorship promised to them...

8
0

Japanese boffins build rounders-playing ROBOT SCHOOLGIRL

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Alert

Re: Not sure playing rounders is required....

Yebbut I don't think they'd want one of those machines in a short skirt and white panties...

0
0

Ha ha, fooled you! Shares tumble over G4S fake website profit warning

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Follow the money...

... just look for who sold the stock short before the announcement and turned a tidy profit...

0
0

How many digital commissioners does it take to change a lightbulb? 13!

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Happy

Re: 13? No way !

You forgot the comprehensive lightbulb installation risk assessment...

2
0

Bible THUMP: Good Book beats Darwin to most influential tome title

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Alert

"contains principles and guidelines to be a good person”

So does Grimms' Fairytales, but at least the authors admit that it was all made up...

5
1

Sky: We're no longer calling ourselves British. Yep. And Broadcasting can do one, too

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Unhappy

@ukgnome - Re: So does this mean

> That I will be getting a lower price..

Not while they can sell you a "package" which contains all the channels *apart* from the "Premium" ones which make them the most money and which you have to pay through the nose for because they've spent huge amounts making sure that they have a monopoly on new films and sports and...

0
1

Is your kid ADDICTED to web porn? Twitter? Hint: Don't blame the internet

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@JDX

> kids are likely to stumble across pretty extreme stuff right off the bat

Fine, so what do we do? Forbid them from having computers? Ban them from seeing it? Try to block it?

Or maybe we need to *educate* children about these matters *before* they come across it and teach them that porn != sex and that there are things called "relationships" which are important with things like treating others with respect that need to be learned...

6
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@FlatSpot -Re: "I also don't see any involvement of the internet"

> They should be "locked in" until 18, end of..

Yes, that will solve the problem of child abuse because when they hit 18 they're no longer children, so it's not child abuse any more!

Brilliant idea!!

Abused adults? Oh, that's not an issue, they're adults now, they should have to deal with that themselves...

6
0

If only 0.006% care about BLOOD-SOAKED METAL ... why are we spending all this cash?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

@Brenda McViking - Re: Would you care enough to pay more for ...

> Workfare was designed to give people work experience so they can come off the dole

Riiiight...

Except when, as in the case mentioned, companies can lay off workers (who they would have had to pay) and then get those workers back *FOR FREE*, something has gone wrong.

That's why IDS and his mates (with the collusion of the Labour Party!) had to rush through a retro-active change in the law to stop them having to pay compensation to people who had been forced to work for nothing at Poundland and similar places.

If "workfare" actually ensured that people were paid the minimum wage (let alone a Living Wage") I wouldn't have a problem with it, but that isn't what IDS wants because it doesn't fit with the "benefits blame" culture he is fostering.

I have also been on the Dole but, fortunately, before such nonsense as this came about. Now I work and pay taxes, however I do not begrudge the proportion of that money that goes to help those who need the Safety Net of benefits.

As for "This is part of the government acting to ensure that you don't get it both ways at the taxpayers expense, which, as a taxpayer, has my full support" I bet you're one of the people who believe what they read in the Daily Mail or other such august purveyors of "the truth" and think that 27% of the total claimed in benefits is fraudulent, instead of the the actual figure which is around *ONE* percent

(And, of course, it's a tiny fraction of the money lost through tax evasion and avoidance by big corporations...)

0
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

Re: Would you care enough to pay more for ...

We *have* modern day slavery in the UK, courtesy of Iain Duncan Smith. It's his "workfare" scheme.

Read this Guardian article (yes, it's from Tim Worstall's favorite newspaper!) about a guy who had worked for a Recycling company and got the minimum wage three years ago, but now the DWP has told him he's got to work there again, just to get his benefits.

In other words, he'd be doing the same job, they'd be getting the same labour, but he would *ONLY* be getting Benefits, not even the minimum wage!

He refused, so they said "Fine, you're turning down a job, we'll sanction your benefits".

Nice people...

5
4
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

"The Dodd-Frank Act...

"...means that all American-listed companies must ask each of their suppliers whether they use minerals from the region and if so, do they distinguish between conflict-free materials and not such. Even the SEC, the body charged with overseeing this process, estimates that this will cost $4bn."

So, Tim, exactly *how many* American-listed companies would this affect?

Well according to www.kpmg.com/US/en/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications/dodd-frank-series/Documents/dodd-frank-and-conflict-minerals-rule-q4.pdf it will be "about 6,000" which averages out at around $666,666 (nice number) per company if spread evenly (yes, I know it wouldn't, but it puts it in a little more perspective, doesn't it?)

Given the sizes of the major players involved I'd guess they'd end up paying more than that, but I'd think this is likely to be an entry under "other expenses" on their books. The smaller companies with only a few suppliers would, of course, be paying an awful lot less anyway.

More importantly, however, is the fact that most people aren't even *aware* of the issue of Conflict Minerals, but if we start saying to chip manufacturers etc "hang on, maybe there's anothe way of sourcing these minerals *without* chucking money into a warzone", they may start to realise that there's a PR benefit too which, naturally, they will trumpet, thus encouraging other manufacturers to follow suit.

So is Dodd-Frank *really* such a bad thing? Or is it only because it affects your bottom line?

3
2

EU battles over 'anti-terrorist' passenger records slurper law

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Completely reasonable

> Requiring this information for airline passengers is completely reasonable

Yes, because someone wanting to travel on an aeroplane means that they must be considered to be a potential terrorist...

3
0

We don't NEED NO STEENKIN' DRONE RULES, peers told

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Hargrove

> In other words, the elected representatives of the people, and the people themselves can butt out of the discussion

No, it means that the "elected representatives of the people" (well, more like "representatives of their Party leaders' wishes to the people") don't need to pass any more draconian knee-jerk "we must be seen to be doing something to appease the tabloid media" legislation when we *already* have laws which cover the situation.

For once it seems that a modicum of common sense is actually being applied.

0
0

GOD particle MAY NOT BE GOD particle: Scientists in shock claim

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

In a word: "funding-drive".

No, in a word (not hyphenated) "Science".

Just because someone has "discovered" something and it *seems* to fit the hypothesis doesn't mean that the results are now beyond question and should be accepted as gospel (see what I did there?)

Newton's Theory of Gravity worked fine for ages until Einstein came along and said "Hang on, what about this situation...?"

Science is about asking questions even when the answer is "known".

4
0

Horizon finds new potential in the sci-fi staple deepsleep tale

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Meh

Damn...

... and when I read the Headline I thought that the BBC's popular science programme had actually come up with a nifty idea...

PS "most often referred to in sci-fi as deepsleep"? AFAIR it was usually "Cold Sleep" or "Cryonics".

11
0

'Tech giants who encrypt comms are unwittingly aiding terrorists', claims ex-Home Sec Blunkett

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

"We should not capitulate to...

"...the fear-mongering politicos: they cannot be allowed to get away with the absurd idea that they hold no responsibility for the behaviour of the security services who treat everyone as a potential terrorist suspect and then use this as an excuse to pass even more repressive laws which restrict our freedoms, rights and liberties!"

FTFY.

5
0

#VultureTRENDING: It's Pimpr, the latest sharing economy super app

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

Shouldn't this be...

... #vultr?

2
0

Twitter turns to women's group to sort out its cyberbullying issues

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: The real problem is ...

Ah, so jake's solution is to "man up" and ignore the demeaning comments, rape threats, derogatory remarks about your appearance/ sexuality/ anything else.

The idea of actually *teaching* school-boys (and girls, because, believe or not, they can be just as vicious) that bullying is not acceptable behaviour and won't be tolerated doesn't seem to have occurred to him.

It also doesn't seem to have occurred to him that, if they are allowed get away with such behaviour in their youth they most likely *won't* "grow up a trifle" but will keep doing it when they get older and become abusive bosses and parents and then their children will learn that this is, apparently, acceptable behaviour and so the sad and sorry cycle continues...

8
1

If you're suing the UK govt, Brit spies will snoop on your briefs

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Pirate

@AC - Re: trust us, we serve for you

> then doctor-patient confidentiality is out of the window too

No, that's the Government trying to upload all of our medical records to an insecure system and give the details to their friends in the insurance industries etc...

7
0

Amazon: Put our ALWAYS ON MICROPHONE in your house, please. WHAT?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Up

@Neil Barnes - Re: Apart from the inbuilt creepiness

> Has everyone forgotten the obvious lesson in Harrison's 'I always do what Teddy says'?

I'd not read that one before, so thanks!

2
0

Poll: Yes, yes, texting while driving is bad but *ping* OH! Hey, GRAB THE WHEEL, will ya?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Just Enough - Re: Daft law

Just because you *can* do all those things does not mean that you *should*.

Read the Highway Code paragraph 150:

* * * * *

There is a danger of driver distraction being caused by in-vehicle systems such as satellite navigation systems, congestion warning systems, PCs, multi-media, etc. You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. [...] If necessary find a safe place to stop.

Laws RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 & CUR reg 104

* * * * *

1
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Boffin

@NumptyScrub

Yes, but the point is that cyclists who do stupid things like calling or texting or riding through red lights are, in the vast majority of cases, only putting *themselves* at risk.

Drivers who engage in such behaviour will probably be ok because of seatbelts and airbags and crumple zones, but it is everyone else they put put at risk.

9
3

Robot deputy blasts possibly explosive Mexican beans with CANNON in 'controlled explosion'

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Mushroom

"American EOD teams indulge in a bit of overkill"

Oh come on! They've got all these cool toys, can you blame them for wanting to get them out and give them a go?

9
0

NSA director: We share most of the [crap] bugs we find!

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

"By orders of magnitude, when we find new vulnerabilities, we share them."

And *of course* we believe them.

After all, they're only doing it in our best interests, aren't they...?

1
0

Trickle-down economics WORKS: SpaceShipTwo is a PRIME EXAMPLE

Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@Tim Worstall - Re: it's so unlike Tim Worstall to get the wrong end of the issue, isn't it?

> It's in the likely manifestos of three of the four major parties. It's in the Ukip one because I helped draft the last version and I put it there

* * * * *

Raising the tax allowance to £13,500 is a nice gesture and it’s going leave these people better off by around £50 per month but it isn’t nearly enough to cover the huge gap between pay and prices we pay. This particular policy was probably through up around the conference table as the cheapest, easiest way to attract minimum wage workers. ‘Tax cuts’ is a powerful peace of rhetoric to inspire those who need more money. In reality, it’s not going to make much of a difference. To be honest, it isn’t the minimum wage earns who will really benefit from this policy because what we always forget to take into account is how income based benefits, such as housing benefit or Tax Credits might change to reflect this extra money being available. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that minimum wage earners are going to be better off.

* * * * *

Bravo, Tim.

Meanwhile, of course, UKIP's Manifesto (well, unless Nigel's changed his mind again) saying they're going to raise the threshold of the 40% tax rate to £45,000 which will give the comfortably well-off a double tax cut.

And they're going to get rid of inheritance tax. How many people on minimum wage will that benefit?

> It's just that that Great Experiment of the 20th century has convinced me that lefty *methods* don't get us there while broadly capitalist and free market ones, with a tad of judicious intervention, do.

That would be the "Great Experiment" of the 21st Century known as Quantitative Easing, perhaps? The £375 *billion* which has been thrown into the financial markets whilst the Tories have been borrowing massively and created more debt than ever? Hmm...

1
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge

@The Axe - Re: it's so unlike Tim Worstall to get the wrong end of the issue, isn't it?

> For instance you say rich people can invest their money, taking it out of supply. Have you not thought about where that money is put?

Yes, and so have the people at Positive Money who point out the fact that for the banks to create money, ie put it into the economy via loans, mortgages etc, they have to create *debt* which leads to such things as unaffordable housing and boom-and-bust economics.

It seems that Parliament is finally starting to catch up with this idea as they are debating money creation for the first time in 170 years

0
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

it's so unlike Tim Worstall to get the wrong end of the issue, isn't it?

It's a shame that TW starts off by saying "that is the only part of trickle-down economics that undoubtedly and provably works" and then goes off to attack Zoe Williams instead of dealing with the elephant in the room that the majority of so-called Trickle Down economics *doesn't* work.

Perhaps he could now write an article addressing the principle of Marginal Propensity to Consume, ie why tax breaks (including raising the income tax threshold) mean that the less well-off still spend pretty much all of their income on necessities and maybe the occasional luxury, whilst the more well-off already have enough income to cover their needs, so can afford to save and invest most of the extra money they get, making it grow even more, but taking it out of supply.

The idea is that (like a champagne fountain) you put more in at the top and it trickles down to the bottom. The actual result is that the glass at the top just gets bigger and bigger, so virtually nothing trickles down.

Of course that wouldn't make for a good excuse to bash the lefty Guardian, would it?

8
4

Apple patents AUTOGRAPHS. Checkmate, eBay

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

But do you actually *own* the autograph?

Or do you only have a licence to display it on a book you've downloaded...?

2
0

UN takeover of internet postponed indefinitely

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
WTF?

Re: What is the difference (at least in the US)

Is WalterAlter a new challenger for amanfrommars1?!

0
0

New GCHQ spymaster: US tech giants are 'command and control networks for TERROR'

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

@tom dial

Whilst I agree that device encryption will not result in increased terrorist attacks, I am not so sure about the assertion that " they discard most of it almost immediately and very likely do not search most of what they retain for varying periods" nor that "Most of the rest* can encrypt or not, as they choose, and neither they nor the authorities are likely to notice or care very much."

The fact that we are hearing rhetoric about these services being "command and control networks for terror" sounds like someone gearing up to demand more powers to monitor everything we do and say and stop us from doing anything to stop the State from snooping on us whilst saying "don't worry, we're only doing it to the *bad* guys and if you've got nothing to hide..."

3
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Thumb Down

@Joe 48 - Re: Facebook and Tor

Let me remind you again of the words of Cardinal Richlieu: "If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."

With sufficient desire *anything* can be twisted interpreted to be seditious or inciting terrorism or some other such nonsense. This, however, does not end up protecting us, it just ends up with lots of False Positives.

9
0
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

@AC - Re: Want more surveillance?

> In a sense they have already won

You are right, but for entirely the wrong reason.

It used to be the claim that we would not let terrorists force us to change our way of living, but now it seems that every time one of them says "Boo!" we dance to their tune, surrendering our basic liberties and essential freedoms, giving up our right to "Go about our lawful business without let or hindrence" because our Security Services claim that this is the only way that they can "protect" those liberties.

If that is what is needed to "protect" us, we have lost already.

PS Do you *really* not see the irony in your comment "I would happily fire bomb the 'devils psychopaths' until every last one of the was toast at home and abroad"?

You call them "psychopaths" yet your response fits the classic definition "Psychopathy [...] is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior."

36
2

Intel: A tiny video drone? Disguised as a BRACELET? Great! Take half a million dollars!

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Coat

Not cool enough...

... Come on, it should look like an ordinary watch, then, when you press a button it should morph into a drone and link to your smart phone so you can pretend to be a Super Spy!

0
0

Pirate Bay co-founder JAILED for three years after massive CSC HACK ATTACK

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Works for me

The Daily Mail forums are over there ->

0
1
Graham Marsden
Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Works for me

Apart from the AC OP, did two other people *really* miss the sarcasm?

1
4

Pro-ISIS script kiddies deface West Yorkshire egg-chasers' site

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Big Brother

Sure, but no doubt, since "Counter Terrorism Police" have got involved in the investigation, this will be recorded as a "Terrorist Incident" and added to the figures trotted out when TPTB tell us that there have been X hundred such incidents in the past year and we must therefore put up with them introducing even more draconian restrictions on our freedoms and liberties in order to deal with this "threat"...

7
0

Bona-fide SCIENCE: Which forms of unusual sex are, um, mainstream?

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
WTF?

What a crock!

"Clinically, we know what pathological sexual fantasies are: they involve non-consenting partners, they induce pain"

ORLY? So the thousands of customers who have bought floggers, canes, paddles, nipple clamps and many more such items from my Affordable Leather Products business are all suffering from "pathological sexual fantasies" are they?

And, not only that, but adults who are into consensual BDSM activities get lumped in with rapists and child abusers etc.

Or maybe they're just into a different sort of kink from the narrow minded individuals who write for the Journal of Sexual Medicine and who have decided that *they* are the ones who can decide what is or isn't "abnormal"?

(BTW you may not know it wasn't until 1992 that the World Health Organization removed its categorisation of homosexuality as a mental illness)

"what exactly are abnormal or atypical fantasies? To find out, we asked people in the general population, as simple as that"

And they think that, thereby, they can use that information to define what is "normal" and what isn't? Bullshit!

They got what people *wanted* them to hear. Even if it is anonymised etc, I bet a lot of people had a lot of fantasies which they didn't tell the researchers because the subjects thought they were too extreme or didn't want to admit to them or they just decided to gloss things up a bit.

What they didn't get was factual evidence.

"these findings allow us to shed light on certain social phenomena, such as the popularity of the book "Fifty Shades of Grey" with women"

Oh gods! Not Fifty Shades of Drivel! The book that mistakes coercion for consent, that has a main character whose behaviour is stalkerish (verging on predatory), that has some extremely bad and risky examples of BDSM which are *really* not good to engage in (cable ties? No, just *NO*, ok?!)

As for Lewis' conclusion, he misses the point. "Research" like this does not push back the frontiers of human knowledge, that's true, but that's because it simply informs the bigotry of those who want to tell others what they can do and read and see and think that because *they* don't like something, others should be forbidden from doing it.

2
0

Clara goes to the dark side, with dark secrets revealed in Dark Water

Graham Marsden
Silver badge
Meh

I'll score you a Miss on that one...

... Because they could have done so much better had Missy been The Rani.

Oh and, PS, Dr Skarosa? Knock off the SA and what planet name do you get...?

2
2