2 posts • joined 9 Jul 2007
Outsource a niche model? No big deal.
Aston outsourcing a niche model is really no big deal.
Every car manufacturer in the world, from Bristol to Toyota, uses outsourcing. Outsourcing assembly of low-volume models dates back to the days of coach-building, and has recently been embraced by BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes (although its M-class factory in Alabama is its own, not outsourced), Fiat, Volkswagen, Porsche and Vauxhall, among others.
Also, Aston Martin has a long history of producing four-door saloons (starting in 1927), though post-war they've typically been badged Lagonda. The Rapide is built on the same VH platform as the DB9 and V8 Vantage.
Incidentally, Aston's V12 engines are cast by a German company (Mahle) and assembled in Cologne.
A bit stiff
The early closing date for applications will disappoint many Johnny-come-latelys.
- DINO-SLAYER asteroid strike was a stroke of bad luck, say boffins
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- Russia: There is a SPACECRAFT full of LIZARDS in orbit above Earth and WE control it