4 posts • joined 26 Jun 2013
Re: Lowest-cost archive medium
Um, not quite.
Drives cannot read uplevel media (for example, an LTO-5 drive cannot read LTO-6 media).
Drives can read and write one downlevel of media, and read two downlevels of media. For example, the same LTO-5 drive can read LTO-5/4/3 media, but can only read/write LTO-5/4 media.
Maybe a little research/sanity here ...
I do not work for LastPass, but I am a long-time paying customer.
1. Before you start bashing a cloud-based password manager, do your research ...
Nothing (except maybe meta-metadata) is stored in the clear in the LastPass cloud. Once you authenticate, the encrypted blob is downloaded and decrypted locally on your system. If you add a site, note, whatever, again, it's encrypted locally and then added to the cloud blob.
Show me a cheap, roll-your-own password solution that supports multifactor authentication, one-time passwords, secure password sharing, and rollbacks, and I will buy VC stock in the company.
2. Downtime this (for me) morning was pretty annoying, no lie ... but in 4 years this is the FIRST time I've ever experienced any hassle ... so for a darn cheap system with an offline fallback, this is pretty darn good. About the only thing I'd ask LastPass product management to do is to put in a "manual offline" option to force using the local copy ... but that has its own security issues as well.
Y'all aren't thinking big enough
Imagine, if you will, that this technology is able to scale up to, say, be able to be applied to a cargo ship or supertanker. If they can get the propulsion optimized to spec, a 10%+ improvement in efficiency (and translated bunker fuel costs) ain't nuthin to sneeze at.
A case study that turns into a thinly-veiled elevator pitch?
Well played, well played.
Spawn of Satan because, well, it was a good deception.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? No. It is the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM