1 post • joined 24 Jun 2013
What is the cost of a benchmark
The CG benchmark is a sensible choice as it tests the key general requirements of "high bandwidth and low latency, and tend to access data using irregular patterns". These are machine characteristics which have wide importance --- not just CG. Another interesting point in Jack's talk at ISC was the total cost of performing a benchmark. I forget the exact figure (left as an exercise to the reader) but it was in the order of $1m for the top machines! This tends to focus the mind on performing a minimum set of benchmarks rather than everything and anything.
- 'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux
- Review A SCORCHIO fatboy SSD: Samsung SSD850 PRO 3D V-NAND
- Was Earth once covered in HELLFIRE? No – more like a wet Sunday night in Iceland
- Every billionaire needs a PANZER TANK, right? STOP THERE, Paul Allen
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads