4 posts • joined Wednesday 27th June 2007 11:49 GMT
Lets be fair here
Although she is plainly making very ignorant dumb choices and expecting decisions to be made for her, if she had no internet access she was problably very limited in options to find out more.
How many people here, apart from linux geeks would be able to fix a Ubuntu internet access problem without having another machine to google the fix on ?
Only a techie
would use the reasoning
the idea that bird strike could knock out both engines has been dismissed as "unthinkable".
erm wouldn't it be dismissed cos there's not lots of bits of goose inside the engines ?
Causes problems with IT maintenance over night ?
Nah, wake on lan.
Or have one night a week as maintenance night. If it's missed, the user looks at a locked screen in the morning waiting for updates to complete. And that's at a law firm. With partners. Who WILL get rid of the WHOLE IT department if they so much as lose a second of billing time while unimportant trivia like security patches are applied.
As for boot up time - use Hibernation.
Or better still have a power saving background task that hibernates after 2 hours of no activity (see, also save power Friday lunchtimes), except during those periods when you know your critical updates are going down.
C'Mon folks. Get with the 21st century.
- World's OLDEST human DNA found in leg bone – but that's not the only boning going on...
- Lightning strikes USB bosses: Next-gen jacks will be REVERSIBLE
- Pics Brit inventors' GRAVITY POWERED LIGHT ships out after just 1 year
- Microsoft teams up with Feds, Europol in ZeroAccess botnet zombie hunt
- Storagebod Oh no, RBS has gone titsup again... but is it JUST BAD LUCK?