1 post • joined 27 Jun 2007
Leave the d*mn PCs on!
I always encourage my clients to leave their PCs turned on, for several reasons.
1. Leaving them on means that they run at a more-or-less constant temperature, which is much better for component life. Many SOHO PCs are in outbuildings which are unheated during the night. This can lead to condensation and subsequent corrosion problems as the temperature drops.
2. Windows updates are scheduled by default to happen at 03:00, when the users aren't there to be interrupted or inconvenienced by them. Anti-virus updates and scheduled scans also run during the night.
3. I operate remote support via VPN link from my office. This often means remote accessing a PC out-of-hours.
- YARR! Pirates walk the plank: DMCA magnets sink in Google results
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR
- UNIX greybeards threaten Debian fork over systemd plan