3 posts • joined 23 Jul 2012
Apparently not in the UK. Just signed up for the trial based on your comment and they don't have *anything* trekkie :(
Sexism in the industry?
I always read these 'women in IT' type articles with interest, having been the focus of the discussion myself for about 10 years. However they always seem to assume a deep seated raft of sexism that I simply have never come across. In whatever companies I worked at, I've invariably been the sole woman in the department, and can't recall a single instance of when a colleague has been sexist.
However the real problem has been from the users. Countless times people seem to think I'm incapable of shifting kit, crawling under desks to check cables or sort out the most basic of issues. I've had people simple refuse to speak to me on the phone saying they didn't want to log a call with a secretary or demanding to speak to 'one of the guys'.
It seems to me that the industry has no issue with women doing IT, but the society as a whole does.
It's not a game. Games require some form of interaction and 'walking forward' doesn't count. At best you could call it art. Personally I called it a waste of my time and money.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?
- Google offers up its own Googlers in cloud channel chumship trawl
- Interview Global Warming IS REAL, argues sceptic mathematician - it just isn't THERMAGEDDON
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 spewed online a MONTH early – by Microsoft