3 posts • joined 6 Jun 2012
Legitimate question I suppose, as I have no idea what kind of improvement bypassing "layers of software", as the author put it, can yield for computing at the 10 TB database scale. How much overhead can a kernel's virtual memory manager have ?
Re: "Lost its memory hog"??
- It would be nice to have some figures on Chrome's footprint on your system for an equivalent usage pattern
- freedom has it's cost. I don't mind trading performance for control and infinite extensibility
Re: Not forever, I think
That's groovy tech alright, but it won't go against the basic truth that there's only so much information you can display per square inch of screen real estate. So a developer-defined "statement of minimal requirements" seems like a good idea to me, to prevent user disappointment.
- Analysis Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
- Opportunity selfie: Martian winds have given the spunky ol' rover a spring cleaning
- OK, we get the message, Microsoft: Windows Defender splats 1000s of WinXP, Server 2k3 PCs
- Episode 4 BOFH: Oh DO tell us what you think. *CLICK*
- Spanish village called 'Kill the Jews' mulls rebranding exercise