* Posts by richardcox13

81 posts • joined 19 May 2012

Page:

Crack open more champagne, Satya, XP's snowballing to HELL

richardcox13
Stop

Re: Meaningless statement by useless stats mangler - film at 11

You'll continue getting support.

Because it does not end in January, only "mainstream support" (ie. new features being added) ends in January, Bug fixing and security patching go on until "extended support" ends in 2020.

But then I expect you know that. Troll.

8
2

Fasthosts goes titsup, blames DNS blunder

richardcox13

Re: "issues with our 2003 servers"

While Fasthosts may have no such legacy applications, their customers may well have legacy applications.

(And I agree, I read it initially as "that's a very specific number of servers" :-))

0
0

Why solid-state disks are winning the argument

richardcox13

Re: Reasons for traditional HD

> Give us a small and cheap but very fast PCI card to boot and run our O/Ses from!

Have you looked at M.2 flash cards (on motherboards with the appropriate support)?

Of course they have capacities that mean you can skip a SATA flash disk and just back it up with the large spinning rust for bulk storage if required.

1
0

ICO warns UK broadcasters over filming using drones

richardcox13

> Why is this different from using a telephoto lens on a camera?

Well the camera is remote, potentially significantly remote, from the operator (photographer).

And unlike, conventional, helicopter based news filming, a UAV is far less noticeable while being able to get much closer.

Then you get into the difference between private only use and commercial use (eg. requirements for release forms).

So it is somewhat different. But I suspect it'll take a court case or few to really determine the rules.

2
0

Torvalds CONFESSES: 'I'm pretty good at alienating devs'

richardcox13

… and in other news

Arboreal areas contain ursine turds.

0
0

Let XKCD's Randall Munroe satisfy your curiosity in this excerpt from his book, What If

richardcox13
Thumb Up

Re: It's excellent

Just received a nice dead tree edition... and wondering what's happened to the time :-)

There have been some updates compared to the online versions (plus some extras), so worth it even if you do read http://what-if.xkcd.com/

4
0

Microsoft unloads monster-sized can of bug spray on Internet Explorer, again

richardcox13

Re: I don't understand...

> ... Why is MS still releasing patches for IE6?

Server 2003 is still in support (until April 2014 IIRC), and shipped with IE6. Hence it gets patching because Microsoft's policy is currently to support all IE versions that work on a supported OS version.

However, as of Jan 2016, that will change (as announced recently), with only the latest compatible IE supported on each OS.

0
0

Boiling point: Tech and the perfect cuppa

richardcox13

Re: Disappointing

Good point. After all they only need to return status 418 (even if not short and stout).

This article is about Tea; HTCPCP is about coffee.

0
0

LOHAN acquires aircraft arboreal avoidance algorithm acronyms

richardcox13
Thumb Up

> VinceH I think we got hit by the same inspiration particle!

Clearly some form of particle cloning going on, because it seems to be bouncing around here as well!

However, in proper abbreviation creation mode I reverse the last two words:

Arboreal Recognition System for Evasion.

1
0

Mozilla fixes CRITICAL security holes in Firefox, urges v31 upgrade

richardcox13

The difference between "update to [get to] V31" and "update [applied] to V31": the ambiguities are strong in this one.

5
0

50,000 sites backdoored through shoddy WordPress plugin

richardcox13

Re: Where is line 91?

I would assume the malware (incorrectly) injects quite a few lines of its own code knowing it is a file that is executed for each request.

0
0

Ever wanted to be a Playmonaut? El Reg's Vulture 2 spaceplane sim reveals what it's like

richardcox13

More content needed in simulator...

Maybe something like this: http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/18/flowers-in-space-azuma-makoto-exobiotanica/

Gives the heroic pilot something to look at while hurtling along.

Is there anything people won't put below a weather balloon?

0
0

CERN data explains how Higgs heavies other matter

richardcox13

Re: femtobarns

Well according to another place (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_%28unit%29):

> Other related units are […] the shed (10^(−24) b (1 yb), or 10^(−52) m^2) […]

which makes a nanoshed really rather small indeed.

0
0

Can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hand, a nugget of PUREST ... BLACK?

richardcox13
Mushroom

Re: Black space craft? Whatever could go wrong

> The space craft that belonged to Hotblack Desiato I believe,

Correct. While he took a year dead (for tax reasons).

You might need to consider doing the same should you book Disaster Area for the local church fête: governments are likely to be unhappy with the wholesale breach of strategic arms limitation treats.

2
0

NASA aborts third attempt at finally settling man-made CO2 debate

richardcox13
Go

For Updates...

follow https://twitter.com/NASA_LSP for launch updates (including relevant links to NASA TV) to see if NASA can get it up (next time).

2
0

Wake up, grandad: All the techies use social media

richardcox13

Re: Since I started using the internet in 1998,

> I guess that makes me a dinosaur!

I started about it 1988, so what does that make me… or rather does that make you just a newbie?

That new fangled web thingy, it might just catch on...

> Can I yell 'Get off my lawn!' now?

Wait in line youngster! If you've not had to work out UUCP bang paths for email addresses you've had it too easy. (El Reg's Approach! To Yahoo! Related! Headlines! Brings! Back! Bad! Memories!)

8
0

Redmond promises IE8 patch is in the pipeline

richardcox13

Re: What is the risk of this bug really?

> XP is end of lifed

So what? IE8 is the default browser on a new install of Windows 7; thus its support ends with Win7.

4
0

Time-rich Brit boffin demos DIY crazytech WOLVERINE talons

richardcox13

Re: We need more...

Check out of the rest of YouTube channel.

Making a pulse-jet a bog-brush stand to power a BBQ is memorable.

3
0

Super-heavy element 117 DOES exist – albeit briefly. Got any berkelium handy?

richardcox13

Re: How about...

> Unobtainium

It has been obtained, so that does not seem appropriate.

How about "hardtogetium"?

6
0

Stone the crows, Bouncer! BT defends TV recorder upgrade DELETION snafu

richardcox13

Re: Which box?

> to occasionally record Channel 5 shows

I suspect the C5 EPG data is at fault. I see most series jumping to C5+1 from time to time.

This seems to have always been the case with C5 on every FreeView PVR I've used. Other channels do not have the same problem.

Therefore I think this might, for once, not be BT but the data source: Channel 5.

0
0

Target finally implements chip and PIN card protections

richardcox13

Re: two factor?

With chip & pin the two factor is (1) something you have (the card) and (2) something you know (the PIN).

With online it is something like (1) something you know (password) and (2) something you have (mobile to receive the second code).

Three factor systems add something you are (a biometric).

1
0

Anatomy of OpenSSL's Heartbleed: Just four bytes trigger horror bug

richardcox13

Re: I don't get it..

> why expect a length parameter at all ? That is metadata that can be calculated quite trivially.

How? A socket connection is just a stream of octets, there are no record delimiters (except as provided by your own protocol).

And then you need to detect with partial data (eg. interruption on the network).

5
0

QUIDOCALYPSE: Blighty braces for £100 MILLION cost of new £1 coin

richardcox13

Re: Deal With It!

> A triangular rubber coin 6,800 miles along each side?

Fiddling small change then, and thus not accepted by glacta-banks.

1
0

BT caught in data gaffe drama: Whistleblower squeals over alleged email fail

richardcox13

Re: HTTPS compulsory?

> Someone better tell El Reg then.

Indeed.

More than a little of the pot calling the kettle black here.

0
0

Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge

richardcox13

They certainly do use images.

But the images are always the complete install (a "diff" image would work, but only for the same base).

However there are a lot if images to manage and maintain: different OS editions/versions, different Office editions/versions, ...

This soon becomes a rather large number each patch Tuesday.

1
0

Q&A: Schneier on trust, NSA spying and the end of US internet hegemony

richardcox13

The Halting Problem Applies to Verification of Computer Systems

From the first page of the article:

> So what's your solution?

>You can imagine some future technology where you can prove assurance, where you

> can prove that a piece of software or hardware does what you believe it does and

> nothing more. That's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Wrong. It is beyond the realm of possibility. I would have expected Bruce Schneier to be aware of the halting problem. Turing proved that there is no possibility to provide a procedure that will determine if a given program will halt (terminate). As any specific action can be mapped to termination (when X happens halt) you cannot prove it does or does not do something.

2
0

Github brews text editor for developers

richardcox13

Re: Umm, what?

If notepad is sufficient for your – clearly limited by definition – text file editing needs, then stick with notepad.

For those of us who work with non-trivial text files, there are lots of options: this has a lot to live up to.

And yes, it does sound rather like that everything is programmable/customisable approach of Emacs and other editors that have survived for more than a few update cycles. This is no bad thing: just because it is an old (relatively) idea does not mean it is a bad idea (equally a new idea is not automatically a bad idea).

2
0

Microsoft tries to re-invent GPS with cloudy offloads

richardcox13

Re: Does it really take that much power?

> Maybe GPS used a lot of power a while ago but I assume all that calculation is now handled by dedicated logic

True for some dedicated devices certainly.

But it seems smart-phones (and, based on experience of battery life when not plugged in, car sat-nav units) don't have such specialist hardware, rather using their CPUs to perform the calculations.

Just calculating the position wouldn't be too bad, but then that calculation is done repeatedly to track position and velocity changes, then transforming and laying out the map display in real time to match…

0
0

Collective SSL FAIL a symptom of software's cultural malaise

richardcox13

Re: So what's the solution?

Your third paragraph is why. Mono-culture is bad, however much better that one is currently.

(This is why I am glad IE and Firefox do not use Webkit: everyone using one browser engine would just lead to a repeat of the first browser wars with Webkits' defects being the new standard.)

2
0
richardcox13

Re: Goto

Using goto when goto is the best approach (such as a series of tests with shared non-trivial clean-up) is reasonable. It would be possible to fake the gotos with breaks in a do...while (false) one-shot loop but that is a significant abuse of a loop (and the one-shot nature is hidden at the bottom).

In this case a boolean tracking hasFailed and checking in each test would be reasonable, but if the existing tests are more complex the addition of checking that boolean adds to the complexity.

In the end the pattern of a series of tests with a fall-out to common clean up is seen often enough the pattern is recognised and thus the code easier to understand.

Remember Dijkstra's paper (it is worth the effort to read) is about the overuse of goto when there are better alternatives. Too many people see the title without reading the content and thus "ban goto".

All that said; in more than two decades of professional programming I've use goto twice (C++'s ability to do cleanup in a destructor of local objects really helps).

9
0

CERN outlines plan for new 100km circumference supercollider

richardcox13

Re: Why not space?

Low Earth orbit still has quite a lot of atmosphere (this is why the IIS needs a push from time to time).

The vacuum in the LHC is orders of magnitude greater than that of inter-planetary space which is already far greater than just above a planetary atmosphere.

3
0

Blighty's winter storms are PUNY compared to Saturn's 200mph, 15,000 mile wide HEXACANE

richardcox13

Re: A hex upon thee

However they don't handle the central pin added for "security".

1
0

Eagle steals crocodile-cam, records video selfie

richardcox13

Re: Bloody eagles

No. That would be parrots. Specifically keas in New Zealand.

Often know to have a go at the window etc. seals on cars.

1
0

Microsoft, Cisco: RC4 encryption considered harmful, avoid at all costs

richardcox13

Equally there is no patch for XP/Vista to make it possible to disable RC4. Or support for TLS 1.2.

Old versions in extended support don't get new features.

1
0
richardcox13

> As a web browser user how do I tell if a site is using RC4?

In IE: Right click and select properties: details of the ciphers used is under connection.

In Chrome: click on the padlock on the address bar and click on the connection tab.

In Firefox it is in Tools | Page Info at the bottom of the General tab with more details on the Security tab.

0
0

The legacy IE survivor's guide: Firefox, Chrome... more IE?

richardcox13

Re: Rose tinted spectacles

> The Googled tutorials on W3C all agree that the method is supposed to give focus to the target window.

Then they are simplifications and/or out of date.

I suggest a reading of the specification of Window.focus() (and Window.blur()), especially the Note at the HTML5 specification. Direct link for the latest working draft: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/CR/editing.html#dom-window-focus.

0
0
richardcox13

> written in vb are in he same boat but without any of the options to ease the blow.

Assuming you mean VB6 then no, or at least not any time soon.

Win8 and 8.1 include the VB6 runtime, so that is supported—you applications will keep running—until at least those OS' go end of life (for Win8 enterprise currently set at 2023-10-01).

Of course if I business is still, in a decades time, running applications written what will be a more than 25 year old tool, then perhaps that business is itself so obsolete that it is time to switch off life support.

0
0

Happy 10th b-day, Patch Tuesday: TWO critical IE 0-day bugs, did you say?

richardcox13

Re: and...

> we're looking at ~169mb per client this month !

Only if you're not running WSUS, which if you have enough machines to matter you should be.

1
0

Great Britain rebuilt - in Minecraft: Intern reveals 22-BEEELLION block map

richardcox13

Re: Easter Egg

The blog entry about it shows an image isn't from the OS map data...

http://blog.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/2013/09/minecraft-creating-a-map-of-great-britain/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=minecraft-creating-a-map-of-great-britain

0
0
richardcox13

Re: Why bother ?

You cannot build your own things in Google Maps.

Hmm... I wonder if ComputerCraft is up to a mini-Minecraft inside Minecraft: at home playing Minecraft at home playing Minecraft…

0
0

Bulging racks top of mind for Dell's new switch

richardcox13

> All those ports are packed into a 1U form factor that This all happens in a 1U form factor that can't be prised apart and reconfigured, an arrangement […]

Someone needs to have a word about proof reading…

2
0

myOpenID to close down for good in February 2014

richardcox13

Re: and what happens

> Doesn't StackExchange work primarily on OpenID - I have about a dizen sites all on the same login so that's going to be annoying.

However:

1. StackExchange has its own openID provider: set up an identity there as the future replacement.

2. StackExchange has a central identify across all its sites, so you only need to change once. You might need to log into each site (that isn't a sub-domain of stackexchange.com) separately with the change.

3. You can have multiple logins configured for your StackExchange account. Therefore adding the new identity while still being able to login with the current one.

Doing this, and updating by domain's default page's link elements away from myOpenId, is now on my to do list...

OpenID is in so many ways the right approach to identify. However the failure of the various OpenID providers (especially Google in the early days) to provide a consistent approach for the consumers of OpenID logins (the web sites you login to) made it too unreliable and too hard in practice.

3
0

Can't agree on a coding style? Maybe the NEW YORK TIMES can help

richardcox13

> It's not wrong at all. Just depends on your preference, as long as it's all consistent.

Exactly. If you cannot read and maintain any consistent style then you need to think of a different career. There are far harder things in programming (understanding what the customer wants for a start).

OTOH one can have a preference: one true brace style is called "true" for a reason :-).

A coding style only needs four unbreakable rules:

1. Be consistent.

2. Indent to make program structure clear.

3. Name's clarity (eg. long and more more descriptive) should reflect their scope.

4. Tabs/spaces [choose one for the team/organisation, delete the other] only.

/Everything/ else is subject to argument and exceptions.

0
0

The bunker at the end of the world - in Essex

richardcox13

Re: If you liked this....

Certainly worth a visit. They have a collection of cold war military equipment including a WE.177 case (well I hope it's empty).

Lots of signs to it in the area... really must get a photo of a few on a visit to family in the area at some point.

0
0

Microsoft hosts bar mitzvah for mature Azure

richardcox13

Re: PCI-DSS

In the early days of Azure there was a lot of talk about lots of security verifications being done (usual alpha-numeric soup of standard identifiers).

So it is possible PCI-DSS is covered.

But likely you'll need to ask Microsoft directly if a hunt for "Azure security compliance" fails to show anything.

0
0

Higgs hunt halts as CERN prepares LHC upgrades

richardcox13
Boffin

Re: Super Proton Synchrotron

> Radiation damaged cables? How?

Read up on synchrotron radiation: when you use an electro-magnetic field to change the direction of charge particles (eg. protons) EM radiation is emitted. At the energy levels of CERN this is hard X-Rays.

0
0

Next-gen H.265 video baked into Broadcom's monster TV brain

richardcox13

Re: That's why codecs are usually compared with lots of different footage

> BBC has to constantly transmit every local station as a full stream

If I recall correctly this has already changed[1] or is due to sometime soon if not done already.

The problem was combining the variable bandwidth stations in the MUX with the regional BBC1 feeds and sending to the regional transmitters: the technology to make BBC1 variable width in each region and merge didn't exist when Freeview started.

With newer kit, HD and analogue switch off the situation has (or will soon) change.

[1] I seem to recall it was linked to the completion of analogue switch off and HD roll out.

0
0

British armed forces get first new pistol since World War II

richardcox13

Re: 9mm?

"NATO Standard Rounds" makes for simpler logistics, and in the end conventional wars are more about logistics than anything else.

18
0

Boffins create quantum gas with temperature BELOW absolute zero

richardcox13

Re: "The temperature scale simply does not end at infinity,"

> Or do they have other research going on that gets to negative values of temperature by heating something to infinity and beyond?

That's exactly it.

The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature has been cited as containing a good introduction.

It is an effect in a quantum system so you need to forget your intuition.

3
0

Perl programming language marks 25th birthday

richardcox13
Holmes

Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister

Given garbage in is the norm this is inevitable.

0
0

Page:

Forums