8 posts • joined 15 May 2012
Derbyshire Dales are auto-opt-in
Even though on the old register I always asked to be removed from the edited register Derbyshire Dales are automatically opting people in to the open register. I received a letter from DD saying I was already registered on the electoral roll and the open register and that it was up to me to contact them to get removed. Just phoned them to be removed and the officer agreed with me that the default should be opted-out not opted-in but that was the policy blah blah blah. All hail big corporations and the sale of contact information...
Question? Do councils make money from selling the Open Register or is it central guvmint that is making the money?
no longer a paying customer of Adobe
Been a professional user of Photoshop since 4.0. Normally upgraded every major upgrade (not the .5 versions). Effectively this pretty much worked out the same cost as CC is now. However for my needs there is just no compelling reason to upgrade to CC and many disadvantages:
- I can (and do) use CS6 completely offline for landscape photography trips to outer nowhere.
I am never worried that I am dependent on Adobe staying up and no threat that I can't open files
because I'm away from the webs or Adobe is titsup or ...
- The much vaunted smaller incremental updates hasn't happened, we still have had the big bang
for CC 18 months after the initial release.
- I don't really see anything in CC that is a compelling feature.
- Eventually the updates to camera raw may become an issue but there are plenty of excellent 3rd party tools that are way cheaper than CC.
- I don't want/need the additional software in CC and I ain't going to pay for stuff I won't use - that's why I only bought Photoshop and not one of the suites
Sorry Adobe but you are still not selling CC to me. The recent complete titsup episode hasn't helped your case.
Is that near Warminster-on-sea?
Don't tell 'em Pike. Don't Panic! etc.. Reckon Corporal Jones would have made mincemeat out of the aliens in Battleship. They don't like it up 'em you know.
Re: 4 years from now
No fuel, launch them with a solar sail powered by lasers based at home. That way its definitely a one-way trip.
Re: Teletext on the BBC Micro
<misty eyed nostalgia>
I remember the teletext modem well. My first job was to write an emulator of the Teletext for Schools service (Wordsworth) for use in Sheffield schools that had BBC micros but not Teletext modem. My version (Keats) ran standalone and provided a page editor - I remember scratching my head for days trying to work out how to do a line-drawing algorithm with Teletext graphics characters. Happy days.
</misty eyed nostalgia>
Re: Vacination program
> Don't mess around with vampire bats.
Don't mess with *any* bat unless you are wearing protection. Bats in this country carry rabies. A bat worker in Scotland died from rabies a few years ago. He was bitten by an infected Daubenton's Bat while he was handling the bat. The advice these days is a) don't touch a bat if you don't know what you are doing and b) if you must touch a bat wear gloves,
£130 - that's cheap
The equivalent Nikon "1" FT1 adapter to allow DSLR Nikkors lenses to be used on the J1 or V1 compacts is £229 quids. Ouch.
Only three times the odds?
A Sheffield teaching hospital (I'm looking at you Northern General) pays £125 for log books for the wards. These very hi-tech and very expensive beasties are ruled hard-back notebooks with the pages numbered. Err. That's it. For a mere £125. Each.
The company I'm working for pays over the odds for similar notebooks at £10 each. That's less than 10% of the cost to the Northern General and still massively overpriced.
I'm gonna get me a contract supplying to the NHS...
- One HUNDRED FAMOUS LADIES exposed NUDE online
- Google flushes out users of old browsers by serving up CLUNKY, AGED version of search
- China: You, Microsoft. Office-Windows 'compatibility'. You have 20 days to explain
- Twitter: La la la, we have not heard of any NUDE JLaw, Upton SELFIES
- GCHQ protesters stick it to British spooks ... by drinking urine