5 posts • joined 22 Jun 2007
Not such a big deal
It's really not such a big deal.
- It's really easy to fix. They could MD5 any other value from the iPhone instead of the MAC. Or even a random value. Expect it in the next app update.
- Commercial applications (hospitals, offices) will not use the consumer Hue bridge, but a commercial grade gateway, which will have a different API/access control. The only critical part is the ZigBee over-the-air security.
- The attacker must first have access to the LAN which requires to exploit a vulnerability in the host PC. Makes the whole thing much less probable.
ZigBee IP has all that and more
With ZigBee IP, we already have a IPv6 compatible, worldwide available, wireless machine-to-machine communication protocol with all the benefits of SIG's specs (low power, long battery life etc) but also some more: open specs, big alliance of industry partners behind etc. Just that: ZigBee IP is not just a spec, theres also at least 5 silicon fabs (Texas Instrument and Silicon Labs come to mind) which ship eval boards today.
I'd say, you're about 3 years late with that tech, guys.
Still better than LinkedIn
LinkedIn is even (shocking!) directly asking for your mail password to access your contacts (and so propose connections).
At least Twitter has a decent OAuth authorization scheme (though that still doesn't help, as the article shows).
Use PDF/A - that's its purpose
Long-time (>5 years) archiving is not a new problem in the digital world. In my opinion, currently the most promising solution is the PDF/A standard (A stands for archive). That's PDF as we know it with some restrictions to make it more suitable for archiving.
Being an ISO standard and used by many libraries to back-up their documents, it will certainly be possible to find a reader in 20 years...
Btw, as any PDF, it also maintains the layout and presentation as requested by Matt (now we only need to lobby for an "Export to PDF/A" function in FB - dreaming on...)
That gear is not working (is the robot?)
On that robot's web site the PR people have chosen a beautiful image of gear. But as it is drawn, it can't turn... LOL
Hopefuly their engineers are better than the PR people...
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- Analysis Windows 10: One for the suits, right Microsoft? Or so one THOUGHT
- Vid+Pics Microsoft WINDOWS 10: Seven ATE Nine. Or Eight did really
- Xbox hackers snared US ARMY APACHE GUNSHIP ware - Feds
- George Clooney, WikiLeaks' lawyer wife hand out burner phones to wedding guests