2 posts • joined 27 Apr 2012
Hadoop is sooo oooold
Really. Batch? puhlease.
onshore or offshore?
Nice one Chris. Sad to see you go. It's a good start. But there is a fly in this ointment.
The vast majority of contracts I've seen have "most economically advantageous terms" as the primary criteria.
Quality and UK TCO are not really measured, the suppliers effectively write and mark their own homework, and the deliverable is too widely defined to be SMART. So the gov gets exactly what they wanted. Cheap (though only in a narrow sense). The fact it is "shit" is irrelevant.
This behaviour is entrenched in the contractual and costing assumptions built into the process.
We are starting to see some public sector rationality in this space. I worry, however, that the budgetary guillotine, which ignores total cost to the taxpayer, will tend to discourage a change of practice. We shall see...
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- First Crack Man buys iPHONE 6 and DROPS IT to SMASH on PURPOSE
- First Fondle Register journo battles Sydney iPHONE queue, FONDLES BIG 'UN
- TOR users become FBI's No.1 hacking target after legal power grab
- Vid Reg bloke zips through an iPHONE 6 queue from ZERO to 60 SECONDS