* Posts by JustNiz

162 posts • joined 18 Apr 2012

Page:

Software update borked radar, delayed hundreds of flights, says US FAA

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Seriously the FAA are running their next generation radar system on Windows? Wow. Whoever made that choice badly deserves to get fired for incompetence.

0
0

Apple, Google should give FBI every last drop of user information, says ex-HP CEO and wannabe US prez Carly Fiorina

JustNiz
Bronze badge

As a Brit now living in the US, I've repeatedly observed firsthand a very interesting phenomenon that apparently nearly all American women's (but not men's) solutions to almost any societal problem is to further dilute or even eliminate citizens constitutional rights/freedoms and give that power to the US government/police instead.

It's truly amazing how consistent this is, and how they all seem to have a complete blindspot to the obvious downsides.

I would truly love to know why this is.

0
0

You CAN'T jail online pirates for 10 years, legal eagles tell UK govt

JustNiz
Bronze badge

>> This led Mike Weatherley MP, IP adviser to the prime minister, to conclude that ... Until this is changed, online crime will be seen as less significant than traditional theft.”

ummm... Could that be because (no matter what Sony etc would like you to believe) making illegal copies of something actually isn't legally or logically the same as theft?

The guy is either a moron and/or has sold out to the RIAA/MPAA. Either way we need to get blatantly corrupt/clueless idiots like this out of government positions ASAP.

1
1

I've seen Kaspersky slap his staff with a walrus penis – and even I doubt the false-positive claims

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Anybody that allows their boss to slap them with a walrus penis in the first place, deserves it.

0
0

Would YOU make 400 people homeless for an extra $16m? Decision time in Silicon Valley

JustNiz
Bronze badge

I like what someone said earlier, he should tell the city he''ll take the 39 mill but only if they also give him a tax break so the after-tax difference between taking the 39 mill and 55 mill would be effectively zero to him.

I'd be surprised if some corrupt city official wasn't playing the "think of the residents" card while already drooling at the thought of being able to buy it cheap then get in exactly the same developers for a nice profit. I'd therefore also require a written legal contract that the city has to keep it as cheap housing for at least say 25 years.

1
0

Lights out for Ada Initiative – women's group closing shop

JustNiz
Bronze badge

It seems they are too sexist to have also considered a male for the job. If so, good riddance.

15
1

James Woods demands $10m from Twitter troll for 'coke addict' claim

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Interesting the way this article and the legal complaint itself is written. The devil is in the detail. James Woods doesn't like being accused of being a coke addict, and was careful to say he's not and never has been a coke addict.

Why would he say it that way? Anybody normal would just say they don' t do drugs at all. He's apparently been careful to not actually make that claim, just that he's not an addict (which itself has a very woolly definition).

....Which all makes me wonder if the unnamed Twitter trolls may actually have more of a justifiable point than just random name-calling.. which might also explain why Woods is getting so hot under the collar about what superficially appears to be just another internet troll... its actually uncomfortably close to (although not according to his definition of "addict") the real truth.

0
2

'Fix these Windows 10 Horrors': Readers turn their guns on Redmond

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: No Control of Updating

Well done for drinking Microsoft's Koolaid so deeply that you are even using the standard Microsoft response to any/all problems users encounter with crappy Microsoft software: Nobody else has these problems, all your problems are imaginary.

17
6

Windows 10: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE to Microsoft's long apology for Windows 8

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Multiple desktops @RegGuy1

>> Perhaps the answer is because we Windows users don't have to be subjected to arrogant, smug, patronizing dicks like you

..and here you are exactly being one. What is your point again?

>> Linux changes the whole UI with almost EVERY distribution

Firstly, that is pretty much the whole point of alternative distributions. Its called freedom of choice. Apparently something Microsoft users don't understand.

>> has a far longer learning cycle

Nope. Many studies have been done on people that have not used a computer before, they almost all universally show people get up to speed quicker with Linux than Windows. If you've already been brainwashed into the Microsoft way of doing things they yes you will have to relearn that things aren;t all in the same place as in Windows. Mostly as a result of conscious decisions to do it better because the Microsoft way of doing things sucks. Suck it up, its really not that hard to learn new things.

>> has had more bugs than Windows,

Please quote your actual sources or is this just unsubstantiated ranting? Hmm.. given about 95% of all supercomputers, web servers, routers etc are Linux-based do you REALLY think thats true?

Its a hard fact that Linux bugs are found and fixed far faster than Windows bugs are, because there is a community of literally millions of people looking at its source code every day.

>> Linux security isn't any better than Windows.

This is so NOT true its laughable. See earlier answers.

>> Linux is a developer cluster f@&k of massive proportions that has never gained any real momentum in the retail world,

Again more outright lies and unsubstantiated ranting, About 95% of all the internet servers and mainframe computers in the world use Linux, but corporate drones and fanbois like you that have already sold their soul to Microsoft live in denial of actual facts/figures from the world around them and just keep sticking their heads in the sand and drinking the Microsoft koolaid.

8
6

HP slaps dress code on R&D geeks: Bin that T-shirt, put on this tie

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Sorry but I just don't trust people or companies that think you're only as good as the clothes you wear. I'd certainly never work at one. I especially don't trust people that choose to wear ties or suits when they don't have to. I've always thought those types do that because they actually have nothing to offer and are just hiding behind a fake and very shallow image, and its surprising how often it turns out that I was right.

2
0

SPECTRE-tacular: New trailer out for Bond 24. But where's the pussy?

JustNiz
Bronze badge

I'm glad they seem to be finally understanding that we don't want yet another remake of mission impossible.

What actually makes Bond so entertaining is all the 60's cliches, gadgets, comedy, caddish style, sports cars and blatantly sexist womanizing. More of all of that please.

5
0

Windows 10 Edge: Standards kinda suck yet better than Chrome?

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Soon?

Never mind internal. Many of Microsoft's own mainstream commercial products rely on IE-only crap. Sharepoint is just one example.

7
0

Microsoft BEATS Apple, Google ... to accepting limited Bitcoin payments

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Welcome to the Darkside

>> This week a game will cost your 0.2 bitcoins, next week 0.8 bitcoins and then the week after back to 0.4 bitcoins. How will they stop the Yoyo effect or don't they care.

They don't care because it actually costs them nothing to give you a downloaded copy of their software, because they have lost nothing tangible. Even if the bitcoins they collect suddenly all devalued to nothing, they have still lost nothing, because what they gave you was virtual, cost them nothing to mkae your copy, and something you can't resell, so an actually valueless asset in the real world. At least with physical media copies of games it cost them money to make each one and you had something tangible you could resell, at least in theory.

I'm actually surprised they dont just give download versions of games away for free now, since most games these days are just another thinly veiled marketing mechanism to get even more revenue from customers in other ways, such as product placement, advertising, and/or another e-store, where you lucky peole get to exchange tangible assets (money, bitcoin) for virtual, infinitely reproducible at zero cost (so actually valueless) crap such as "exclusive" addons etc.

0
0

WikiLeaks reveals searchable trove of Sony Pictures documents

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Why is it 'hard to sympathise with Assange'?

>> Wikileaks - sells other peoples material

No it doesn't. It doesn't sell anything. Its not even a for-profit organization. its whole existence is for altruistic reasons.

>> Surely more of a "toss up" between them both?

only if you have zero sense of morality and are ignorant enough to think a corporatocracy is a good thing.

0
0

So much for rainbows, Zuck: Facebook staff still overwhelmingly male and white

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: A little OT perhaps

I would have sued their asses.

0
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Shock, surprise .. NOT!

>> Weird then, how the number of women interested is rising as the apparent opportunities rise and as workplaces become more equalised.

Thats actually not true. There were far more women as a ratio working in science/IT in the 70's/80's than now.

2
1
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Sometimes there's good reason.

>> as I (and hiring staff) actively practiced affirmative action

And you're actually PROUD of that?

PeeCee people like you get right up my nose. You dumbasses refuse to see that no matter how you try to hide it with a positive name, "affirmative action" is just yet more institutionalized sexism.

You idiots need to get over yourselves and understand there is no such thing as "good" sexism, so you need to hire people solely on their ability, not give people an unfair advantage (and so oppress others) just because of their gender.

The best and only logica thing you need to do is to make sure your vacancies are EQUALLY available to everyone. Anything more and you are unavoidably practicing some form of institutional bias. Two wrongs don't make a right.

13
8

Kamikaze Rosetta probe to ram comet it's chased for billions of miles

JustNiz
Bronze badge

67P has an orbital period of about 6.75 years. It will be REALLY cool if Philae wakes up again in 2022.

Of course by then there won't be anything left here for it to talk to, other than some dudes with mohawks driving crazy cars through the post-apocalyptic desert.

6
0

This whopping 16-bit computer processor is being built by hand, transistor by transistor

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Even though I am a geek I oficially don't get why anyone would spend so much time/money/space doing this as you can just go out and buy a functionally much better CPU for pennies that would fit easily into a matchbox.

Heck if he just wanted to see his processor design implemented he could/should have just programmed it into a PLD or something.

0
3

Buy with your head, drive with your heart: Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Thats one heck of a lot of money for what is basically a go cart in a pretty body.

Given it is priced similarly to a base F-type coupe which comes with much more everything, especially luxury, I know which I'd go for if I was in that market.

0
1

Nvidia's GTX 900 cards lock out open-source Linux devs yet again

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: One of the reasons I abandoned them years ago

>> the thing ran like crap because it was all software rendered.

You can't blame nVidia for that. There's no way an nVidia GPU would do software rendering of the desktop when its properly configured and is using the nVidia driver. All bets are off if you're using some piece of shit like nouveau (which unfortunately seems to get installed by default by most distros now).

0
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: @JEDIDIAH - A solution for the wrong problem

>> What else would you chose Linux if not for political purity ?

I don't give a crap about political purity. I run Linux because Linux is a lot more professional, controllable, understandable, flexible, secure and a MUCH better tool for pretty much any job than Windows.

Linux is like a good scalpel. Windows is like trying to be productive with rounded plastic scissors.

0
1
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Sure it would be nice if nVidia opened their drivers, but to be honest I'm much more concerned that my GPU works stably under Linux with all the features and performance that the Windows version of the driver has. Even if nVidia had open drivers I strongly doubt that I'd ever want or need to be messing with the code myself, so for me at least the point is moot as long as they just work, Maybe I'm just lucky but in my experience the nVidia Linux drivers always have been very stable, certainly much more so than AMD/ATI.

I'm in the market for a new laptop and those are exactly the reasons why I won't even consider any laptop with an AMD GPU, and will only consider one with an nVidia GPU in it. My only issue around nVidia is that there's not that much choice compared to AMD.

0
0

Why is it that women are consistently paid less than men?

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Because society still expects men to be the breadwinners and the main financial support for women/kids.

I know this argument is labelled "politically incorrect" by many women, but until divorce courts don't treat men like that, and it becomes socially unacceptable for women to expect men to pay for everything when they go out, or to expect an expensive diamond when they get married, or to expect expensive presents every birthday/anniversary/valentines when all they give is socks, or to use how much men earn as a criteria for whether they are dateable, or to not pay their half of all the bills, their arguments don't have a leg to stand on.

3
0

Anakin Skywalker chased by cops, crashes podracer into tree

JustNiz
Bronze badge

I will only call them a service when they actually start to serve my interests.

8
0

BOOM! Stephen Elop shuffled out of Microsoft door

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Well that confirms it...

Rudderless? Elop wasn't ever smart enough to be a rudder, he's just another overpaid, useless (w)anchor.

23
2

Microsoft to Linux users: Explain yourself

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Just use Linux and be done with it!

>> The thing is, no user cares, any more, what the underlying O/S is.

Bulldust. Don't paint me with that broad brush of ignorance.

I konw exactly what OS I'm using and care very much, because Windows just doesn't cut it for me on any level.

>> And this is where Linux still falls down, flat on its face. Sure, it provides some apps that are said to be "compatible" -

Compatible with what? Why are you assuming Windows is the "standard" here? ...and why should Microsoft get a free pass even though they make little to no attempts at all to make Windows compatible with a bunch of open international standards used by Linux and a lot of other OS's?

The Linux community makes some (actually fairly good) attempts to be compatible with Windows, even though Microsoft still try and keep the details of most of its proprietary protocols and formats secret exactly to prevent that and keep their users locked-in, even at the inconvenience of their own users. So you tell me: who is actually playing nicest in the sandbox, and who is actually showing they care most about their users needs here?

1
1
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: They won't listen

The only reason they provide Gnu/Linux support in Azure is because its the only way to get the vast majority of potential customers to even consider Azure.

They would drop support for Gnu/Linux immediately if they thought they could get away with it.

1
1
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: MS and Open Minds

>> Microsoft has turned the corner

No they haven't. Not even close.

They're just trying to do another version of embrace-and-extend because thats literally the only move they have ever learnt or needed.. Admittedly this time its slightly more sublte than Ballmer's throw a chair at Linux approach, since they are at least appearing to buddy-up and play nice, but we're all just meant to take the bait and fall for it.

Notice how Microsoft still never make any contributions to open source or the Linux Kernel that aren't just ultimately another trail of breadcrumbs that transitions Open Source/Linux users into non-standard/proprietary/expensve Microsoft tech.

The sign that Microsoft have actually turned the corner will be when they drop their patent trolling against Linux and help to grow the community in an open-standard/libre way that doesn’t obviously try to convert users to a Microsoft dependency. Don't hold your breath though, It will never happen, because Microsoft and Open Source are founded on philosophies that are diametrically opposed at the most fundamental levels.

1
1
JustNiz
Bronze badge

I tell you what Microsoft, how about you first stop attacking the very same community you're also asking for help from?

You start by dropping your troll-like secret patent claims against Linux, then maybe, just maybe, we'll think about helping you.

1
0

Would EU exit 'stuff' the UK? Tech policy boss gets diplomatic

JustNiz
Bronze badge

I really thought this had already been officially decided years ago.

I certainly remember some decision around English being the EU common language, and France getting pissy over French not being chosen.

5
0

LG G4: Be careful while fingering this leather-clad smartie pants

JustNiz
Bronze badge

I agree Android isn't perfect but its way better than Apple or Microsoft. What other choices are there?

0
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

>> Samsung has made its best phone in years

No it hasn't.

>> – the Galaxy S6 has a sealed battery and no expandable storage.

Yeah thats exactly the reason why it isn't even close to its best phone. I'd much rather have my old S3 just because it has those things.

0
0

Future Range Rovers will report pot-holes directly to councils

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Great. Yet more pointless crap that will become standard and add even more unnecessary weight, complexity and cost to your next car.

0
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: The best 4x4 by far complaining about potholes

Yeah what next? Ferraris reporting roads with speed limits that are set too high?

0
0

Using leather in 'leccy cars is 'unTesla', rages vegan shareholder

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Unless your grid is entirely coal based

You forgot nuclear, solar, wind farms and wave farms.

0
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Most cows alive wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for them being bred to produce meat and leather. I claim their right to life trumps these morons right to some sense of arrogant, misplaced self-righteousness.

Anyway, since when did Tesla's mission statement have anything to do with saving animals?

Also how does wastefully throwing away the skins of cows bred/killed for meat as opposed to reusing them to make useful, durable leather goods make any logical sense in any argument about caring for the planet?

3
1

New US bill aims to zap patent trolls with transparency demands

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Bet it won't apply

That was the first thing that occurred to me when I read this.

I can't wait for the end of Microsoft's income from Android. I can't believe that so many dumb companies fall in line and make ongoing blackmail payments to Microsoft, jsut for a vague promise that they won't sue at some unspecified time in the future for merely using some unspecified free/open source technology in Linux, that wasn't even written by Microsoft.

9
0

Sysadmins rebel over GUI-free install for Windows Server 2016

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Finally.

Finally, a way to get rid of al those clueless "MS Certified IT Guru" morons that think just because they can open a word doc they know everything about computers.

4
3

Your CAR is the 'ultimate mobile device', reckons Apple COO

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Seriously, this reminds me of when a few years ago some car models came out proudly displaying a "Powered by Microsoft" badge.

A "Keep Away" sign wouldn't have been as effective at deterring me from buying one.

1
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

More and more cars are coming with tons (literally and metaphorically) of mostly unnecessary, expensive, complex, proprietary tech that goes out of date and unsupported by the manufacturer after a couple of years, (long before the car itself is used up), is unmaintainable/unreplaceable by the owner, and more often than not now has compulsory phone-home technology built right in and reporting on you 24/7. I'm calling you out Tesla, Nissan and GM/On-Star, amongst others.

I know we're all meant to blindly trust and enjoy the 'added convenience' of the pretty much pointless features that all this expensive extra non-optional hardware brings, but I am now at a point where I refuse to even consider purchasing any car if it has any of that crap in it. It is getting harder and harder to find any cars without it though, especially new ones. I'll just buy/drive old cars from now on if thats what it takes.

Since nearly all car manufacturers are on thes band wagon, It seems to me there's a real and growing market for a manufacturer of premium cars that don't have any non-optional tech in.

3
1

Microsoft's Surface 3 is sweet – but I wouldn't tickle my nads with it

JustNiz
Bronze badge

question I've never got an answer to.

I like the detachable keyboard idea, but it seems only Microsfot are doing it.

Can you upgrade these Microsoft tabletty things to Linux or do they have Windows burned-in/locked down somehow?

0
0

Milking cow shot dead by police 'while trying to escape'

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Stupid city folk

Clueles Morons. I'm surprised they didn't call in the TSG to blow it up and protect us poor civilians from it.

Unless this cow is radically different from every other cow in the world, it was almost certainly just petrified by being alone and surrounded by 20 militaristic wankers with high-vis jackets and a bunch of cars with flashing lights.

I'm sure it would have been easy to herd away by someone with an actual clue (ideally the cow's farmer) if they'd have just stopped all their activity and given it time and space to calm down.

3
1

Feds: Bloke 'HACKED PLANE controls' – from his PASSENGER seat

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: no punishment

> hundreds or thousands of people are flying in identical airplanes right now and could crash the plane using the entertainment system.

If you're going to make such a bold statement you need to back it up with some actual facts. As a senior software engineer that works in avionics I can tell you that this claim is both technically impossible and also utter bullshit. The entertainment network (or anything else) isn't in any way connected to the avionics network and they are VERY careful about that.

3
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Everything is wrong about this claim.

I'm a senior software engineer working in an avionics company and can tell you not only are they not even on the same network, they're very carefully partitioned in every way.

I remain convinced that there's no way this claim is even possible. Not only is there literally no way to access the avionics network from a passenger seat (short of tearing up the walls/floor to get to the actual cabling). Even if you somehow did theres still no way an unknownunauthorised unit on that network can just issue a "climb" command to an EMC (Engine Management Computer) thats total baloney. Apart from anything else no such single command even exists in the first place.

7
0

Elon Musk: I'm neither a samurai nor a bastard

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Expecting a worker that doesn't own any part of the company to personally care enough to work extra hours for free is ridiculous. The employer-employee relationship is a simple business contract between equals. Nothing less or more. Workers exchange hours/talent for money with the employer. When one side abuses that, its time to push back.

You wouldn't phone a plumber then once he's in the door demand he work for nothing, so why do employers think they can do it? The simple answer is entirely because the employees allow it to work. Employers like Musk understand human psychology enough to know that, and divisively use words like "We've gotten soft" and "commitment to the company" just as a way to (ab)use it and make more free money for himself.

Next time your employer tells you to work extra hours for free, try asking them to give you some extra money for nothing and see how sincere THEY really are about "showing commitment".

Sure employees often complain to each other about unpaid overtime expectations but in reality how often do they do something about it? stand together? never. Until you stand up for yourselves just accept you will be treated like the employers bitches you allow yourselves to be, and stop whining about it.

25
0

Hey! Want a FREE TOASTER that makes BITCOIN? What? You DO?

JustNiz
Bronze badge

seems to me the best thing to do would be to allow them to send you a shiny new free toaster (or whatever) then simply avoid ever connecting it to the internet.

0
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Where does the electricity go?

>> I unplug my toaster after I've finished with it.

I'm assuming its a pop-up toaster so turns itself off when its done. Why on earth would you go to the hassle of plugging/unplugging it every time when Its not consuming any power?

Do you also bother to plug/unplug your TV everytime? At least there's a semi-logical argument for that since unlike toasters, most modern TVs actually do still consume (a tiny) amount of power even when "off".

0
0
JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Erm....

>> Maybe these devices use a tiny bit more leccy than otherwise? Or what?

Lol no. Bitcoin miners use a LOT of power. (1 to 3 Kwh is normal), so about 50 quid/week in leccy alone. That kind of mining currently gets you about half a bitcoin a month which is worth maybe 75-80 quid.

If they made a unit that used less power, then it would also mine correspondingly less, so 10x reduction in power is only going to mine 7 or 8 quid a month but still cost 20/month to run, assum,ing its running 24/7. If they made it any less power-hungry than that it wouldn't even cover the cost of them giving you the toaster.

1
0

From Manchester to Microsoft – missing mum :-(

JustNiz
Bronze badge

Re: Mortgages are go!

Yeah I gotta say I agree with you. There's no way that back in England I could afford the house, cars or lifestyle I have here in Arizona,

I do miss many things about England, but every trip back I see more of the good things have been lost forever, and how the whole country is turning into a slum full of non-integrating immigrants, druggies and pawn shops.

0
0

Page:

Forums