Re: pointless stupidity
> "Because it's contradicted by actual evidence. Eg:"
A model does not equal "actual evidence"... At all..
> ""We find that water vapor is the dominant substance — responsible for
> about 50% of the absorption, with clouds responsible for about 25% —
> and CO2 responsible for 20% of the effect. The remainder is made up
> with the other minor greenhouse gases, ozone and methane for
> instance, and a small amount from particles in the air (dust and other
> 20% isn't "tiny, tiny"
Okay, a well written article and fine piece of scientific research. But you only pick an issue that helps your view and discard everything else it seems.
1) Modeling finds a 20% attribution of CO2, so would it not be well worth to look into the other 80% ?
2) Modeling finds that the CO2 attribution behaves non linear: "the impact of removing the CO2 is approximately seven times as large as doubling it" or as gary27 stated: "greenhouse effect of co2 now mostly done - think saturation law of diminishing returns";
3) Every model makes assumptions of values of other variables. In this case, the model greatly simplifies the earth and weather. It can therefore by no means be seen as being "actual evidence". It is, at most, a very good piece of work to understand what the effects of CO2 could have been, given a certain basic environment. It helps getting an understanding of the issues at hand, no more.
4) The article describes a negative net greenhouse effect of clouds, which of course creates a negative feedback to heating. Cloud cover also increases as more cosmic radiation falls upon earth, so which percentage of our current heating can be attributed to less cosmic radiation than usual ?
I mean, it's not so simple. Any model can find suspects for both cooling and heating. The real world is way more complex than that. I think CO2 is much overhyped. Farting animals and vulcanism ? Good suspects too. But we really don't want to get rid of our cows and pigs or welcome big vulcanic eruptions. We *can* get a grip on CO2, so come on, create world peace and join together to fight it.