2 posts • joined 26 Jan 2012
Interesting perspective - apparently MS's $6.38bn profit is a sizeable chunk compared to Apple's smidgen profit of $13.1bn?
ServerNet -> Infiniband
InfiniBand originated from the 1999 merger of two competing designs:
- Future I/O, developed by Compaq, IBM, and Hewlett-Packard
- Next Generation I/O (ngio), developed by Intel, Microsoft, and Sun
When Compaq took over Tandem in 1997, ServerNet was one of the gems it acquired, and thats how Infiniband directly inherited many ServerNet features.
Tandem Computers developed the original ServerNet architecture and protocols for use in its own proprietary computer systems starting in 1992, and released the first ServerNet systems in 1995. (http://tinyurl.com/899d9v5)
After 25 years, systems still ship today based on the ServerNet architecture, in both MPP and SMP systems.
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Vid BONFIRE of the MEGA-BUCKS: $200m+ BURNED in SECONDS in Antares launch blast
- Hate the BlackBerry Z10 and Passport? How about this dusty old flashback instead?