2 posts • joined 26 Jan 2012
Interesting perspective - apparently MS's $6.38bn profit is a sizeable chunk compared to Apple's smidgen profit of $13.1bn?
ServerNet -> Infiniband
InfiniBand originated from the 1999 merger of two competing designs:
- Future I/O, developed by Compaq, IBM, and Hewlett-Packard
- Next Generation I/O (ngio), developed by Intel, Microsoft, and Sun
When Compaq took over Tandem in 1997, ServerNet was one of the gems it acquired, and thats how Infiniband directly inherited many ServerNet features.
Tandem Computers developed the original ServerNet architecture and protocols for use in its own proprietary computer systems starting in 1992, and released the first ServerNet systems in 1995. (http://tinyurl.com/899d9v5)
After 25 years, systems still ship today based on the ServerNet architecture, in both MPP and SMP systems.
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids
- Why did it take antivirus giants YEARS to drill into super-scary Regin? Symantec responds...