2 posts • joined 26 Jan 2012
Interesting perspective - apparently MS's $6.38bn profit is a sizeable chunk compared to Apple's smidgen profit of $13.1bn?
ServerNet -> Infiniband
InfiniBand originated from the 1999 merger of two competing designs:
- Future I/O, developed by Compaq, IBM, and Hewlett-Packard
- Next Generation I/O (ngio), developed by Intel, Microsoft, and Sun
When Compaq took over Tandem in 1997, ServerNet was one of the gems it acquired, and thats how Infiniband directly inherited many ServerNet features.
Tandem Computers developed the original ServerNet architecture and protocols for use in its own proprietary computer systems starting in 1992, and released the first ServerNet systems in 1995. (http://tinyurl.com/899d9v5)
After 25 years, systems still ship today based on the ServerNet architecture, in both MPP and SMP systems.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of vast BULGE FOUND ON MOON is SOLVED
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- China in MONOPOLY PROBE into Microsoft: Do not pass GO, do not collect 200 yuan