1 post • joined 29 Nov 2011
Atmos is the one to beat? Really? Research reveals a different story.
Chris, despite ignoring excellent object/cloud storage systems from Nirvanix, Scality, Cleversafe, NetApp, Amplidata, and HDS (although this one is more of a CAS than an object/cloud storage) the comment about Atmos feels like EMC propaganda vs. market realities. Every customer bake-off I have seen with Atmos in the mix chose a product other than Atmos. EMC sales leads most archival opportunities with Isilon and/or Data Domain, not Atmos.
Based on market success, you would have to say the SMB public cloud storage service to beat is Amazon; the Enterprise or SME public cloud storage service to beat is Nirvanix; the most resilient private object/cloud storage system to beat is Cleversafe; the largest private object/cloud storage container in production is Cleversafe; the largest public object/cloud storage container in production is Amazon; and the list goes on. Candidly, I do not consider EMC's Atmos a leader in any category. EMC is a fantastic marketing and sales organization that sells more storage systems than anyone else; however, object/cloud storage has been to date mostly a swing and a miss..
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Game Theory The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?
- Hello, police, El Reg here. Are we a bunch of terrorists now?
- Kate Bush: Don't make me HAVE CONTACT with your iPHONE
- Worstall on Wednesday Wall Street woes: Oh noes, tech titans aren't using bankers