Re: Still doesn't look as usable
- weird left margin with mysterious / sinister black box at the top
That's part of the set
- close button, but no minimize or restore buttons on windows
Minimize & restore buttons are visible next to the close buttons
- tiny icons with no text in the taskbar (hope that the horrible mess overlaying it is something on the stage, and not on the screen)
The "horrible mess" is quite obviously a camera. There's no less text than present in W7.
- tiny start button, less easy to click
Same size as W7
- live tiles on the start menu, presumably difficlt to configure and taking time to go and check how many emails you have, what the weather forecast is, etc whenever you click the start button
It's clear you've already reached a conclusion about the update, without even seeing it in use or trying it for yourself with these sort of comments.
- internet explorer icon next to start button, presumably difficult to remove / replace
No different to W7. I've seen loads of installs with IE there, that can be moved / removed like any other pinned app.
- still letting applications install unwanted crap on right of taskbar (and no clock there)
There's a clock there, and all the icons are for windows features
- that's enough free UI design consultancy from me....
If it wasn't free, I'd be asking for my money back. It's clear you didn't even look at the UI before you volunteered your consultancy.