* Posts by nijam

152 posts • joined 4 Nov 2011

Page:

Linux Mint 17.2: If only all penguinista desktops were done this way

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Goodness.

The difference being that a major new OS release is extremely likely to earn criticicisms, whereas a minor point-release or update - such as that reviewed here - might reasonably be expected to be a set of slight improvements, that in turn might even warrant a review that isn't at all critical.

1
0

Google harms consumers and strangles the open web, says study

nijam
Bronze badge

> But now they are just another listing site trying to shove shopping and other listing sites (that they probably own) down my throat. Selling what they want you to buy, not supplying the information you seek...

Strangely, that doesn't happen to me ... put in a search query, get results, get no listing sites. Are you sure it's Google you're using?

0
1

Why OH WHY did Blighty privatise EVERYTHING?

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: More balance please

> Conveniently missing were mentions of all the cases where companies were nationalised because the private sector failed

I was always told that the rail system was bankrupted by the Government not paying enough (or anything in some cases) for rail transport during WWII. If true, that would not be a failure of the private sector, obviously.

0
0

Ditching political Elop makes for a more Nadella Microsoft

nijam
Bronze badge

> The problem is that he reached for the mobile vision with which he was most familiar: Microsoft's

In other words he was a Microsoft mole after all, albeit implicitly rather than overtly.

I've worked in organsisations which have taken on management from outside, and it's always that same story.... you intend to get new ideas, but all to often end up with another organisation's discards. It's not even surprising.

3
0

Hi-res audio folk to introduce new rules and weed out impure noises

nijam
Bronze badge

... and that one loses frequency sensitivity as one listens to MP3s ...

FTFY

0
0
nijam
Bronze badge

You (and he) aren't hearing the ultrasonics, though; you're hearing intermodulation distortion.

2
0
nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Nyquist-Shannon

> Are you saying the music is a truly periodic signal, or that it is sampled in time from minus infinity to plus infinity or something similar? If not, how do you apply the theorem to get *perfect* reconstruction for finite non-periodic signals?

As I recollect, the periodicity only gives uniqueness of decomposition. That uniqueness may perhaps have some practical benefit, but any decomposition would still be correctly re-composed. As for the infinite duration issue, you can easily show that you get the same results (at least so far as human hearing is concerned) as by feeding an arbitrary duration of silence into the sampling process before and after the recording.

So actually it isn't bullshit in practice.

1
0
nijam
Bronze badge

Re: "a brave person who said that HRA has no audible benefits"

> ... and 11dB for quantisation noise...

What? for quantisation noise shouldn't exceed 0.5 bits (unless you're doing it very incompetently), so between 3 or 4 dB. Not 11dB.

0
0
nijam
Bronze badge

Re: for dogs only

Correct, and furthermore the difference and sum signals recombine into the original (that's the other part of the Fourier deal, after all)... *unless* they're distorted en route. In which case, it's the distortion, not the bandwidth, that needs correcting.

1
0

Microsoft releases free Office apps for half of all Android phones

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Almost a fan

> Apps -such as Office - uninstall very readily on a Windows Phone.

Not so. 'Apps' may do be uninstallable, but MS stuff such as Office and OneNote is locked down, and (maybe) doesn't even count as an app. Maybe you can remove them from jailbroken WPhone.

1
0

Germany says no steamy ebooks until die Kinder have gone to bed

nijam
Bronze badge

> What makes a book sexually explicit, or to use the regulator's words, "youth endangering"?

Any fascist goverment will be able to answer that for you. (They may not all agree, unfortunately.)

0
0

Climate change alarmism is a religious belief – it's official

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: In other words, "When to act"

> The answers, therefore, are in order: "already too much" and "as much as we can".

And there, in a single sentence, is all the evidence for AGW you will get.

1
1

Facebook and Twitter queen Taylor Swift: Facebook and Twitter are RUBBISH

nijam
Bronze badge

No, just another "musician" with a large enough fanbase that the record company uses them as a propaganda mouthpiece.

0
1

Downing Street secretly deletes emails to avoid exposure to FOIeurs

nijam
Bronze badge

> And aren't there any government rules on retention of official documents ? Surely those responsible for instructing for this to happen should be charged for breaking those rules ?

Yes, but as an earlier commentard observed, email is not an appropriate medium for official (or any other important) documents, for one thing it's almost devoid of security. If the documents are official they should be elsewhere, not in email archives.

0
0

MIT bods' digital economy babblings are tosh. C'mon guys, Economics 101

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: @Tim Worstall

> So maybe the lesson is that those with transferable skills will be OK and those without are screwed?

Surely you mean "replaceable" rather than "transferable", or have you missed the the author's point completely? The rise of the motor car didn't mean that farriers started fitting horseshoes to cars (or transferring their skills to apprentice farriers, for that matter), it meant that most farriers had to replace their skill-set with different skills.

0
0

Tech giants gang up on Obama over encryption key demands

nijam
Bronze badge

Weak (or no) encryption only helps criminals, we all know that.

If anyone (e.g. NSA, or GCHQ, or the Daily Mail, or ...) asks for encryption to be weakend or banned, you can immediately deduce that they are indeed amongst that class who will be helped by weak (or no) encryption.

QED

2
0

A 16 Petaflop Cray: The key to fantastic summer barbecues

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Can anyone clarify?

> I noticed when I visited the USA that many people seemed happy with a forecast of "there's a 30% chance of snow" whereas the standard British response to this on a TV weather forecast seems to be "well, will it or won't it?" so I think they may have a cultural issue on their hands as well.

In your example, the USA version is essentially useless. In information-theoretic terms they may as well have said nothing at all, as far as the "person in the street" is concerned.

0
1

Paper driving licence death day: DVLA website is still TITSUP

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: There is no such thing as "Road Tax"!

> The Road Fund Licence ... was abolished in 1936!

Well, no it wasn't, only the name (more specifically, the goverment's name for it) changed; everything else stayed exactly the same - the price, the little disc you got to stick the windscreen, the way you bought it, ...

So it wasn't actually changed in any meaningful way. Obviously. And that's why people keep calling it by the original name.

5
3

Microsoft spunks $500m to reinvent the wheel. Why?

nijam
Bronze badge

> ... mobile apps that are poor cousins of its own Exchange and Outlook software.

How could *anything* at all be considered a "poor cousin" of those abominations?

> Apps that, in some cases, don’t natively work with Microsoft’s server software.

No, it's Microsoft's server software that doesn't work natively with them.

0
0

Second-hand IT alliance forms to combat 'bully' vendors

nijam
Bronze badge

Well, this is why you look at lifetime TCO. With the subtext "I assume your kit is unreliable - why else would your annual support contract be so expensive".

1
0

Network negotiations nix 2015 Apple TV streaming

nijam
Bronze badge

> disintermediate it from the producers

It's not the producers, it's the competing middlemen that they'll need to disintermediate from.

1
0

Windows 10 upgrade ADWARE forces its way on to Windows 7 and 8.1

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: I'm confused

Having grown up in a medical family, I know that an "application" is like a cream or an ointment, except that it's to treat infections that are not mentioned in polite company.

6
0

Creationist: The Flintstones was an accurate portrayal of Dino-human coexistence

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Derr.....

> the whole things a pile of crap anyway

Surely not. I have a definite recollection that it was written by Satan.

0
0
nijam
Bronze badge

> for example a quartet: greater than just the sum of four performers?

If you're talking about string quartets, I'd say definitely *not* greater!

0
0

Land Rover's return: Last orders and leather seats for Defender nerds

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Madness...

> Is there any technology that can cure childhood?

Yes, it's called parenting. Like common sense, it also is being steadily eliminated, of course.

4
4

Driverless cars deal DEATH to Detroit, says Barclays

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Road tax?

Don't be silly! The Road Fund Licence (which the government have repeatedly tried renaming, to support their pretence that it was not introduced just to fund roads) will stay with us. Your per km/mile charging will be added on top of that, to cover the loss of the exorbitant excise duty on road vehicle fuel, VAT on road vehicle fuel, and (of course) VAT on the excise duty on road vehicle fuel. So your figures are probably about 10% of what the real charges will be.

1
1

Heartbleed, eat your heart out: VENOM vuln poisons countless VMs

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Remediate?

I thought they meant re-meditate with it.

0
0

POW: Smut-seeding copyright troll slammed as 'extortionate'

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Criminal?

> Isn't this straightforward blackmail, and hence a criminal offence?

A bit more like a protection racket than blackmail, surely?

0
0

Going up hills past blokes with coke-bottle legs: The Smart E-bike

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Weak forever or strong tomorrow?

Yes, I used to that stuff for several years. So now my knees are f@@@ed and I can't cycle and can only just manage to climb stairs. Fitness isn't quite as good for you as some people think.

0
0

Lies, damn lies and election polls: Why GE2015 pundits fluffed the numbers so badly

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: We don't vote for parties...

> Because you don't. Locally maybe, but on a national level the local-representative election system

> the UK uses will heavily skew the seat distribution on even minor differences in voting totals.

> Because the local winner takes all, and only needs a marginal victory to take that victory, the

> system ensures that a "majority" national government representation will always be an actual

> minority by votes.

That is true of PR to exactly the same extent as it is true for FPTP.

How so? Because, at the end of it all, there is only a single government, and only a minority of voters voted for it* (as opposed to any other potential goverment). PR just gives a different kind of minority goverment and - no surprise - is supported mainly by parties who believe they'd do better than they do under FPTP.

* Unless you live in a single-party state, then all the votes cast will be for the governmment.

0
2

HP lifts lid on Autonomy lawsuit claims, but Lynch cries BOLLOCKS

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: The Enron Defence

> An audit is about giving a "true and fair view" of the financial statements ...

Not strictly correct, it's about *confirming* that the accounts (which may be produced by the company itself or by external accountants, who in turn may be the same accountants that do the audit) give that "true and fair view".

A significant part of that confirmation lies in checking (at least some of) the information provided by thoise being audited.

> (In a former life I was a Chartered Accountant.....)

Me too.

0
0

Your new car will dob you in to the cops if you crash, decrees EU

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: How is this legal?

> ... it is illegal to use your mobile phone in a petrol station for fears of it causing an explosion ...

There was never evidence of an explosion risk. There *was* evidence that mobile phones interfered with the pump metering/monitoring systems, so you could get more fuel than the cash register realised. I.e. another fake safety concern wheeled out to achieve something unrelated to safety, just like this latest proposal.

6
2

When THINGS attack! Defending data centres from IoT device-krieg

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: I'd like to announce....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_of_Sabotage of course.

0
0

REVEALED: The 19 firms whose complaints form EU's antitrust case against Google

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: What about Amazon?

> I'm surprised they are not on the list.

They aren't on the list because they're perfectly capable of competing without needing EU help. Unlike the no-hopers and MS stooges on the list, in other words.

7
2

Watch out for the products that have snuck in behind your back

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Not just IT, but largely

Indeed, there are too many organisations where the IT department has the exact same features as a Denial Of Service attack.

1
0

What is the REAL value of your precious, precious data?

nijam
Bronze badge

A little oblique to this article, but...

It would be interesting to speculate what would happen if the Data Protection Act went a little further - as you might logically consider it should, in fact - and specified that personal data is irrevocably the property of the person (i.e. the data subject), and consequently organisations (all of them*, not just Google, Amazon, or whoever else the good commentards deem inappropriate this week) need to licence it to use it.

That licence could be for a fixed period, say a year, after which it would have to be renewed, so that the data owner/subject could validate it as accurate, relevant, and so on (as already specified in the DPA). All at the licensee's expense, not the data owner/subject's, of course.

Just a thought.

* EU, HMRC, GCHQ, all spring readily to mind, I'm sure you can all add to the list. No need for any of those pesky exceptions for government organisations, either.

3
0

Google pulls plug on YouTube for older iPads, iPhones, smart TVs

nijam
Bronze badge

Smart TVs - they aren't actually smart, you know. They just seem that way compared to the people who buy them.

3
1

Hybrid IT? Not a long-term thing, says AWS CTO

nijam
Bronze badge

You say "cloud", I hear "billowing toxic fumes".

1
0

WHAT did GOOGLE do SO WRONG to get a slapping from the EU?

nijam
Bronze badge

Monopoly

Sorry about this, but felt I had to do it...

Why is there only one EU?

1
2
nijam
Bronze badge

Re: but...

> The fact that Google presents you with their shopping results ahead of anyone else's, and often in lieu of anyone else's clearly shows they know what you want to see but chose not to show it.

WTF? Google has *never* shown me their own shopping results. Nor, I'm delighted to say, have comparison sites ever come near the top of my searches. (Comparison sites are usually just a list of sponsored links anyway, they just don't admit it.)

So what are the rest of you doing that makes these things into an issue?

1
0

What's Meg Whitman fussing over: The fate of HP ... or the font on a DISRUPTIVE new logo?

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: You're all wrong!

> It's obviously a memristor.

Are you saying there's nothing in those either?

1
0

Health apps and wearables make you nervous, not fit, say boffins

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: The mind boggles.

@ Cuddles

Completely agree. Some of the recent studies on diet - exemplified by those with result that suggested the 5-2 diet - suggest that our bodies have actually evolved to starve to death; i.e. if we aren't starving, it's evidence we're eating unheathily.

1
0
nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Worn by the "worried well"

As I recall, there was a section about this near the beginning of "Three Men In A Boat" so it's not exactly new. The new part is that we are now making such paranoia power-assisted.

2
0

Microsoft points at Skype, Lync: You two, in my office – right now

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Yeah, it's great but...

We use Lync at work and it doesn't work fine. Why not? Because it requires you to push your head right up Microsoft's silo, and we have some non-MS kit. The Apple version is poor. The Linux version is non-existent - with a firm promise that it will remain so. The WIndows version works mostly, kind-of (I remember laughing in disbelief as it popped up a message about a missed phone call *whilst I was in the middle of that call*).

7
1

Why are enterprises being irresistibly drawn towards SSDs?

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Where's the value?

For rotary rust, it's the 24/7 that makes it reliable. Spinning up/down (and the power changes to do so) is what kills them.

0
0

Apple Watch: We ROUNDUP the ROUNDUPS. Yes, Roundup-squared

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: Wristjob

Why wasn't "One off the wrist" included amongst your voting selections for for the device name?

0
0

Dell System Detect update vulnerability exposed

nijam
Bronze badge

> "remediated"

Does this mean they're also too stupid to be able to spell "remedied"?

0
0

Boffins: Large Hadron Collider NOW movin', we're getting down and crush groovin'

nijam
Bronze badge

Re: sucking up the funding

> CERN costs peanuts compared to the money wasted on the things that kill people ...

... or even on the 2012 Olympics. Still, at least we got a legacy from that. (Smirk.)

2
0

Locally Integrated Menus back on Vivid Vervet’s menu

nijam
Bronze badge

I expect (it is likely that) systemd will (eventually) work (more-or-less) as it is intended to, whereas the SysV 'init' files have already evolved to a working state.

The problem with systemd is that there are crucial conceptual defects in its architecture, and the motivation for the project is to fix flaws that I don't believe really affect anybody, and could be fixed equally well with a little thought in the 'init' based system. Systemd flaws start with petty irritations such as the completely unnecessary use of non-text log files (which at least gives evidence that its designers had no interest in Linux or any other Unix-based OS) right through to entangling it in library code that has no apparent relation to process management.

The fact that systemd may eventually handle some boot-up or some hardware component "better" is a weak justification for the misguided design.

2
0

Tidal music launch: Pop plutocrats pour FLAC on rival Spotify

nijam
Bronze badge

> Do iphones support FLAC now?

No, that niggling little "F" means that Apple will not tolerate it.

3
0

Page:

Forums