5 posts • joined Thursday 14th June 2007 18:48 GMT
Better off with Ipod and Freecharger
Too expensive, lack of power I suspect from the cheap alternator, if it is the same one I tested in Baylis's torches.
If you want to go the wind up route, get the more powerful Freeplay 'Freecharge' hand cranked charger in conjunction with the video Ipod or similar.
Please see my test page here.
Well yes, this would be an ideal solution.
Photovoltaic cells are expensive, cost per watt, and this would increase the retail price obviously.
It's a case of assessing what folk are prepared to pay for a final product really.
20-30-40- 50 pounds or more, I'm not sure at this stage.
You can copy and paste the link below to vote in my poll. (I don't quite understand why links aren't allowed)
Thanks for the comments, appreciated.
Just for 'M' I have included a ' No, I would not buy it' option on the poll on my forum, it makes sense I suppose..
The wind chargers output at present is approx 0.5 Watt @ 12 mph, not great compared to a solar panel.
Please remember, this is a prototype.
'Betz law' suggests a power rating of 1 watt for a 12" (30cm) diameter propeller at 80% efficiency in a 10 mph wind, so some improvements are needed, we have about 50 planned.
So this is the figure we will be aiming for in the production model.
Also remember, the wind can blow 24/7 unlike the sun's relative short 'window of opportunity'.
- Facebook offshores HUGE WAD OF CASH to Caymans - via Ireland
- Review Best budget Android smartphone there is? Must be the Moto G
- NSFW Confessions of a porn site boss: How the net porn industry flopped
- World's OLDEST human DNA found in leg bone – but that's not the only boning going on...
- OHM MY GOD! Move over graphene, here comes '100% PERFECT' stanene