8 posts • joined 6 Oct 2011
earth to moon is a bit further that reported ...
closest around 350,000km, not 350km
Re: Without solving the human-level AI problem?
Facial puppetry already exists, in real-time too.
BTW I recommend browsing through the SIGGRAPH videos every August.
Re: Calls to mobiles
"Called party pays" is pretty unusual. Probably the restriction on free calls reflects which carriers have agreed to colo their VoIP digiboxs, and the peering arrangements their sales guys have wrangled.
Re: Calls to mobiles
The US was the first country to use cell phones, so there were no best practices for them to follow (like not calling them 'cell' phones…). One of the common best practices that the US didn't follow is with numbering: when you signed a cell phone contract, you were assigned a geographical number e.g. if you signed the contract in Houston, your cell number was in the 713 area code.
The advantage was you could get a home and cell number that were very similar (i.e. xxx1 for home, xxx2 for cell). The disadvantage was that callers could not tell if a given number was a cell or not, and thus would be outraged if what they thought was a local call ended up costing them tens of dollars.
The telcos avoided this situation by pushing the increased cost onto the cell phone contract, so that callers would always be charged the same rate for geo-like numbers, and cell phone subscribers would pay to accept calls.
Smart projectiles; also battleships have enormous inertia and tend not to significantly bob.
3 main problems to overcome
1. control surfaces and flight control software are non-trivial
2. need a highly insensate, low weight, high energy payload (this will probably be toxic, difficult to manufacture, or supply is tightly controlled)
3. budget would have been in excess of USD$100k; a Tomahawk costs USD$570k ( which is within the same order of magnitude and has already solved problem 1 & 2 )
ah, grey routes
Glad someone mentioned carousels.
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor