8 posts • joined 31 Aug 2011
Been running OwnCloud for a year on VPS. Really like it a lot, uploading big files is stable and 6 to 7 is a big improvement.
+ It is a 100mb upload of umm what exactly and it keeps getting bloatier in a way that gives Joomla a run for its money. Everytime you create a new user there's a mb's of useless bloat sample docs created.
+ You can't easily use it as a faux CDN because it creates special links to files and likes to open a page on a shared link. I wanted to use it to manage a lot of audio files into a website that can load into a flash-based mp3 player and it simply won't play despite a lot of link hacks tried. They need to fix this as stuff like rackspace cdn just works and a link is a link.
Re: I am amazed.
I'd like to like these drives, but I bought a M500 480gb that took ages to recognise in bios and then windows refused to install to it in a brand new mobile workstation. Sent it back, confirmed faulty, they sent a replacement, same issue and 5 wasted weeks later I'm using a 1tb Samsung evo now and it was fine from the go. Not confident to touch crucial again after this tho obviously a bad batch.
Well, there's way better eating options, healthy competition in food prices and no less dead than the financial end of the cbd after hours. Just don't expect a party on a saturday night as my recent school reunion was a marker of.
But hell, Google were not reviewing my workplace when they were measuring internet bandwidth and connectivity! And dwindling? Didn't Coke just move in to their deformed wedge in recent times?
yeah, more needed
i recently left vodafone for a few reasons after shifting over from 3...
they just seriously do not seem to have it together yet. eg...
- a prepaid pocket wifi brand new in an area just finished with the 'upgrade' could not do more than 10kb/sec downloads. no knowledge of the issue at customer service and after 5 days of this for overseas visiting clients and still no clue I just took the thing back.
- with my own paid monthly i switched from 3 and they did give me an awesome deal after 6 years 'loyalty' (well stupidity after they forced a manual network upgrade on my blackberry that stopped me being able to manually roam on telstra so i could no longer make stable calls at home).
- once i switched they were still sending me crap in the post around switching offers and are still emailing me this stuff 2 months after i left them. on switching the reception was just the same as 3 so they gave me 2 months half price. then they upped that to another 6 months half price and then later someone told me that only 1 tower was left to update some 15km away from where i live in october so i bailed. their website still suggests a heap of work to be done in my area, but no one seems to be able to give any clear answer on what that may be and every store or phone person says something different.
so switched to virgin which is basically optarse without the price and crap marketing and the experience is so hugely better. vodafone's customer service was actually really really good for me (apart from a $700 final bill error) but they really seem bogged down in their archaic old service and billing systems, network that has improved but has miles and miles to go and seemingly no internal communication or clear idea where things are going. So really, they're all crap but at least i didn't have to switch to the arrogance of telstra. I was told the focus at voda is now on customer retention with delays to network improvements. They need to get a wiggle on
agreed, completely over the 1080 high screen meme. developers take note...
those of us who make entertainment/vfx content actually buy high end mobile workstations to make content on them on the go, not just watch it. if that's all we wanted to do, there's plenty of cheap options for much less. doubly crap is that resolution can't even fit all the UI side content in maya or even a full page word doc.
so i'm glad we've got over the shiny screen rubbish phase at the pro level (cept apple of course), now can we have 1920x1280 back please. sticking with my W500 on the move until then.
Hmmmm if they hadn't absorbed 3 into vodafail and started moves to dump the roaming deal with telstra it might be a different story... not to mention the awful marketing campaigns focusing on people with unaturally wide mouths. i will switch simply because the sites for the supposed new masts in my area are really just the same locations so the same poor reception across several frequencies. Optus is just as crap so alas, hate em anyway, telstra, who have deluded themselves to think it is cause people actually like them, it is going to have to be.
Is there any substance in this massive PR swamp? Nup, so it's business as usual at telstra then and the usual mutual lovein with the local incestuous ad industry.
Last year everyone hated us and we just figured it out so we decided to pretend to offer customer service and now let's thicken the narcissism and myopia by paying millions to tell the public they love us. We believe it, its easier that way. Simpler to love an empty cardboard box really.
Orwell cause its doubleplusgood
...isn't the point of cloud that you can do it anywhere globally? so like what's the point of paying the telstra domination tax for the usual massively overpriced local hosting solutions? i guess as usual they gotta offer something to all the stupid local businesses that are prepared to do business with them.
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Hate the BlackBerry Z10 and Passport? How about this dusty old flashback instead?
- Apple spent just ONE DOLLAR beefing up the latest iPad Air 2