2 posts • joined 18 Jul 2011
One example app
it always helps to read the fine print
To me, it sounds like they just got a bunch of improperly designed/installed DIMMs. From the paper:
Conclusion 1: We found the incidence of memory errors
and the range of error rates across different DIMMs to be
much higher than previously reported.
Conclusion 4: There is no evidence that newer genera-
tion DIMMs have worse error behavior.
Question is that do you want to pay Intel for ECC for these kind of errors or just make sure the servers DIMMs are with reasonable quality? I bet that reasonable quality DIMM is cheaper than paying tthe Intel ECC (i.e. so called server part) tax.
- Nokia: Read our Maps, Samsung – we're HERE for the Gear
- Ofcom will not probe lesbian lizard snog in new Dr Who series
- Kaspersky backpedals on 'done nothing wrong, nothing to fear' blather
- Too slow with that iPhone refresh, Apple: Android is GOBBLING up US mobile market
- Episode 9 BOFH: The current value of our IT ASSets? Minus eleventy-seven...