2 posts • joined 24 May 2011
Martin Sorrel, head of world's biggest ad agency WPP, (who spend HUGE sums of money with Google), said he doesn't think facebook is the kind of experience where ads will be welcome:
I don't use FB often but if a thread or conversation was "invaded" by some uncalled for ad selected on some pimply programmer's evaluation of what would be interesting to me or the other people in the "conversation", I think I would be annoyed.
FB is a gaming and dating platform. Period.
What a shame. I worked for DG for 9 glorious years from the mid 80s to the mid 90s. Fantastic time, great engineering but always up against it. Too small but with world beating ideas. The Maverick is a case in point. I was part of the AViiON launch at Moscone Center, San Francisco, 1989 as European product launch engineer. In the hall it was undoubtedly the fastest thing going, thrashing DEC, Sun, Apollo, IBM, all comers in fact. But DG wouldn't (or couldn't) pay the license fee Silicon Graphics wanted for SGL. Without that software, none of the big CAD vendors, (the main drivers for workstations then), would port to it. Therefore it died. Pity. It was really fast. The motherboard designer was damn near a genius - hadn't graduated from anywhere, 20 years old, and taking a year out to work on this project. Great times.
- Asteroid's SHOCK DINO MURDER SPREE just bad luck - boffins
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- FTC to mobile carriers: If you could stop text scammers being jerks that'd be just great