1 post • joined 15 Apr 2011
Avoiding any unused licensing fees
One approach that goes beyond user-based licensing is usage-based licensing, where the customer pays the vendor for the actual usage incurred. This can be done on a debiting approach, where the customer purchases an inventory of usage which is consumed as they work with the application, or metering, where the usage is recorded for later billing. A pure usage-based approach also eliminates any issues about how many licenses are run or whether they run on virtual systems or not, concerns on the customer's side about whether they purchased sufficient licenses and so on.
A case study of a metering implementation is at: http://agilis-sw.com/casestudy/Fair_Isaac.html
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor
- Why did it take antivirus giants YEARS to drill into super-scary Regin? Symantec responds...