2 posts • joined 31 Mar 2011
Not quite correct
It's not a tax on stuff brought on line.
Current Customs regulations waive the collection of Duty and GST on ALL Imports (other than Tobacco and Alcohol) with an FOB value of less than AUD1000.00 (this is a change that came into effect back in February 2005) irrespective of how they are purchased or how they arrive. What Gerry is calling for is for this regulation to be rolled back.
Duty is calculated on the FOB value of the goods whilst GST (flat rate of 10%) is calculated on the FOB value of the goods plus freight and insurance and any duty that is payable.
What a hypocrit
It was the likes of Gerry Harvey, eager to fill their pockets by importing cheap Japanese electronic products that essentially killed off the local electronics industry. Now that the boot is on the other foot he's calling foul. The hypocrisy is astounding.
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- DINOSAUR SLAYER asteroid strike was DEVILISHLY inconvenient timing
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- Russia: There is a SPACECRAFT full of LIZARDS in orbit above Earth and WE control it