20 posts • joined 25 Mar 2011
Not just an expert,
An *important* expert.
Well, I'm sold.
Just wait until Angleton finds out...
Re: "A Wren reenactor at Bletchley Park"
A GRAVEDUST system would prevent such evasion.
Re: The Americans must love asymmetric warfare
Having a single vulnerable exhaust port is, of course, mandatory on all
battle stations platforms armed with a big frikken laser (TM).
Mine's the one with the womp rat in the pocket,
the iRony, from Apple. Coming this Christmas to a store near you!
Re: Wanting the Daleks to win
Resches is not extinct yet, for better or for worse.
Re: Biologically compatible?
What would BLUE HADES think?
Re: An interesting view on this from Sci-Fi
Halting State, also by Charles Stross.
Re: Kids these days
No hand crank?
Re: Good luck to her if it's true... BUT...
As I read the article the period of infringement would be 8 years, not 2 - from the time the licence was terminated in 2005 to the present day (assuming they didn't stop earlier - I didn't see any mention of such).
$18 million is still a lot, though.
Re: Think of the^H^H^H our children
Surely Eadon would only be interested if it was open sores.
Does anyone know if Fedora 18 works out of the box on Hyper-V? I personally found that I had to install a custom kernel to get Fedora 17 working (specifically the mouse and network cards).
1. Are you seriously claiming that you cannot use vector instructions in C code? With the proper switches, gcc can output vector instructions, as can intel's icc and doubtless others.
2. gcc can to better than 'only optimises once' - I direct your attention to profile-guided optimisations. I will concede that an adaptive optimisation scheme would do better at optimising for runtime-variant behaviour.
Great image, but
"Most observers date our universe as being about 13.7 billion years old (although some disagree)...
According to NASA, the youngest galaxy in the XDF was formed a mere 450 million years after the Big Bang. Considering that our Earth is generally considered to be 4.54 billion years old, a 450 million-year-old galaxy is a mere babe in the woods."
If the youngest galaxy was formed 450 million years after the Big Bang, it is not 450 million years old, it is ~13.3 billion years old.
Re: Garden shed?
All these terrible puns - time to boldly groan as no man has groaned before.
Just change his name
Not that big of a deal.
Not that I trust Hollywood to do it right, but:
The Icarus Hunt (Timothy Zahn) - or perhaps Angelmass (by same).
+1 for Culture novels, Cryptonomicon, Peter F. Hamilton.
Re: It's all FUD during an election year
Not that I disagree about FUD and The Oz, but given that the current government was elected in 2010, the next national election isn't due until 2013. Have I miscounted, or are you presuming a double dissolution / other exceptional circumstances?
Re: Let's censor the truly destructive
Classification is more than censorship. I am all for classification, where people can check on a product and see that it contains gore / nipples / bullshit, before deciding if they want to watch it, or if their children* should see it.
And +1 for the MB category.
* 'children' not because of "won't somebody think of the children", but because adults should be making their own decisions.
- Does Apple's iOS 7 make you physically SICK? Try swallowing version 7.1
- Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge
- Pics Indestructible Death Stars blow up planets with glowing KILL RAY
- Hands on Satisfy my scroll: El Reg gets claws on Windows 8.1 spring update
- Video Snowden: You can't trust SPOOKS with your DATA