> Yes, I read the article and others... other drivers slowed and avoided the truck
Thanks for pointing that out. Instead of "biting the hand.." as usual, this time El Reg left out some minor details that look bad for this technology.
- This "divided highway" isn't a freeway, it has intersections.
- The truck made a left turn from the oncoming left turn lane (think right turn, Brits).
- He should have seen it and anticipated that the trucker might turn in front of him.
- Time was 3:40pm on May 7 so glare likely wasn't an issue.
- "White truck, white sky" is the lamest bullshit excuse...
P.S. some of the other articles say a lot of other autopilot users reported that complacency is a huge problem, and the autopilot occasionally does really dangerous things like switching off during a lane change. Personally I would feel safer with a texting drunk driver at the wheel than ANY 'autopilot' or self-driving car. AI is bunk.