4 posts • joined Thursday 20th January 2011 18:48 GMT
I know I'm the oddball.
I actually miss the formatting palette for the mac version prior to 2010. The Ribbon is ok but I miss the screen real-estate that the floating palette allowed me. Had to get a damn bigger screen!
Will someone at HP please grow up?
Yes, NetApp has something to do with it.
More than NetApp though... EMC knew it had a management problem, and not one that is easy to solve. You have three different platforms running three different O/S. Flare/Win Server, DART/Linux, and Enginuity/other. That's a lot to manage for any shop! By using Unisphere and modular components things are finally headed in the right direction.
I don't see Enginuity and FLARE merging anytime soon. Yes there on the same H/W, but the software is very different. Think about it this way... Enginuity is very lightweight, about 1/4 of FLARE. It also contains a static bin file. So when data is sent to the VMAX, the bin logic knows what to do with the data immediately. With FLARE, it has to go through layers of management. Speed through simplicity vs. Simplicity of management. It's a choice.
That's not to say they can't 'borrow' from each other. In fact they have! (Access Logix comes to mind) However, the two will remain discrete and separate.
- World's OLDEST human DNA found in leg bone – but that's not the only boning going on...
- Lightning strikes USB bosses: Next-gen jacks will be REVERSIBLE
- Pics Brit inventors' GRAVITY POWERED LIGHT ships out after just 1 year
- Microsoft teams up with Feds, Europol in ZeroAccess botnet zombie hunt
- Storagebod Oh no, RBS has gone titsup again... but is it JUST BAD LUCK?