4 posts • joined 6 Jan 2011
Wasn't the old phrase for these technologies "Shock Treatment"?
I was taken by the cheerful description of the procedures along with the new euphemisms. So now the process is called Deep Brain Stimulation when used in the classic manner, and repetitive Transcranial magnetic stimulation in the kinder, gentler form. By limiting the administration to the right side of the brain, "patients" no longer exhibit speech anomalies - only the seat of our dreams is affected. And new and improved drugs that prevent us from remembering means we feel no discomfort. Excuse me if I still do not see a lot of difference between the modern practice and the technique developed by Cerletti when he observed pigs being electrocuted and apparently decided he would really like to try that out on people. It all sounds very Frankenstein to me. It is quite cost effective however.
IBM had two compatibility-mode utilities to make and restore an image of a floppy. They run in DOS, OS/2, and last time I checked Windows. They were loaddskf.exe and savedskf.exe.
Wall Street considers the pump and dump province to be their exclusive turf. That is why caveat emptor does not apply here.
The earliest example I know of was on a token ring. The manufacturer was named Apollo and the OS was Aegis. They had a following during the 1980s.
- iPad? More like iFAD: Now we know why Apple ran off to IBM
- Apple orders huge MOUNTAIN of 80 MILLION 'Air' iPhone 6s
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're building ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Analysis Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – on PCs, slabs and mobes