Why we keep 'falling for it'
Developers keep 'falling for it' because
1. A service or API gets launched in a blaze of publicity
2. The senior director who thinks they know all there is to know about technology reads about it
3. They insist that it is built into the product
4. The developers present all the reasons why this is a very bad idea
5. The senior director insists it is built into the produce
6. The developers get on with it
7. The senior director boasts to the other directors that yet again they're ahead of the technological curve.
8. Three years pass and the API is pulled
9. The senior director blames the developers for wasting company resources.
10. the developers produce the email trail.
11. The senior director shuts up about it.
12. Go to 1.