2 posts • joined 17 Nov 2010
The problem is testing, not coding
A static code analyzer would have found this problem easily. The real problem is TESTING, not coding. Commercial vendors can afford high quality software testing tools. Open source developers usually don't have these resources, so they're reduced to error-prone manual code review. Good software ain't cheap. Open source software is worth every penny you pay for it.
Tilera's architecture isn't MIPS-based
Just a minor correction. Tilera's 64-core system-on-chip design isn't based on the MIPS architecture, it's their own. It has a VLIW 3-pipeline instruction set with DSP-like extensions. It comes with a gcc-based toolchain, and a port of SMP Linux supported by kernel 2.6.36.
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Review Pixel mania: Apple 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina display
- NASA: Spacecraft crash site FOUND ON MOON RIM
- Hate the BlackBerry Z10 and Passport? How about this dusty old flashback instead?
- Google's Mr Roboto Andy Rubin bids sayonara to Chocolate Factory