3 posts • joined 3 Nov 2010
Don't Miss the Big Picture: You don't *have* to stay with Oracle.
Thanks for the article Timothy. I thought it'd be helpful, after reading the posts, to bring a little clarity from EnterpriseDB's perspective. I appreciate you indulging me for a minute.
First and foremost, EnterpriseDB is the enterprise PostgreSQL company. Our business today is far broader than Oracle compatibility. Many of our customers are long-time PostgreSQL users who are expanding their PostgreSQL footprint with our help and support. While that often comes at the expense of Oracle, the focus is on expansion of use more than Oracle replacements or migrations.
With that said, we continue to grow our business very successfully with Oracle migrations. Our Oracle compatibility technology, which just entered its 7th generation with the launch of Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.0 this month, is but one of many important features in the database that make us a viable alternative to expensive proprietary RDBMSs. And, because Postgres Plus Advanced Server is built on PostgreSQL, we can provide this enterprise-class database for about one-fifth the cost of other proprietary databases.
Of course we don't have compatibility for every Oracle feature--that's unrealistic. But remember, we're not a 'rip-and-replace' for Oracle. Use us where Oracle isn't *needed* and spend all of that saved money on something that helps your business succeed. We are a solution that gives the customer a considered, predictable and safe migration path from Oracle to Postgres Plus Advanced Server, and these are the steps we take:
- Identify the best migration candidates. Our Oracle Migration Assessment is a tool that we use to identify the best candidate applications for migration. The best candidates are typically 'home-grown' applications, applications using Java or C (Pro*C or OCI) or ODBC. Once we analyze the application, we score it (1-10, with 10 being the easiest to migrate), and create a comprehensive report for the customer that explains what our next steps will be.
- Create a plan and begin migration. Our Oracle Migration Factory is where we can do the application migration remotely for our customers. We scope each engagement based on the number of databases we migrate and what their scores were in the Oracle Migration Assessment.
- Repeat. Just like we saw with Unix to Linux migration over the last decade, it's a process that customers will get comfortable with, and as their comfort grows they will migrate more.
And finally, it's not just about having Oracle compatibility. It's giving the customer a real path to go from point A to point B. We provide them that path, and now we are proud to be partnering with HP to provide that path to HP's customers. Finally, there are alternatives, and we are enthusiastic about our future--whatever it holds.
EnterpriseDB's PostgreSQL Support
Yet another reason to move to PostgreSQL. With EnterpriseDB able to provide worldwide support and services, oh, and by the way, Oracle compatibility, now is the time to move.
- Pic Mars rover 2020: Oxygen generation and 6 more amazing experiments
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: US FEDS can dig into foreign servers
- Boffins spot weirder quantum capers as neutrons take the high road, spin takes the low
- Plug and PREY: Hackers reprogram USB drives to silently infect PCs
- Review Fiat Panda Cross: 'Interesting-looking' Multipla spawn hits UK