1 post • joined 4 Aug 2010
Panasas File System
Good article on parallel file systems but I have to note an exception to one of the statements in your article:
“About half of the computers in the Top 500 rankings use Lustre, and the only practical alternative for big parallel clusters is IBM's Global Parallel File System, which is proprietary and not particularly cheap.”
Panasas is a highly successful alternative to Lustre with over 250 HPC parallel cluster implementations including at Los Alamos National Laboratories where Panasas is part of the Roadrunner system (#3 on the Top 500 list) as well as their new CIELO supercomputer system. I am admittedly biased towards Panasas (full disclosure – I am the new Chief Marketing Officer for the company), but with the recent concerns about Lustre’s future as a true open source system given Oracle’s statements of direction, Panasas offers a very attractive alternative in terms of performance, price and manageability.
I look forward to future dialog
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- Vid Google opens Inbox – email for people too stupid to use email
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Pic Forget the $2499 5K iMac – today we reveal Apple's most expensive computer to date
- Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew? How long? Anyone ... Hello ...