Project Ara for Laptops
Five days ago The Reg reported that Google is postponing its limited launch of Project Ara - a modular component system for mobile phones. In response to that story, I osted a comment about expanding the Ara concept to laptop/tablet sized components:
As a modular systems for just phones, it may prove to be a bit niche- many users might find that their needs are more simply met by owning a selection of traditional handsets and selecting one for twon and another for the woods.
However, if this modular system is extended to tablet screens, keyboards and more, the possibilities become more interesting. A user could create any of the following:
- 5" clamshell with a Psion 5 - style keyboard...
- ...or candy-bar with Blackberry-style keyboard if that's your thing.
- 12" tablet with pen digister and full size SD-Card slot for working with discreet cameras
- 7" e-ink configuration, with light-weight battery for comfortable reading
- physical controllers for games
- good quality camera modules, akin to Sony's QX-100
- desk-bound workstation
- High-end audio interfaces / microphones, for musicians and journalists