3 posts • joined 23 Jun 2010
Re: RCJ misses the point, again.
"The "C" is redundant."
And yet after twenty-nine years I'm still using it to write code for everything from PIC micros to multi-core servers. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Seriously, I just get depressed when I hear the political/business high-ups banging on about school education's purpose being to equip children for work. School is supposed to equip children for LIFE, not just work. As has been mentioned by others, school should be providing basic life skills, exposure to the various options for adult employment & most importantly the ability to reason & learn for oneself. I am especially sick of the likes of the CBI who just want the taxpayer to fund the staff training they used to pay for out of company funds so as to make even more profits. (Along with "Don't tax our profits. Oh, but subsidise our loses, of course.")
* ageing leftie exits stage left, rant, rant, mutter, mutter *
Ah yes. All too recognizable.
I've got some ways of handling the problem.
1. My fiancée bought me a T-shirt that has the simple message "NO, I WILL NOT FIX YOUR COMPUTER FOR YOU' printed in large type on the front & back. I make sure I wear it to all events where I'm likely to meet friends of friends or other strangers who might assume I've nothing better to do with my free time.
2. As ribosome hinted, answer "Certainly, but my accountant insists I tell you that my rate is £100 per hour plus expenses."
3. Memorise the phone number for PC World or some similar outfit and say "Sure, call this number to arrange a time."
We shouldn't be constructing DB queries by concatenating parameter strings onto constant strings containing SQL statements. The SQL query should be preprepared with parameter placeholders and then have the variables containing the data from the user bound to it. This not only does away with the risk of the sanitization not being thorough enough but is also generally quicker.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Updated + vids WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- Massive new AIRSHIP to enter commercial service at British dirigible base