2 posts • joined 22 Mar 2010
Thanks for being back some great memories Reg. Now I can't get IDKFA or IDCLIP out of my head...Might have a couple of odd variable names in todays code :)
Get up to dual core
We've replaced nearly all our single core and HT CPUs over 2 years to keep boot time and responsivness at reasonable level once XP is SP3'd and apps like Office 2007 & eTrust AV are running. Nothing lower than a dual core (AMD or Intel) with 2GB goes into the business now. Generally it's a HP 3010/3015 downgraded to XP but we have a couple of workstations for developers.
We'll run Windows 7 once SP1 has settled in, though we've got 3 IT folk testing/playing (1 being me). We have 2 Vista installs (also in IT) and they are running fine, contrary to what people might think. No more CRTs left most are17" LCD with a couple of older 15" models.
Laptops are a pain. Currently favouring Toshibas (<£400 nett) but they are most Definitely not shiny, so user's think we're being tight...I suppose we are! but at least they are reliable unlike a bad crop of £600 HP units we got.
- Tricked by satire? Get all your news from Facebook? You're in luck, dummy
- Feature TV transport tech, part 1: From server to sofa at the touch of a button
- Google straps on Jetpac: An app to find hipsters, women in foreign cities
- Updated Microsoft Azure goes TITSUP (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance)
- The Return of BSOD: Does ANYONE trust Microsoft patches?