7 posts • joined 16 Feb 2010
Between this, launching Spotify, not advertising in the NOTW and being the only ISP to give anywhere near their advertised speed, they are my favourite company right now.
These figures seem made up. They are not accurate. The PS3 has not outsold the 360 for a start.
More raw power?
The PS3 most certainly does not have more raw power. The 360 bests in in almost every cross platform game ever made.
Sky is the limit
The big problem with implementing this in the UK is Sky. They have always bought exclusive rights to subscription on demand movies, even though for years they had no technology to deliver this.
This would be a big driver for this kind of thing which is why whever you hear about it mentioned in the US it's Netflix.
Chicken or the Egg?
Firstly, I would love to see how they are tracking that. Seems impossible to me to get an accurate figure. Maybe from Apple as they reveal it. But other firms don't.
Secondly, this discussion is taking place on the UK's foremost IT Website, within an article about a new app being released for the iphone. If most apps are only released on the iphone and tiny silly little apps are reported on major IT sites as news, i'm thinking the app store has a very slight advantage.
Thirdly if you want to include the ipod touch, lets get the DS in there, where is the DS app?
Fourthly a lot of these apps are only needed because the iphone doesn't have flash or Java.
Last of all, the Ovi Store recently moved 3m copies of Ovi Maps in 26 days. If you give people what they want, they will download the app. People can't download what isn't there. Even if it was, they wouldn't know unless a balanced stance is taken by the media.
The nail on the head
Here we have the vocal minority proving my point and also getting some facts mixed up.
1. The iPhone does not have a large market share, not even among smartphones.
2. 1 Symbian app could be used on every Symbian phone released since the iphone.
3. The Ovi store is a reliable distribution method, since its symbian though you could just download it from the freeview website, or email it, there are no restrictions.
4. Why is there always complaints when something only works on the massively dominant Windows O/S? Or the dominant IE browser?
How nice for the tiny, minuscule percentage of people in the UK that have an iPhone. A headline grabbing iPhone app, just like the Sky one, the various Government ones, Royal Mail etc etc.
How about catering to the majority instead, Symbian has almost complete domination of the Smartphone market, where is the app for that? Even better how a bout a Java app that near enough every phone can use?
I suppose it's much easier to get headlines and parliamentary support if it's the other way around, instead of gushing praise and no mention of the issue anywhere.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Updated + vids WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- Massive new AIRSHIP to enter commercial service at British dirigible base