Feeds

* Posts by vic 4

462 posts • joined 22 Jan 2010

Page:

This is out of hand now: Apple attempts to trademark the LEAF

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: @David Webb 11:27

Think he was talking about the apple logo is without a leaf

0
0

Report: Apple, Google, Microsoft join forces to buy Kodak patents

vic 4
Bronze badge

So come on Genius, without patents

What you said is right. There are a lot of valid patents that have been correctly issued.

What we are seeing are loads or ridiculous patents been awarded for the 'patently' obvious. These patents are then being used to stifle innovation. It's not like the drug companies are patenting rounded corners on their tablets.

However, some people are getting carried away with the recent patent backlash and instead of directing their arguments to the patent trolls they are making general remarks, which in context of patents in general are just nonsense.

0
0

Android users: More of them than fanbois, but they don't use the web

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: Wrong, Android sets it to Chrome on Linux.

Android does, or at least the browsers do. However we were talking about changing the browser agent to pretend to be a desktop browser, many "default" desktop settings you can choose from pretend to be windows desktops.

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: Safari is first choice as it seems the pleasantest to use and generally most capable.

Not criticizing on safari or your choice. But remember the days when you had to use IE to view many sites, simply because they put in loads of effort into making to work with complete utter crap markup (usually created with frontpage).

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: For me the reason is simple

> think a lot is down to the browser

Yep, give me Dolphin over safari any day.

But a lot to do with it is down to the web site, which fair enough is irrelevant from a users point of view. Many web sites either just let android browsers use the standard web site view, and some send you to some ios look and feel site which looks so out of place,

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: that many people left it on desktop

That assumes you set it to a linux desktop agent. Default "desktop" agents usually pretend to be windows, even nowadays there are websites that don't like linux.

1
0
vic 4
Bronze badge
Trollface

Anroid makes less http requests maybe

Google search vs siri is better so don't need to visit as many sites looking for stuff.

Plus you can get ad blocking software for android so less traffic from ads and scripts

1
0
vic 4
Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: vast majority

Nope, just checked, I never said the word vast. I said "fair" which to me implies a reasonable amount to be considered but nowhere near the majority. Vast to me suggests a hugely significant number.

> sounds desperate to justify it

Nope again, just trying to preempt question on why people would want to do this.

1
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Browser agents

Most browsers on android (android users have a choice) allow you to change the browser agent quite easily so there will be a fair amount of android devices being counted under the wrong device. By default mine announces itself as firefox on windows and for some sites it pretends to be an iphone. Why? Because there a plenty of naff web sites that either steer you to half arsed mobile attempts and some only recognize ios as worthy of steering to their mobile view.

17
2

Apple sticks finger in dyke, cuts off Dutch flood of Galaxy S, SII, Ace

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: people actually support Samsung

I assume many people on here "support" Samsung due to the ridiculousness of the patents they are being sued over, not the fact that it is Samsung or that they make android phones.

11
0

Apple granted patent for microphone silhouette

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: Oooh

No but the link posted by an AC above does (below). Basically it looks like they taken the two icons and merged them to get a "Unique" one. If we really need to have these type of patents then the real test should be to show a few random people pulled off the streets the icons for a few seconds, wait 5 mins and see if they can identify the apple one.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_14973511_retro-microphone-icon-microphone-icon-classic-microphone-symbol.html

0
0

Exec responsible for Apple iOS map fiasco walks the plank

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: 1700 iPad minis

Thats a lot more than the apple store on black friday mentioned elsewhere.

0
0

Amazon's secret UK sales figures revealed by Parliamentary probe

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: Mail order tax ?

We already pay VAT, now you want people to pay extra when it's delivered?

3
0

Google plans touchscreen Chromebook for 2013 - report

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: HERE IS NO MONEY ON ANDROID

You'd have thought google would have noticed that. Or maybe you are just wrong.

> the world does not want an always-on, web-browser-only cheap netbook he world wants smartphones and tables

What do you see the difference to be here? I see a slightly different form factor, and not a unique one, it's a tablet with a keyboard. I take it you have been on the web recently, it's not just documents in plain html. As for native applications you have those on chrome.

1
0

Fanboi droves use iPads to buy more iPads on Black Friday

vic 4
Bronze badge

Who'd have thought it?

Apple users buy apple products!

0
0

Mall lurk man: Apple smashes Microsoft in Black Friday fondle wars

vic 4
Bronze badge

11 ipads per hour?

17/18 sales per hour? Doesn't seem to good to me, especially on such a big shopping day. I know these stores are also a chance for people to come in and physically see the things and bask in the Apple lifestyle. But 11 ipads an hour!

2
0

Datawind insists $42 tab isn't Chinese

vic 4
Bronze badge

the same price it is flogging them

Even if that were true, for the first batch or the whole run then that would be a good deal. The same price but none of the headaches and overheads!

0
0

Microsoft applies for patent for 'Google Goggles'-type AR specs

vic 4
Bronze badge
Unhappy

Aside from the "live event"

As far as today's patents go that actually counts as innovation

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: How can the consumer possibly benefit from such a war

If Apple, Google and MS focused their battles on trying to out do each other in their products rather than the courtroom the consumer would be a huge winner. The technological world would be much better off if all that cash and effort was spent on research rather than lawyers, and of course stop stifling newer/small companies with the fear of suing them over the most trivial "innovations" that anyone who used a computer could think of.

0
0

Samsung Google Nexus 10 tablet review

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: you just drag and drop from windows into itunes,

And if you have a machine without windows or osx?

> as their results are clearly skewed!

Or maybe people on here do not reflect your average consumer?

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: A high resolution display is Apple's idea

Wouldn't be surprised if apple tried to lay claim to that. They tried to claim the trend of developing thinner devices is part of what people only expect of Apple when it was mentioned in a UK court the a samsung device was thinner than an ipad.

13
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: Why the downvotes?

absolutely true of "most people"

And your basis of that fact is?

8
1

Apple versus Samsung: everything infringes everything

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: only laptop that meets my requirements

Presumably one of those requirement was it runs OSX? Otherwise Apple was not your only choice.

2
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: Android is a fragmented / disjointed 'mess' compared

Really? Unless someone is targeting a specific extra feature provided by one manufacturer the only difference from a developers point of view is the OS version and screen resolution. You now have those same issues on iOS.

Even on apple devices you can't rely on everyone having the latest and greatest OS release. Many people don't update for ages and some even use older devices that Apple don't provide updates for, yep despite what people say older apple devices don't receive updates just like devices from android makers (true apple do tend to give longer support but for android you can go elsewhere once that happens).

One of the reasons I believe S. Jobs didn't want different size ipads as that would rely on developers to handle that in their code, this is something ios developers have not worried about until recently, android developers have been dealing with it since day one.

4
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: diverted so many to other suppliers

But not CPUs, batteries, screens etc yes, but not cpus. Unless the previous arrangement was based on total volumes of everything they bought.

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: only a troll would deny that the iPad is the full fat tablet to own

You got the wrong icon I think. There are better spec tablets out there than ipads you know

> what ever reason but the iPad is widely regarded (and rightly so) as the best tablet on the market.

That reason is marketing.

5
0

Man strives to shatter Call of Duty world record

vic 4
Bronze badge

Free time

Some people have too much of it.

0
0

Apple's profits fetish could spell its DOOM

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: 30 million selling S3 end.

And there are more android phone manufacturers than Samsung and other android phones with better specs than the latest iphones (ignoring screen resolution) than the galaxy 3, so if one high end phone has half the market share what about the rest. What about the ones better than the more recent older iphones?

1
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: android market which is at the cheap end

Why do people always claim android is cheap, Android is at both ends, not just the cheap end. Some of the high end ones are better specs and higher prices to go with them than apple devices.

it is true however that many people don't buy apps for android, simply because a lot of people don't care as long as it does what they want out of the box or even realise they can do it.

3
1

4chan founder Moot threatens site for using his handle

vic 4
Bronze badge

name MOOT has become firmly associated with Mr. Poole and 4chan

No it hasn't, never heard of My Poole or 4chan. Anytime I hear the word I assume someone is referring to the word in the English language.

3
0

HTC: $8 per phone for Apple patents? We're not CRAZY!

vic 4
Bronze badge

RE: Samsung should just pay up

Perfect way to end all the troubles. Just give in to extortion and be done with it. Then pay up again next month and the month after that ...

13
1
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: To the victor goes the license

Or he is choosing his words so as not to affect the shareprice.

1
1

John McAfee blogs for help, offers $25K reward for neighbour's killer

vic 4
Bronze badge

writing a graphic novel about the anti-virus pioneer

That will be a good read then. Unless those dogs the police dug up are zombie dogs.

1
0

Apple said to have let the name of the next OS X cat out of the bag

vic 4
Bronze badge

RE: Also Cougar

Probably,

http://www.macrumors.com/2003/07/24/apple-trademarks-lynx-cougar-leopard-tiger-and-more/

0
0

Samsung turns screws on Apple, hikes A6 processor price 20%

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: average Joe Public

> So if you are not someone who feels the need to change phones every

They aren't but now have android phones. Turned out they couldn't use their phones to do everything they wanted. If our entire family lived and breathed apple they could probably make do but they don't and even then they would still be doing just that, making do.

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: average Joe Public

The average Joe Public does not really care if their handset is Android or anything really, as long as it does what they what or think they want and costs what they think is the right price. My parents a couple of years ago bought iphones, they where in the shop looking for smart phones and faced with a load of phones all at more or less the same cost a month so went with apple as they'd heard of it.

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: the start up then retooling costs every few years are horrendous

Last time I looked it up apple had around $100 billion in cash reserves. The real issue is if they think it is worth it and whether they think they can do it. Probably not in both cases, unless they can find something else to do with a FAB other than churn out their processors and attract and keep the engineers to keep it up and running.

2
0

Vodafone will rent you an iPhone 5 for 69p* a day

vic 4
Bronze badge

2GB?

For how much! I've got a one plan from three including (really) unlimited data usage for well over half that price (no phone, I get HTC ones for free ;-) but my wife has the same usage plan with a Galaxy S III (doesn't like htc!) for £28 a month and that was a few weeks after it came out.

People really need to shop around. Unless you are apple/micorsoft and think you can dictate prices or sue you can get a better price if you look around on that there internet (or could if you didn't have a capped data allowance). True, my wifes contract is for 24 years but that works out at the same price as a years contract with this. Ok, for some pople may three ma be no good, but their coverage in some areas is actually better tahn others nowadays.

0
1

ViewSonic VSD220 22in Android mega tablet

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: Family kiosk

If you just want to access the internet/watch movies and stuff do you really need a device with a touch screen? Try looking at the various android "dongles" you can get, just attach an hdmi cable and use a remote. I can recommend the one from sumvsion, nano slim+ or something.

0
0

English Defence League website 'defaced, pwned' by hacktivists

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: RE: didn't have a clue why

Don't think I mentioned football hooligans being racists.

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

RE: didn't have a clue why

Or possibly don't really have a care? Essentially the core of "members" are football hooligans, particularly those who turn up for most protests. I really doubt that many members care if they end up fighting someone because they are a Muslim or support a different football team.

Unfortunately, there are idiots on both sides, the EDL were after all formed in response a number of protests that struck a lot of people as very inappropriate. There is unfortunately a seeming plentiful supply of people willing to jump on a reason as an excuse for causing trouble.

1
0

Microsoft Surface Touch keyboards self-destruct – and more

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: "I cannot afford a device that ships all my client data"

Oops, not finished typing.

Or you enable a sync between your address book to a service like Google's.

1
0
vic 4
Bronze badge
Thumb Down

"I cannot afford a device that ships all my client data"

And what security hole do you think is going to do that? Only thing I can think of is that you install some software you don't trust and click ok when told it requires access to your contacts.

1
0

Apple tries to add Galaxy Note, Jelly Bean to patent slapfest

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: Ability to come out with something better than there's

They tried that in the UK case, saying that fact that samsungs devices were thinner than apples was copying as their (apples) new devices follow a a trade dress progression of getting thinner!

0
0
vic 4
Bronze badge
Stop

Re: Pathetic..

Seriously, does say a 10.1 tab look like ipad? If you look beyond the unavoidable similarities there is nothing left in the trade dress patents. Even you and the court agree rounded corners is irrelevant. Is the fact samsungs devices have a bevel around the glass you are concerned about? What kind of arrangement of icons would you use if you developed a UI? I'd have used and still would, a grid arrangement. Course, the real killer for samsung is they have the word "Samsung" right smack where apple's "home" button is.

Trade dress, my arse is all I can say. They are trying anything to stem competition. Don't forget many of these have been thrown out of other courtrooms.

Do you actually know what the patents being address here are? If you do it makes me wonder what you mean when you say " who would bother to innovate" because even if you can believe apple invented these there is no way you can honestly say these are innovative.

16
1

Office for Android, Apple iOS: 'REALLY REAL this time' - report

vic 4
Bronze badge

2 words

Why bother? Seriously, there are a shed load of document viewers and editors. Concentrate your efforts on elsewhere!

1
0
vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: requiring a Google/Gmail account on Android

You don't. That is only required if you want to use google services like play store or adress book sync with you gmail account. True, not much mileage without one though.

2
0

'iPhone 5 is so easily scratched we just can't get them out the door'

vic 4
Bronze badge

Re: a marketing ploy

Hardly good marketing is it? If the factory that makes them can';t help but scratch them whats the average punter going to think? True teh scratches may just be on the inside and only affect the manufacturing

rocess but that does not come across in the article.

2
0

Virgin launches TV Anywhere streaming

vic 4
Bronze badge
Unhappy

re: Android in 2013

never mind android's market share. Virgin mobile pushes android phones! No apple devices available from them on a contract. Once again virgin are screwing their loyal customers.

1
0
vic 4
Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: talk to any other people

How could you do that? There'd be no facebook ;-)

0
0

Page: