1 post • joined 21 Jan 2010
SAMBA easier than UPNP
Nothing could possibly be simpler than setting up SMB (Samba) on a Windows pc.
1. Enable netBIOS over TCP/IP and allow it through your firewall.
2. Right-Click the drive(s) or folder(s) you want to share and choose simple file sharing to make those folders visible to others on the network.
3. Fire up your media player and browse/copy/stream any files you want from your pc, with no restrictions on file type/format etc.
Honestly it is that simple and SMB is always a better option than UPNP when it is supported. C'mon guys, are you really that technophobic or techno-illiterate?
- Updated Zucker punched: Google gobbles Facebook-wooed Titan Aerospace
- Elon Musk's LEAKY THRUSTER gas stalls Space Station supply run
- Windows 8.1, which you probably haven't upgraded to yet, ALREADY OBSOLETE
- FOUR DAYS: That's how long it took to crack Galaxy S5 fingerscanner
- Did a date calculation bug just cost hard-up Co-op Bank £110m?