1 post • joined 21 Jan 2010
SAMBA easier than UPNP
Nothing could possibly be simpler than setting up SMB (Samba) on a Windows pc.
1. Enable netBIOS over TCP/IP and allow it through your firewall.
2. Right-Click the drive(s) or folder(s) you want to share and choose simple file sharing to make those folders visible to others on the network.
3. Fire up your media player and browse/copy/stream any files you want from your pc, with no restrictions on file type/format etc.
Honestly it is that simple and SMB is always a better option than UPNP when it is supported. C'mon guys, are you really that technophobic or techno-illiterate?
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: Redmond must let feds into foreign servers