1 post • joined 21 Jan 2010
SAMBA easier than UPNP
Nothing could possibly be simpler than setting up SMB (Samba) on a Windows pc.
1. Enable netBIOS over TCP/IP and allow it through your firewall.
2. Right-Click the drive(s) or folder(s) you want to share and choose simple file sharing to make those folders visible to others on the network.
3. Fire up your media player and browse/copy/stream any files you want from your pc, with no restrictions on file type/format etc.
Honestly it is that simple and SMB is always a better option than UPNP when it is supported. C'mon guys, are you really that technophobic or techno-illiterate?
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids