4 posts • joined 26 May 2007
The old saying is true...
God looks out for drunks and fools
Don't let femto fall to the marketing scum!
For the record - one femtometer is roughly half the width of a proton. Femto is a prefix meaning 10^-15. Therefore, a femtocell would have to cover one 10^-15th the width of a regular cell. GSM can reach (optimistically) 50 km from the base station, so we have (5m*10^4) * (10^-15) = 5m*10^-11 = The width of the inner electron cloud of a carbon atom. I can't imagine a cell zone of this region being useful, but I certainly give props to the engineers who can design something this small! Please call them, say, millicells or something more accurate - and stop peeving my pet.
Competing with MySpace
The real reason MySpace filed suit is that they don't like competition: if anyone gets to spam MySpace members, it had damn well better be MySpace.
There's your scientist more than 5% of the American public can name. But even Hawking shouldn't lay claim to being a modern Newton.
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor