* Posts by dogged

4992 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

The ONE WEIRD TRICK which could END OBESITY

dogged

Re: Shrinkflation - Peperami

Even Wagon Wheels are as nothing compared to the sad decline of the Curly Wurly.

And Mars Bars and Marathons (fuck you and your Snickers) get smaller every year while they release a more expensive one the same size as the old one. Now they've got to the stage where the supersize - ie, same as the old one - version is actually two of the new ones in one packet.

4
0
dogged

Re: Obesity is a reflection of societies illhealth

> Eating on the job

I can't see that being popular unless it's an extreme manifestation of "casual sex".

3
0

Microsoft throws crypto foes an untouchable elliptic curveball

dogged

Got any ose?

0
0
dogged

Re: Snakes

How many times are you going to post on this thread as AC, eadon?

6
1
dogged
Facepalm

Re: Lovely marketing

> We wanted secure, better WIN32 style APIs

Did you want those with your flying car and your Holodeck? Have you ever written code against Win32? Do you have any idea what you're asking for?

8
0
dogged

Re: Lovely marketing

They have fixed it. The problem is that the fixed bit - WinRT compiled applications - got howls of "ARGH FISHER PRICE WHERE IS MY START BUTTON I AM GOING TO CRY THE SKY HAS FALLEN DOOM DOOM DOOM M$ ARE EVIL" from pretty much all of you sad sacks.

7
13

Vanished global warming may not return – UK Met Office

dogged

Re: Just asking....

Given the context of this article, it's interesting that when Suzanne Moore ran for parliament, she did so against a black woman.

0
0
dogged

Re: Just asking....

> Ah, I see you are confusing columnists with news.

I said "running a piece", which is accurate. And if you think editorial control doesn't extend to columnists, I think you missed a memo.

1
0
dogged

Re: Just asking....

A link, you say? And Elmer Phud denies the existence at all?

Not a problem, chaps. Enjoy.

3
0
dogged

Re: Proposal

Sorry kirovs, I'm just sore because in the 90s this guy called Hicks sold me some prime beachfront on Arizona Bay so I'm all about the sinking of current coastal areas.

BRING ON THE BIG ONE!

3
0
dogged

Re: Proposal

Surely everyone (except those who enjoy the daily "Florida Man" tabloid stories) actively wants Florida to sink?

4
0
dogged

Re: Unsurpringly...

Is that the same Guardian that's running a piece claiming the election of Jeremy Corbyn is sexist because he's a man and neither of the two women won it instead?

Just asking.

28
4

Don't bother buying computers for schools, says OECD report

dogged

Derren Brown advocates the teaching of mnemonics as a classroom skill (and having done his audiobook on the subject, I'm inclined to agree).

A trained memory is an incredibly useful tool. I think those above advocating that we forget our own hardware are misguided

4
0

Reviewed: Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Until Dawn, Hearthstone expansion and more

dogged

it's a Core i5 with shitty Intel gfx, but we'll see if it'll fly.

Thanks guys.

0
0
dogged

What are the system requirements for Shadowrun?

I'm working away from home with only a laptop and no discrete GPU.

0
0

You want to DISRUPT my TECH? How about I DISRUPT your FACE?

dogged

Re: >the rate of change is fast and it is getting faster.

Still sounds better than SAP.

0
0

Jeremy Corbyn wins Labour leadership election

dogged
FAIL

Re: i for one, welcome... (actually I don't but that's by the by)

> Well you can be sure that they won't be getting any proper education! The last thing a socialist ever wants is an educated populace - it's too easy to see through their lies, obfuscations, and evasions if the voters are educated.

Which obviously explains why the American school system is so much better than, for example, the Swedish school system to the point where the Swedes import loads of Amaerican doctors and scientists....

Except meanwhile, back in reality...

5
0
dogged

Re: Goodbye Labour Party

> A sure sign the tories fully realise what a (literal) loser he is will be how they treat him.

Within an hour of his election, the Tories rushed out a pamphlet claiming he's a security threat who loves terrorists, wants to import a billion Afghans, will give all our nukes to Sinn Fein and rapes kittens.

So... either they don't or they're shitting themselves at having somebody at PMQs that Cameron can't just go "yeah, well you had it in your manifesto too and incidentally, Gordon Broon" to.

6
0

Plods waste millions keeping their arses covered and ears open

dogged

Re: Cost cutting solution

> Shirley it's Widow Twanky from Hotel Oscar?

Sun Hill Nick always used SO.

0
0
dogged

Re: Cost cutting solution

"Widow Twanky from Sierra Oscar, come in?"

3
0

Intel's 6th gen processors rock – but won't revive PC markets

dogged

"Weak Windows 10 apps"

I heard Windows 10 stole Tim Anderson's bike.

4
0

WinPhone community descends into CANNIBALISM and WOE

dogged

Only if you never used it.

0
2
dogged

Re: Angst

> Is this another one of those storm-in-a-forum things?

Yes. Windows Central is weird. It's about the only place (either virtual or real) where MS actually has fanboys. And just as every other type of fanboy, they're fucking idiots. Honestly, MS is better off being treated like a mildly annoying utility company like Scottish Water or nPower. Or like Tefal or Panasonic. You might use their stuff but you don't get all excited about it.

It's also not the first time AO has "reported" on stupidity in one MS-based forum as if it were an epidemic sweeping the entire tech world. In this case it's just some stupid kids whining about not being able to buy a new "flagship" phone as if they can't read Facebook or Twitter or watch porn on any of the existing phones. Or, god forbid, make a bloody phone call.

13
1

Half the Fanbois in your office are unpatched ATTACK VECTORS

dogged

Re: In other news

> At El Reg the glass is neither half full nor half empty; the glass is incorrectly specified. Probably by a user.

The important thing is that the glass is refillable. And it's your round.

1
0

Apple downgrades iPhone 6S with wimpy 1715mAh battery

dogged

Re: Yeah, I noticed The Register is in Apple Hate Mode

> iPhone 6S still has stunning battery life.

this is kind of off-topic but I wanted to share.

On Sunday night I fully charged and put Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview (ah, Microsoft and their catchy names!) on a Lumia 930 because I had heard bad things about the battery munching and wanted to see for myself.

I deliberately disabled Battery Saver, which would otherwise have started cutting down services and underclocking at 10% battery remaining. I did leave it running wifi, mobile data and bluetooth connections.

It finally croaked at 7:30pm on Wednesday.

Now granted, it was just sitting there picking up notifications, mail, Telegram messages, etc. Not looping video (I'll do that over the weekend) or running GPS (that comes this evening when I drive home for the weekend).

But I was still pretty surprised.

Anyway, you may now resume your scheduled tribal bashing or licking of Apple.

2
2

Apple's iPad Pro: We're making a Surface Pro WITH A STYLUS over Steve Jobs' DEAD BODY

dogged

Re: The new Nokia, running on empty

It's funny you say "new Nokia" because they seem to have "invented" the Lumia 2520

2
0

UK.gov finally unveils new parly spook-watching panel

dogged

> Although Defra policy has long since been contracted out to the NFU.

DEFRA is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the EU.

0
0
dogged

> What would you see as an appropriate method to deal with ISIS members fighting in Syria?

Forcible (if necessary) repatriation followed by a trial if any crimes had been committed. In the International Court if necessary given beheadings, etc.

0
0
dogged

There'd be riots, largely because of the lane closures on the M25.

6
0
dogged

In recent days, Cameron has come under attack from critics who have questioned Whitehall's decision to kill two British citizens fighting for terrorist group ISIS in Syria. The men were targeted in an RAF drone strike last month, the PM told MPs on Monday.

I note very few of the newspapers have noted that this was the deliberate pre-meditated murder of two British citizens by the RAF under orders from the Prime Minister. You can't call it a death sentence as there was no trial. They weren't killed in the process of committing a crime in the UK because they weren't in the UK. They were murdered. By their government. And people think this is a good thing.

That concerns me.

16
4

Roll up, roll up: Microsoft, those Irish emails and angry Feds

dogged

Re: RE: WBC

I too hate everything before coffee.

8
0
dogged

Written before coffee. The missing word is "frustrate".

10
2
dogged

This story must really some of our commentard friends.

However I try, I literally cannot think of an angle where MS refusing to break EU law can be seen as evil, incompetent, data-stealing, bloated or even not very nice.

Anyone who doesn't want them to win this one clearly has an agenda.

15
2

Well, what d'you know: Raising e-book prices doesn't raise sales

dogged

Re: Monopolies and scarce necessary resource markets are not free markets

One could also argue that addicts are undeterred by pricing and taxation - keep putting up the cigarette prices until smokers contribute five times more to the economy than they take out (even if you don't account for less pension costs and old-age services) and they will still buy fags because they have to.

And you can keep on raising the taxes (while claiming it's because you don't want them to smoke and pay you money) and suckers believe it. At the same time, of course, it's really important to ban e-cigarettes because they don't raise tax revenue and are therefore evil on the basis of no evidence.

7
0
dogged

I buy ebooks

I buy tech manuals and books about systems and languages and design patterns and low-level stuff as ebooks. I prefer to buy fiction and fun-reading as paper.

Why? Well, I have a Kindle. When I run into an issue I need a book-refresher on, the kindle carries hundreds of books full of knowledge and paper is heavy in that kind of quantity. Also, there's Amazon's "Kindle Reader" web app, which means my entire library is available at work.

Tech books become worthless pretty quickly - how much is a manual about (at random) .NET 3 worth these days? There's no point in handing on or reselling tech books. They're the ideal use case for ebooks.

And I have to say, I've been buying less of them since the prices rose. So I guess that correlates with the article.

3
0
dogged

Re: I am not an economist

I think technically Tim's saying that forms of entertainment are substitutable and the free ones will become more desirable as the expensive ones grow more expensive.

7
0
dogged

> Unless you're Apple. Or IBM. Or Oracle. Or Microsoft. Or the UK's train companies. Or the UK's utilities.

I think Apple's high prices are something of an anomaly so I won't go into those. With IBM you pay for support. With Oracle you're basically paying an idiot tax - you were dumb enough to take the sales rep's cocaine and hookers, now buy the product or your wife gets the pictures. Microsoft were originally far, far cheaper than any business alternative. In a lot of cases - SQL Server, Surface Hub etc - they still are. The UK's train companies are a series of government protected monopolies. You don't have a choice about those prices and the law prevents anyone from entering the market at a lower rate. Compare and contrast to the long-distance bus/coach carriers where prices seemingly fall by the hour.

I think you picked a whole bunch of really stupid examples.

21
0

BORN to HURL: Man's shoulders are head and shoulders above apes, gorillas, chimps etc

dogged

Re: Cricket vs. Baseball.

There's nothing obscure about LBW! You protect the wicket with your bat, not your leg. Doing so with your leg is automatic dismissal for being a dashed cheating bounder and cad.

22
0

Microsoft: Thanks, Google, we'll have your media codec for Edge

dogged

Re: "other open source formats, including OGG, Opus, and Vorbis"

> Any mention on whether FLAC support is likely (if it isn't there already; I'm not a Windows user so I don't follow such things)?

Windows 10 supports FLAC natively. It's also being phased in for W10 Mobile and XBox.

1
0

Laminate this: Inside Argos' ongoing online (r)evolution

dogged

Re: Not Yodels fault?

Yes you can.

You can blame them for a) failing to unionize and b) staying in such a shit job.

0
0
dogged

Re: Not Yodels fault?

Yodel put my laptop in a "safe place" - next door's bin. And left it open. And it rained.

Thanks guys.

The annoying part was that I'd stayed home to collect the delivery but apparently actually ringing a doorbell frightens their drivers. So they just dumped in it in the neighbour's bin.

3
0

Dell CEO: Very few will survive the PC bloodbath

dogged

Re: Zombie PC OEMs

I hadn't heard there any mobile thingies where profit is to be had unless you put iOS on them, which OEMs can't.

Even Samsung are losing money on Android.

1
0
dogged

Re: margin enhancing malware strategy

Oh, not this shit AGAIN.

Yep, they did it. Nope, they didn't quite understand what they were doing. They took money to make a low-margin product cheaper. As soon as they found out, they stopped. It was only ever on the cheapest nastiest shit they sell, never on the ex-IBM product lines. And no, I don't work for Lenovo but I do own a ThinkPad and it's basically the best laptop I've ever had.

This was a catastrophe for Lenovo. No sane board would have approved it with full knowledge. It cost them far more than they made. Think they're ever going to do it again? I think they're the absolute last company that'll risk being burned that way another time.

I also think Michael Dell is full of shit and Asus stand a far better chance of being one of the Big Three than Dell do. Although both are still better than HP, which should just roll over and die already.

2
6

Microsoft's 'successful' Nokia slurp kills off Lumia photo apps

dogged

Not you, Chemist. You a) know what you're talking about and b) don't evangelize.

1
0
dogged

On the other hand, if you think El Reg's commentariat are (in the main) ciomposed people claiming to be Penguinistas* then you've been paying attention.

*I wish El Reg would release stats similar to NetCounter or whoever they are showing which browser and OS combinations were used to hit their site. Because I will happily lay down real money that at least 80% of those self-proclaimed penguinistas are using Windows 8.n and have never owned a linux box in their lives. It's pretty easy to spot them if you've been using a linux distro since 1998 or before.

Oh, they might own (or rent) an Android phone but that's as far as it goes. The rest is just ego-wanking from bored office drones who think pretending to hate a popular thing makes them cool.

I think I hate tech-hipsters even more than I hate everything-hipsters.

2
8

Capita hoovers up 1 in every 5 pounds of outsourced UK.gov IT spending

dogged

Logo

I like the improved offering. I hope you're billing Crapita for the joss-sticks and whalesong tapes it consumed?

7
0

No boxy Volvo: Chilling in the S60 D3 Manual R-Design Lux Nav

dogged

Re: £37K?

> Good god, that's $56,000 American!

unless cars work like tech, in which case it's about $37,000 American.

9
1

Wangling my way into the 4K gaming club with a water-cooled whopper

dogged

The Witcher 3 was a classic example of this, with its astonishing clarity traded up against a slow but playable frame rate.

I've been playing the Witcher 3 on a 1440p GSYNC-capable monitor (Asus ROG Swift) and a GeForce 970 and although technically the framerate hovers around 45-55, it is incredibly smooth thanks to the GSYNC framerate matching. It looks as if it's more like the high 80s. Maybe full 4K gaming should wait until either GSYNC or FreeSync (the AMD version) is supported.

As for StarTech - never again. I bought one of their HDMI-DisplayPort active converters. It burned out in less than an hour.

1
1

Huge, absorbent iPad rumours recycled – and this time it's REAL. True

dogged

Re: OS X

> Unless of course MS totally alienate their x86-64 Windows users so much that all the Business application vendors port to OS X

because that wouldn't cost them a single penny!

Have you been drinking?

4
0

Forums