* Posts by dogged

4165 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Basic minimum income is a BRILLIANT idea. Small problem: it doesn't work as planned

dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: Inheritance conumdrum

> *except what they generously contribute as excise on booze and fags

Harsh. They also pay VAT on a lot of other things. They pay the same amount of VAT on clothes because they have to - try walking about without any clothes on and see how how much of a "non-essential luxury" that tax is levied on.

They pay VAT on women's sanitary products - rich women are unlikely to have more periods so that's just as regressive.

They pay VAT (twice!) and Green-based excise duty on fuel so that they can get to their shitty low-paid jobs and be sneered at by people who live closer and ride super-expensive tax-free bikes. They might also pay VAT on car parking in order to stay in their shitty low-paid jobs because they can't afford to live near where they work.

The system is rigged and you can sneer about booze and fags all you like but as long as the new lycra-clad middle classes keep on claiming their pensions and draining the NHS for thirty years past retirement, the problem is not the poor.

2
5
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Does it matter?

> If the cost to the taxpayer is reduced overall through the massive simplification of the system

But is it? This is what I've been asking various Greens of my acquaintance. They've costed their proposals at at about £265 billion and their proposals _require_ that you keep the state infrastructure for such things as housing benefit because £75/week in our current housing rent bubble is instant eviction.

Apparently (they tell me) the DWP costs 1.5 times the cost of JobSeeker's Allowance in maintenance/admin and this means scrapping it will release that money. But if we have 2 million unemployed then freeing up that money will only pay 5million. Then they talk about how much they'll raise by abolishing the tax-free allowance but even that's still subject to NI and will, naturally, cost a collection overhead. In any case, I never got straight answer as to where the money would come from.

The problem with the Greens is their insistence on Magic-based economics in which a deliberate permanent recession somehow raises more money and increases living standards. Sorry. I don't believe in it.

7
1

Linux 3.19 released for your computing pleasure

dogged
Silver badge
IT Angle

Needs an article by Gavin Clarke telling us that it's shit on the basis of, er, nothing.

2
0

Start stockpiling tinned beans and ammo: This malware will end civilisation

dogged
Silver badge
WTF?

> Heartbleed, which surfaced in April 2014, although easy to exploit, was only ever an information disclosure flaw.

There's nothing "only" about a flaw that exposes usernames and password in plaintext.

4
1

Ubuntu smartphone to go on sale: It'll be harder to get than a new iPhone

dogged
Silver badge

Credit where it's due

That was a pretty good article, Gavin.

3
0

GRUNTY CHIMPS 'blend in among locals' after moving to Scotland

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Maybe...

So they've swapped "er, excuse me? may I have some fruit, good sir?" for "see you, pal - gi'us that apple or ah'll put in the heid"?

10
0

You gotta keep a smart watch on the Swiss, Apple: Enter SWATCH

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Commoditisation

the single most compelling app for a watch is, er telling the time. There is literally nothing else that even comes close. I have a hard time believing that "developers will create compelling apps" that could possibly add so much value that that Swatch won't still be comparable and cheaper.

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Commoditisation

Join the queue behind my toddler.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Commoditisation

Forget Apple (in the smartwatch market). They're charging too much for what is essentially a remote control for your phone and needs to be charged just as much as the phone does*. Even those iPhone owners who only bought it for the bling aspect are unlikely to cough up for this without a much better use case.

Swatch do watches. "Everyman" watches. Low margin, bulk sale watches. Swatch are promising no recharging and, for a change, they can probably deliver. To take a flawed car analogy, this is a similar situation to Google announcing that a self-driving car that looks like an albino minion from Despicable Me will be along in a year's time and then nine months later VW saying they've got one that looks like a Golf and doesn't need servicing.

* far eastern market provisionally excepted. The ability to draw characters on screen might be huge over there. No way to tell yet.

8
3

'Privacy is DAMAGING to PROGRESS' says Irish big data whitepaper

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Wot?

How does a big list of saints days and martyrs make a case against privacy?

Or are you suggesting that it is no less relevant than the bullshit excuses they were paid to trot out?

6
0

Net neutrality: Someone WILL sue. So will the FCC's rules hold up?

dogged
Silver badge

US cable companies are fiercely opposed to being regulated

Yes, and criminals are fiercely opposed to being arrested. Your point?

21
2

Internet lobs $$$s at dev of crucial GPG tool after he runs short of cash

dogged
Silver badge

Re: How to donate

Donated.

Werner is a hero.

6
0

Big Data, empty bellies: How supermarkets tweak prices just for the sake of YOUR LOVE

dogged
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: What?

> You live in the city and you didn't convert your building's flat roof in to a food plot to help with the environment?

No, I live in a little village which is bad for broadband but great for my little boy learning about how food works and what lives and dies. Not as effective as the farmer's boy childhood I had but it lacks the poverty aspect so on balance it might be better.

I can't get skinny jeans past my calves and I do not have a beard or need glasses so I fail at "hipster".

(Upvoted for amusement value anyway)

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

The bag packing threw me to start with.

Then my missus explained it to me. You go to the till, put all your stuff on the conveyor, it gets run through, you put it straight back in the trolley. Once you've paid, you go to those big-ass window-sills they have and pack your stuff into bags there. Apparently it's to speed up the tills and it works.

As for the rest you can everything pretty much delivered which is handy with the whole wheelchair thing.

Veg - http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/

Milk/Dairy/Eggs - http://www.findmeamilkman.net/

Meat - http://www.meatpacks.co.uk/

Groceries - http://www.milkandmore.co.uk/home (but support your local milkman! just get groceries!)

I should note that I am not affiliated with any of these companies and don't even use any of their services - we used to get a veg box from Abel and Cole but decided to support the farm shop instead - and this is just stuff I found in 2 minutes' browsing. It may not all be great but anyone can do it.

Anyone can stop feeding the gaping maw of the supermarkets and enabling them to bankrupt their suppliers.

It's up to you.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

fuck 'em all. We've been avoiding the big supermarkets entirely.

Fresh produce - farm shop.

Fruit - street market

Meat - local butcher

Preserved meats, snacks, canned goods, cleaning products - Lidl

Nappies - Amazon.

To be honest I'm not keen on Amazon but they sell job-lots of nappies very cheaply and deliver for free.

10
1

Microsoft's Nadella: Congratulations on 12 months of not being Steve Ballmer

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Short version

Only when the author has form for using anti-MS articles ( and he never writes anything else) to openly plug Chrome.

Otherwise I'm happy to bash MS myself, especially on their cruel and unusual licensing.

2
3
dogged
Silver badge

Short version

"Everything Microsoft do sux lol. Can I have my money now please Larry?"

1
9

US anti-backdoor bill: If at first you're shot down in flames – try, try again

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI)

Yep. Quoth wikipedia -

Sensenbrenner introduced the USA PATRIOT Act to the House on October 23, 2001. Although the primary author was Assistant Attorney General of the United States Viet Dinh, Sensenbrenner has been recognized as "one of the architects of the Patriot Act"

So he's trying to undo some of the damage he did?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI)

wasn't he a co-sponsor of the USA PATRIOT act?

3
0

CHAINSAW HORROR advert earns GiffGaff a slap from regulator

dogged
Silver badge

@wikkity

Good argument, you've convinced me.

However, I would still maintain that this one is on YouTube, not GiffGaff.

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Poor child

I was actually thinking

Poor child - Facing a future with a daddy who can't be bothered to log out of an 18+ account when watching YouTube with his kid.

9
6

BT coughs £12.5 billion for EE as fourplay frolics pay off

dogged
Silver badge

Re: For those about to leave...

I thought there was going to be an O2/Three merger?

1
0
dogged
Silver badge
Holmes

BT is very keen on rolling out small cells to improve coverage in both homes and businesses

BT keen on charging you for calls twice? Surely not?

3
2

Satya Nadella, Year One: Has Microsoft's new CEO cut the mustard?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Dumb article

> PR, like most MS articles/moves lately.

Like the way all of Gavin Clarke's articles are PR by Google?

3
1
dogged
Silver badge

One quibble

On "Open Source .NET" you wrote -

> Chalk this one up to long-term strategizing from Microsoft's developer tools team.

which was a part of the Server and Tools division which in Ballmer's day was headed by, er, Satya Nadella....

Whether it was his idea we can't know and I find unlikely - the more likely suspect on this one is Scott Guthrie. But it would have been Nadella's call, just as it was Nadella's call on becoming CEO to, er, immediately promote Scott Guthrie.

15
1

'Tech' City hasn't got proper broadband and it's like BT doesn't CARE

dogged
Silver badge

> wholesale installation charge for our 1Gbps service falling by 46 per cent to only £54,000 per installation to cite just one example. Now please excuse us while we claim another government subsidy to extend our double-Olympic sized money pool.

Hey BT. Fixed that for you.

15
4

Behold: The touchy-feely future of Office on Windows 10 fondleslabs

dogged
Silver badge
Stop

> There are many more options, for iPad especially, because they can have bluetooth keyboards and keyboard/covers. These are also less restrictive, Surface keyboards must be connected in landscape while bluetooth allows portrait mode or disconnected use: eg tablet on aircraft table and keyboard on lap.

Because none of the Surfaces have Bluetooth or can connect to a wireless keyboard except for all of them.

2
0

Twin Adam Sandlers shake El Reg's movie unwatchablathon team

dogged
Silver badge

Re: RE: Uh..... no, I'm at work.

> In Redmond Wa. perhaps? ;-)

In Yate, north of Bristol, United Kingdom. I work for a very small precision engineering company and I think you just called me an MS shill, which I am not.

So how are things in the Chocolate Factory, anonymous coward?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

> Google "listen here cumslut" and all will be revealed.

Uh..... no, I'm at work.

God, I dread to think about the "suggested images" on that one.

6
0

Microsoft takes lid off .Net Common Language Runtime sauce

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Copying Java 15 years too late

oh yes, I forgot that MS are a branch of the NSA and that obviously all software released under the GPL is so virtuous and holy that the NSA cannot approach it without shrivelling up like a vampire in the sunlight, BEGONE IN THE NAMES OF LINUS, AND STALLMAN AND ESR I COMMAND YOU

Yeah. Totally.

i think we found another donkey.

of course, if it worries you, it's on GitHub using the MIT license (RTFA) so you can go look for yourself.

5
3
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Copying Java 15 years too late

I can see what you're getting at except that Java is a pile of buggy, insecure filth with ugly constructions and a "write once, fix everywhere" policy. .NET actually works. Of course, how well it'll work on linux and MacOSX and how much fixing needs doing is as yet unknown but seriously, it can't get much worse.

And Larry Ellison is not involved, which is a bonus.

9
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Why

Don't ruin his worldview like that. He needs to feel that he is a special freedom fighter, fighting for justice, remembering the evil evil wrong that evil evil Microsoft did (but not remembering anyone else's wrongs because that's not his thing). He thinks running a linux box and using gcc makes him an underground hero.

It's kind of endearing. Like donkeys.

8
9

Google boffins PROVE security warnings don't ... LOOK! A funny cat!

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I've seen and bypassed this message.

The former is correct. I dunno, is badge-rep (and functionality) switched off when you post AC?

Maybe try a non-anon post (in a different topic or one of the forums, natch) to test it.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I've seen and bypassed this message.

Hmm. Let me try that -

Test1 Test2 Test3

Maybe it's a badge-related thing? I literally copied your text into my post.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I've seen and bypassed this message.

By using the blockquote tag.

0
0

Spent the weekend watching Game of Thrones? You're a FAT LONELY SADDO

dogged
Silver badge

@jake - Re: Hey, ElReg

I missed your post, I guess it was disapproving or something, I dunno.

I think most honest parents would agree that toddlers are capable of being little shits for days at a time. Doesn't mean we don't love them. I love mine. I don't think his mother's cat loves him though.

2
1

Get internet access to those POOR country bumpkins, says UK.gov

dogged
Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Typical

9/10 troll, lost a point for failing to correctly copy boltar's spelling.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

> You can get tax credits if you're self employed. The reason they don't is because despite their protestations of poverty, as they're buying yet another new BMW on the orders of their accountant, is that they earn too much to qualify for them.

Okay, that was just being an arsehole and you know it.

Yes, you can get tax credits if you're self employed. However, in asset-based professions such as farming your income is averaged based on theoretical sales value of saleable assets - such as your cattle that you're feeding up for beef or the crop you've planted. Because you could sell them. Except that if you do sell them before they are ready or before the crop grows or before the milk-yield is calculated, you are now unemployed. So you don't.

That's also the reason that way back when there were student grants, I didn't get one. Theoretical worth.

I have never seen a tenant farmer with a BMW. Or even a Land Rover that was less than ten years old.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Farmers and Bumpkins, paaah

> it is the only profession I know of that gets a nice subsidy from the EU

apart from

The film industry, "Renewable" energy, anything which exports, the TV industry, Independant commercial radio, fishing, insulation fitting, gas fitting, fitting solar panels, the car industry, the motorbike industry, aviation, road building.....

Oh and (via prohibition) organized crime.

The Single Farm Payment is interesting because it covers everything and is subject to delays of up to three years in payment from DEFRA. It is also weighted to pay more per acre the more acres you have (again, this is specific to the UK's implementation - it doesn't work that way in, for example, France where it protects the rural economy and supports small farmers). It's a UK Government thing. For some reason, they like subsidizing rich people.

> Also did someone force your dad to be a farmer?

No, he could have stayed on in the Army after his National Service - oh wait, no he couldn't. But he could certainly have discarded all the craftsman-level skills he had acquired and done something worthless like most of us do. I expect it would have killed him even faster.

Iain Duncan Smith was a protected officer, twice assessed as "incompetent" and pushed out before he could do too much damage. Now he lives on his wife's income, EU subsidies and expensed breakfasts that cost more than half of a week's Jobseeker's Allowance. He can't add up, he can't defend his vindictive policies, he laughs about the misery he causes and i expect you've got his pin-up on your wall, tory boy.

I can't argue with you about supermarkets but hey, they contribute to both major political parties so they're protected.

9
2
dogged
Silver badge

the only farmers without internet access have less than 400 acres and are usually tenants, hence they are poor. Most would qualify for Tax Credits if they weren't self-employed.

The plan is, those farmers will probably get nothing and either starve, or go broke or kill themselves. Farming is the profession with the highest percentage of suicides in the UK after all.

So they don't matter.

3
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Farmers and Bumpkins, paaah

except for people like Iain Duncan Smith who claim vast amounts of subsidy on land they pay somebody else to half-farm.

The lack of "digital skills" is an issue - quite literally. I had to build my dad a keyboard because his fingers were quite simply too large to press less than three keys at a time (actually being a fucking farmer does that to you IDS, you workshy cunt). Even then he basically made my mum do it all. And then, after DEFRA culled all his perfectly healthy cattle during Foot & Mouth for no reason and then didn't pay him for them for over two years, died.

I am a little off-topic here but is it okay to want to want to beat in Iain Duncan Smith's smug idiot face with a rifle-butt?

23
4

GROUPTHINK HIVE MIND informs climate change believers

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Scientists, eh!

> And this is the problem - those who believe it is real cry that the deniers side is blindly ignoring good evidence, while those who do not believe it is real cry that the believers are blindly accepting bad evidence.

And both are correct.

Me? Unconvinced. But happy to support using less fossil fuel because that's cheaper. Not happy to support windmills that only work three days per year. Happy to support hydroelectrics which work (though your standard hippy has a divide by zero on those because they mean CHAINING GAIA WITH DAMS). Happy to support nuclear power which works and is safer than any other form of generation. Not happy with carbon trading and taxes on fuel because that's making poor people pay for your greenness.

Not about to vote Green because not batshit insane.

5
1
dogged
Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Climate change exaggeration of vague science is a war crime for history to judge.

8/10 troll.

Well done. Good use of caps.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Scientists, eh!

> states the obvious: AGW climate change is real and must be tackled.

Unless it isn't.

16
9

Rumours of on-premises software's demise greatly exaggerated

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I had a problem and tried to solve it with Sharepoint

Of course but GitHub does not provide burndown charts to our clients and is, er open to everyone.

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I had a problem and tried to solve it with Sharepoint

There aren't really. For example, the case I mentioned above. It takes about three minutes to set up an externally accessible SP2013 site and about a minute to enable our current burndown charts, task list and test plans on it. Another three minutes adding email addresses to AD locks it down to the relevant users. Another thirty seconds enables comments, requests and push notifications. Could I code that in HTML, JavaScript and CSS? Sure. Could I do the back-end stuff in node.js or MVC? Totally. Would it take me less than ten minutes? Not a fucking chance.

Sharepoint joins up a lot of the dots that are not hard but unwieldy and expensive to implement well. And given that our Action Pack license includes it at no extra charge, it's a no brainer.

Of course you can claim it sucks because of $REASONS_YOU_MADE_UP and that $LOL_USE_LINUX_LOL but that doesn't make you right.

It just means that you're missing out. You can actually do loads of really quite cool stuff with SharePoint. You don't HAVE to use it but in many cases, particularly intranet cases where AD/LDAP runs the security, it does all the integration and saves a lot of time. And it's already tested so you don't have to code-your-own and then test it.

Unless you don't test in which case remind me never to employ you.

6
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I had a problem and tried to solve it with Sharepoint

I find Sharepoint invaluable for sharing TFS data with clients.

Rule #3 of software - Just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

3
6

Breaking news: BBC FINALLY spots millions of mugshots on cop database

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Erm...

without a warrant, certainly.

1
0

UK not-spot deal: When we said '2017’, we meant 1 DAY BEFORE 2018

dogged
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Coverage as listed by whom?

@Crisp

That would be wonderful. It'll never happen though.

4
0
dogged
Silver badge

Coverage as listed by whom?

I'm with O2. Their coverage map show "Good indoors and outdoors" for 2G around my house. There is no coverage inside and outside is too poor to make a call.

Back when I used to live near Salisbury Plain, we'd regularly check coverage maps to try to get any signal at all. Orange used to claim full coverage. They had exactly zero coverage. I just checked with a relative and they now claim "excellent" 3G coverage inside and out. There is still exactly no coverage, inside or out.

So what's the point of asking the operators when they outright lie about it?

7
0

Forums