* Posts by dogged

4532 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Free ethical upgrade offered as Fairphone launches mobe No 2

dogged
Silver badge

It was pens, with me. Ballpoints with spring mechanisms were my favourite, although the springs were distressingly easy to deform, lose or otherwise render useless.

1
0

JavaScript creator Eich's latest project: KILL JAVASCRIPT

dogged
Silver badge

I bet MS will be pushing for a C#->WebAssembly compiler. Or maybe F#.

(Not that I think this would be a terrible thing but without the surrounding assemblies it's hard to know how useful C# would be).

2
0

Sharing Economy latest: Women's BREAST MILK is the new 'liquid GOLD' of the internet

dogged
Silver badge

For commercial sale, wouldn't the milk have to be pasteurised?

1
1

BOOM! Stephen Elop shuffled out of Microsoft door

dogged
Silver badge

Presumably somebody still remembers the Nokia X Series and still isn't too chuffed about it.

5
0

Apple seeks fawning 'journalists' for in-house 'news' self pluggery

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Rory Cellan-Jones.com

Basically, Apple could hire RC-J and the entire Guardian tech-writing team (two fanboi bloggers) and job's a good'un.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Rory Cellan-Jones would be a shoo-in for this gig.

4
0

The insidious danger of the lone wolf control freak sysadmin

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Internal wikis - do they ever live up to expectations?

We all work for those companies. Those are all the companies in the world.

9
0

Testing Windows 10 on Surface 3: Perfect combo or buggy embuggerance?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: This is getting silly

@Timmy 8 -

As stated, this was a couple of months back. It may be better now. I just don't feel like betting the time to install, test and rollback on it.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: As it turned out, Microsoft's success was limited

"They (The Reg) don't want to lose any chance of getting Hololens in the same way they don't get Apple gear."

Fixed.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: This is getting silly

I tried it on an 8" tablet a few releases (and three months) ago and it was dreadful, as in monumentally crappy. Reinstalled 8.1 pretty quickly and I haven't tried the later releases.

I think July 29th is early enough for my tablet. Or possibly July 28th 2016 (since it's free until then). Call me nervous but it was a terrible experience whereas Win8.1 is absolutely fine.

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2, btw.

2
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: This is getting silly

> Do Microsoft really not get that the Start Screen (tablet) and the Start Menu (desktop) do not have to be mutually exclusive?

Of course they do, hence the Continuum thing.

It just needs kicking into shape.

0
0

The Register invests in Infrastructure (channel)

dogged
Silver badge

It looks good. Is there any reason why you can't do that the "The Channel" as well?

Christ, that whole different layout/different login thing is irritating. And ugly.

9
0

Vodafone hikes prices to 37.5p/min – and lets angry customers flee

dogged
Silver badge
Meh

> It’s a good job that doctors’ receptionists never put you on hold

Hilarious.

The best of all (in my experience) is the Gwent Out Of Hours GP service (0845 6001231) which takes seven and a half minutes of useless message before you even get to the stage of being put on hold. With a woman's voice going "If. You. Want. To. Try. Our. Inter. Active. Do. I. Need. A. Doctor. Service. Please. Go To. doubleyou. doubleyou. doublyou. Dot. Do. I. Need. A. doctor. Dot ..." etc ad nauseam.

On finally getting through, you can expect at least half an hour on hold.

I swear it's a revenue raising service.

18
0

Nokia to LG: You want our smartphone IP? Alright, you got it

dogged
Silver badge

They're still working on the networking MNO side of things so I expect the patents will continue to flow.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Nokia is now............. @dogged

I think an ellipsis counts as a single mark.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: Nokia is now.............

No. Nokia genuinely spent the money and did the research.

Also, multiple punctuation marks are a moron-indicator. Try to avoid them.

22
1

Intel inside: Six of the best affordable PC laptops

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Ermm summat wrong with UK pricing

Here that would have cost £710. Plus 20% VAT.

Dollars are entirely equal to pounds if you're a PC manufacturer, apparently.

4
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Offtopic...

Thinkpads have physical buttons.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Is it me or is it 2008?

> Hardly Retina/Pixel is it?

No, I'd say it predates that kind of marketing drivel. But you carry on, AC. Dead Steve Jobs will reward you in Apple Heaven.

8
4

It's 2015 and Microsoft has figured out anything can break Windows

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Rewrite!

I see you once posted something that didn't tell people to use linux (which you insist on capitalizing, for some reason) but it was only drivel about Internet of Toasters.

Can we have that /ignore button now please, @gazthejourno?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: @Dcotor Syntax

> Enjoy your malware infestations.

I am a debian user, for preference. However, I'm also a professional developer/architect and I (currently and frequently) use Windows for work and this has taught me in several painful and non-painful lessons that a well-secured Windows system is as secure as a well-secured linux system and that a poorly secured linux system is only more secure than a poorly secured Windows system because Windows has a larger predator population.

The short version is that you are wrong, and while you continue to be partisan about operating systems (operating systems?!? ffs how sad is that? Tribalism over preferred window launcher? Even football supporters make more sense) you will remain both wrong and deliberately stupid.

I can abide natural stupidity but deliberate stupidity is unforgivable.

11
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Rewrite!

> I am an IT professional with a career that spans 37 years of experience.

In that case, thank you for posting. It's okay, we understand all this stuff and it's bound to happen sometimes - some days are better than others, right? Even Terry Pratchett himself suffered from your embuggerance and I for one will support your right to die as you choose.

Or you're 14 and you made that up. Seriously, if you started in 1978 you'd have a better clue.

6
5
dogged
Silver badge

@Dcotor Syntax

He's probably recently emerged from Eadon having grown from a tumour.

Let's all just let it go.

Honestly, this is the kind of dickwad commenting we get on the Reg these days. Article about MS producing a new thing to find and destroy malware? Quick, log on, suggest they burn their entire business, write a new OS based on a kernel they have ~(little) in-house expertise with and then confidently declare that this would be more more secure?!?

The depressing part is that this kind of disconnection from reality is so common around here and it's purely limited to frothing linux fanboys of little experience and almost no technical ability.

Nobody jumps onto Red Hat or ubuntu threads and suggests they pack it all in and use OSX.

21
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Just Use Linux

Very few people do online banking through their dishwasher.

Please, just stop. You're not helping your case at all.

23
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Just Use Linux

> Of course it is vulnerable but FAR less and with the correct configuration almost impervious!

Try a thought experiment for a moment. Assume that every single Windows desktop and server in the world magically became a linux desktop or server last night. Assume all Windows software - including Office, java and Flash - were migrated along with the OS.

Now tell me, what is every single malware author in the world doing right this second?

Yeah.

Now go away.

23
5
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Just Use Linux

>> Assumes linux is invulnerable to malware.

moron detected. opinion dismissed.

25
5

Cortana threatens to blow away ESC key

dogged
Silver badge

Re: OK can I just explain Cortana to a few people...

> But since Tosh are including a button to *summon* it, the interface is obviously not as slick as ... "Cortana, you're always turned on so why have I had to press your buttons?"

Because no manufacturer ever decided to add pointless buttons to an otherwise usable keyboard, right?

3
0

BlackBerry ponders putting Android on future mobes

dogged
Silver badge

Re: hah hah

To be fair, it works out pretty well for Google.

Nobody else, though.

4
1
dogged
Silver badge
WTF?

Re: striking while the irons hot!

> BB are doing exactly what nokia SHOULD have done when they instead chose to go with Microsoft.

Giving up and handing the mobile market to Samsung?

3
2

Apple to tailor Swift into fully open-source language – for Linux, too

dogged
Silver badge

No it doesn't.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Also, you'd have lock Oracle in there too, and Larry Ellison bites.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: microsoft

> ...could have had this, if they had done mre than copying java

C# is objectively (no pun intended) well ahead of Java in terms of feature completeness and has been for years. Dynamics, generics, Java only just got lambda expressions for Christ's sake.

I'll agree that the concept is similar but Hjelsberg's execution is far, far better than Gosling's.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

.net code compiles to MSIL which in turn compiles to native using JIT.

Short version is that it does, but no "vm" is required to run it, only the compiled assemblies it references.

5
1
dogged
Silver badge

Unlike such languages as [...] C#, which execute in virtual machine runtimes

Oh look, accuracy in journalism. Not.

3
7

Vintage Ask toolbar is malware – and we'll kill Jeeves, says Microsoft

dogged
Silver badge

Re: It's a useful metric

You mean like this?

5
0
dogged
Silver badge
2
4

Future Range Rovers will report pot-holes directly to councils

dogged
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: What a great idea

Unless it also paints cocks around the potholes.

15
0

Women are fleeing from the digital sector, reckons UK.gov report

dogged
Silver badge

The only possible solution is that all women are forced to work in IT. No woman should be permitted to choose any other career and it is irrelevant whether or not they actually like IT or have any desire to learn the skills or be interested in the concepts. Mandatory. All women. Until this disgusting situation is dealt with.

Also darts. Women are horrendously under-represented in professional top tier darts and therefore all women will now be forced, by law, to play darts at least five times a week or face a custodial sentence in a special darts training centre.

6
1

Microsoft to Linux users: Explain yourself

dogged
Silver badge

Re: A bit late, Microsoft

Yeah, but that's users. Technology isn't their job. It's our job.

8
3

Screw you, Apple! We're still making phones no one wants – Samsung

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Samsung Crapware

> If they weren't crap everyone would want one.

Okay then. Macs are crap, linux is crap, McDonald's is the best restaurant in the world.

Market share is seldom an indication of quality.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Samsung Crapware

I think you'd have to define how they're crap before you can state it as fact.

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Samsung Crapware

Or a crap free Blackberry. Or something running Sailfish. Or a Windows phone. Those (from experience) do come with some crapware but it's all removable exactly the same way any other app is removable.

3
0

Competition risk? BT faces rigorous frisking over £12.5bn EE takeover bid

dogged
Silver badge

Re: @dogged

I think if you don't reject third-party cookies, you need to wise up.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Channel Reg is a hideous abomination that should be merged into the main site. It's ugly, it's clunky, it requires a separate login and it's generally unnecessary.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

How is it a threat to the mobile market when BT have (effectively) no mobile service?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not boosting for BT or EE here, I just don't see the threat (in the mobile market).

Now, 3 eating O2 is a definite threat to competition. Alas, I do hope that one goes ahead but only because I'm with O2 and Three's network is far better in my home area (in that Three's actually works and O2's doesn't. At all. Damn them and their shitty TuGo app that also doesn't work).

2
0

Corporate cuddle: USTR linked arms with industry in TPP negotiations

dogged
Silver badge

The EFF has put an archive of the e-mails here.

Where?

1
0

Brit plods' post-TETRA radio omnishambles comes home to roost

dogged
Silver badge

> providing he doesn't fall over.

Hey. We're called "Scaleybacks" for a reason.

(Even though nobody's quite certain what that reason is. The lead-acid battery fable is often suggested though).

0
0

Shouty investor Elliot trains guns on Samsung merger

dogged
Silver badge

Does Elliot also own a stake in LG?

Just askin'

0
0

What's broken in this week's build of Windows 10? Installing it, for one

dogged
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: This is what's known as a show stopper

Quite a bit since less than 20% of testers experience this "show-stopper".

2
3

Ed Snowden should be pardoned, thunders Amnesty Int'l

dogged
Silver badge

Re: @Boltar

So he committed a crime because he can't prove he didn't?

I don't like your idea of justice.

35
2

Forums