* Posts by dogged

3920 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Get internet access to those POOR country bumpkins, says UK.gov

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Farmers and Bumpkins, paaah

except for people like Iain Duncan Smith who claim vast amounts of subsidy on land they pay somebody else to half-farm.

The lack of "digital skills" is an issue - quite literally. I had to build my dad a keyboard because his fingers were quite simply too large to press less than three keys at a time (actually being a fucking farmer does that to you IDS, you workshy cunt). Even then he basically made my mum do it all. And then, after DEFRA culled all his perfectly healthy cattle during Foot & Mouth for no reason and then didn't pay him for them for over two years, died.

I am a little off-topic here but is it okay to want to want to beat in Iain Duncan Smith's smug idiot face with a rifle-butt?

23
4

Rumours of on-premises software's demise greatly exaggerated

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I had a problem and tried to solve it with Sharepoint

There aren't really. For example, the case I mentioned above. It takes about three minutes to set up an externally accessible SP2013 site and about a minute to enable our current burndown charts, task list and test plans on it. Another three minutes adding email addresses to AD locks it down to the relevant users. Another thirty seconds enables comments, requests and push notifications. Could I code that in HTML, JavaScript and CSS? Sure. Could I do the back-end stuff in node.js or MVC? Totally. Would it take me less than ten minutes? Not a fucking chance.

Sharepoint joins up a lot of the dots that are not hard but unwieldy and expensive to implement well. And given that our Action Pack license includes it at no extra charge, it's a no brainer.

Of course you can claim it sucks because of $REASONS_YOU_MADE_UP and that $LOL_USE_LINUX_LOL but that doesn't make you right.

It just means that you're missing out. You can actually do loads of really quite cool stuff with SharePoint. You don't HAVE to use it but in many cases, particularly intranet cases where AD/LDAP runs the security, it does all the integration and saves a lot of time. And it's already tested so you don't have to code-your-own and then test it.

Unless you don't test in which case remind me never to employ you.

6
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I had a problem and tried to solve it with Sharepoint

I find Sharepoint invaluable for sharing TFS data with clients.

Rule #3 of software - Just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

3
6

Google boffins PROVE security warnings don't ... LOOK! A funny cat!

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I've seen and bypassed this message.

By using the blockquote tag.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I've seen and bypassed this message.

> If there were an intuitive way in Chrome to trust the self-signed certificate, I'd do that and be done with it.

Stop using Chrome.

Firefox can do it. And it contains no spyware.

2
1

GROUPTHINK HIVE MIND informs climate change believers

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Scientists, eh!

> states the obvious: AGW climate change is real and must be tackled.

Unless it isn't.

16
8

Why Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi 2? Upton: 'I drank the Kool-Aid'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Security???

> Ok, admittedly MS has made huge strides on improving their security, but they're a long ways from security being a reason that you choose Windows.

It's getting close though and you have to admit that Windows has the largest attack surface. How many billion Windows installs are out there? That anyone can install software on (without a walled garden)?

The most secure OS is probably some dodgy port of AmigaOS used by four people in a lab somewhere but I thought we'd all agreed that security via obscurity was a stupid idea.

9
8

Spent the weekend watching Game of Thrones? You're a FAT LONELY SADDO

dogged
Silver badge

@Don Dumb

> after the kids have gone to bed

I have a toddler. He'll be 2 at the end of March. There is no "after". There are several hours spent trying to get the little shit to sleep followed by rapidly passing out because regardless of what I do, he will be up at 6. Unless I'm up at 6. The he'll sleep in 'til 8.

6
0

Ugly, incomplete, buggy: Windows 10 faces a sprint to the finish

dogged
Silver badge

Re: RTM

I don't think you need to be an MS insider to notice that what they're offering is a zero-price OEM license.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: RTM

It would be incredibly complex (and thus expensive) for MS to go around deciding what the lifetime of any device is. Therefore, what this (almost certainly means) is, in the short version "non-transferrable". You can't take your Win10 license key from your 7-inch tablet, junk the tablet and put it on an HTPC.

OEM license, basically.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: RTM

> My betting is that 'free for a year' implies they want to go to an Office 365 model where you rent the OS with automatic updates

I'd take that bet but it would be unfair because Terry Myerson said a week ago at the preview event that it would not be a subscription, that there would be no further charges for the OS and that anyone who tried to implement such a pricing model must be "nuts".

Don't worry though, it's still being repeated around the Internet, mostly by the same people who spread FUD about SecureBoot.

14
14
dogged
Silver badge
Holmes

Re: I still shudder...

will you operate it whilst enjoying a swift jaunt around one of Her Majesty's parks on your newfangled Penny Farthing, good sir?

Oh, if only there were a version one's valet could carry for one for use whilst travelling upon a charabanc or the public omnibus!

11
34

Microsoft 'showers gold' on anti-Google Cyanogen and its Android alternative

dogged
Silver badge

Re: That'll please Google

> Yahoo Search == Bing

True, but Yahoo! pays Bing for search and also pays Mozilla to keep on building Firefox.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: That'll please Google

No, Yahoo! does.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: strategy?

>what does the average phone buyer know

Not enough for this to even register with them.

Is it a Samsung? Does it do Maps? Can I get my emailz? Will it run Tindr? WhatsApp? Okay.

5
0

Three to pleasure bumpkins with 800MHz

dogged
Silver badge

Re: The FT this week called the O2/Three merger a solution looking for a problem"

It's just grumping without any serious analysis.

Relevant bit is -

"The European regulators appear strangely in thrall to the operators’ argument that they need to merge in order to invest in new networks and services. But there is no evidence that this is so. Although returns on capital employed have fallen in European mobile from a very high 20 per cent to 10 per cent over the past five years, this still well exceeds their cost of capital.

Nor have regulators found a satisfactory substitute for the competitive stimulus they are permitting operators to eliminate. Guaranteeing access to virtual mobile operators is little more than a sticking plaster with few adhesive qualities. These entities neither reliably lead the market on price, nor can they deliver improvements to the quality of networks.

Brussels’ past lack of rigour gives little comfort that it will reach a much firmer conclusion in the case of Hutchison’s British deal. Indeed the risk is that precedent will lead the European regulator to rubber-stamp the same flawed arrangements.

The mobile business remains a national market and those affected are UK consumers. Either Brussels must toughen its line, even at the cost of some inconsistency, or it should break the circuit of dismal precedent and hand the deal back to the UK authorities. One thing is certain. Having messed up three mobile markets, Brussels should not be permitted to make the same mistake again."

1
0

Apple CEO: Fandroids are BINNING Android in favour of IPHONES

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Hardly surprising

I think that (globally) dumbphones still have the largest market share.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: "Only 15 per cent of iPhone 6 customers have upgraded from other iPhones."

My missus is hanging on to her iPhone 5S for dear life, I know that much.

Small hands.

5
0

Wham, bam... premium rate scam: Grindr users hit with fun-killing charges

dogged
Silver badge

Re: @Kristian Walsh - £1 per second? I don't think so.

> Yes, if you connect and hang up one second later, you will be charged £1.53"

Surely you'll be charged £3.06?

0
0

OH HAPPY DAY! Lawyers replaced by AI

dogged
Silver badge

Kai sho

I see a gap...

0
0

Sky sidles up to O2, whispers: 'Fancy a little FOUR-PLAY?'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Past Form

Honestly, I'm surprised Sky didn't just counter-bid against Three.

0
0

'YOUTUBE is EVIL': Somebody had a tape running, Google...

dogged
Silver badge

Re: The BBC missing a trick?

The BBC doesn't have (as much) international appeal or brand-name recognition but your idea is crazy enough that it might just work.

As a hat-tip to an old Channel4 show and it's (currently at the Beeb) presenter, maybe JulesTube?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Should be easy enough to clear up

Are you suggesting she puts it on Youtube?

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

That's David Lowery of Camper Van Beethoven, right?

0
0

Microsoft Outlook comes to Android, iOS: MS email now a bit less painful on mobile

dogged
Silver badge

Re: IMAP support

Usually the problem is "Google, stop claiming your products are IMAP when you have bastardized the specification with your Embrace, Extend, OwnForeverMuahahaha" bullshit".

2
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: What's wrong with the built-in mail client on WP8.x?

Attachments blow goats on it. Composing a new mail to multiple individuals is a pain. It doesn't pick up Exchange mailing lists well. Flagging is a pain.

Generally speaking, it's not a bad POP3/IMAP client but it's nowhere near the functionality of Outlook Mail.

0
0

Top smut site Flashes visitors, leaves behind nasty virus

dogged
Silver badge

Re: " Alexa tells us it's more popular than El Reg"

> Do you really want to see topless geeks?

Rule 34.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: " Alexa tells us it's more popular than El Reg"

Maybe you need a Page 3 feature.

8
0

Bill Gates – I WISH I was like Zuck and spoke Chinese. Yep, I drink poo

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Multiple Subtitles

Some of their cinema isn't actually awful which is more than you can say for Israeli pop music.

The combination of thinking Eurovision is cool and the sound of the modern Hebrew language leads to an experience akin to having your ears raped.

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: French - Anything but easy.

> Sorry, but one of the most phonetic language is Italian - you read it exactly the way it is written

Lies. There are a myriad of cases where you have absolutely no indication whether "c" is "ess", "ka" or "cha".

0
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: French - Anything but easy.

Omar Sharif's arabic is like a massage for your ears, true.

Modern Hebrew sounds like Welshman having a fit.

4
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: French - Anything but easy.

(missed edit time limit)

Also, Hebrew is fugly. It sounds like you're trying to puke out a snake made of gravel. Why Eliezer Ben-Yehuda wanted Jews to speak like Klingons is beyond me but for some reason they decided it was a good idea...

And an entirely different alphabet! Fantastic! With no vowels! So every single word is a crossword puzzle at all times and you have to know what a word says before you can read it. English isn't the world's most phonetic language - that would probably be German - but Hebrew takes the absolute fucking piss. Gotta love being suddenly illiterate.

4
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: French - Anything but easy.

Mm yeah, because verbs and nouns taking the gender of the speaker and listener(s) at the same time is tres facile. And the new word for the definite article, that's not confusing at all.

I disagree. French is piss easy by comparison. But Spanish is easier still.

1
0

BITE that APPLE if you want to escape the Android garden, Microsoft

dogged
Silver badge

> Yet more total garbage from this rapidly deteriorating website.

To be fair, Gavin's articles have always been bollocks.

2
1

Mozilla dusts off old servers, lights up Tor relays

dogged
Silver badge

I'd completely forgotten about Polaris.

Well, that explains why Google refused to support Mozilla anymore.

4
0

Charles Townes, inventor of the laser and friend to both science and religion, dies

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Religion is...

I'm sure many religious people aim to understand the purpose and meaning of our universe and many others are conditioned or terrified of the responsibility that living without religion entails and a small number are power-seeking shits who treat people as things but they probably would be with or without religion.

The big difference is that we can make blanket statements about the purpose of science with some degree of confidence. It's much harder to do so with religion, but that doesn't mean Professor Townes was wrong - only that he was not wholly right.

And as a scientist, he would have learned a great deal from not being right. That's the whole point.

21
1

Your gran and her cronies are 'embracing online banking' – study

dogged
Silver badge

She better not be, she's been dead for 20 years.

3
0

Google Translate MEAT GRINDER turns gay into 'faggot', 'poof', 'queen'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: *facepalm*

> Reminds me of time on holiday in the US when I mentioned (in a crowded bar in the deep south) that I was going out for a fag.

A colleague of mine on business in San Francisco commented that their railway stations were apparently not used as ashtrays (this was pre Smoking Ban) with the immortal phrase "I'm impressed by the state of fag butts around here".

That caused some confusion, I am informed.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: can't say it anymore

It's worse than that, Jim.

clicky

1
0

Spartan on Windows 7? Microsoft is 'watching demand'

dogged
Silver badge

I have that one solved. I don't install Flash.

7
1
dogged
Silver badge

do you recommend they then use Chrome to download Firefox? After all, it has less cruft in the form of spyware and phoning all your searches back to Google and it doesn't keep asking you to "log in" to your Google account. It also renders hi-res text and images better than a 1970s American TV. Unlike Chrome.

I can't argue if that's where you were going but I would strongly suggest cutting out the middle man.

5
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Just Asking...

No, because IE is still there for that.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

that's nearly as funny as "M$", AC. What a droll man you are.

10
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: The thing is....

> buy a chromebook

if you live in Starbucks and never use anything outside of a browser.

11
3

GoDaddy in doghouse over puppy-flogging Super Bowl ad

dogged
Silver badge

Re: So it's okay to...

I don't see what's liberal about not selling dogs online anyway. I mean, by doing it the traditional way that would appear to be innately conservative.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: So it's okay to...

Many people advertise puppies for sale online and that's fine. You have to let people know you've got a litter somehow, after all.

Nobody would actually _sell_ a puppy online. Christ, imagine the prank sales with bored idiots "buying" puppies for the local cat lady or for the flat-dwelling guy who works 18 hours days...

Apart from anything else, a reputable breeder can (and does) refuse to sell to somebody they don't think would make a responsible dog owner. You can do this because no money has changed hands. It would be a legal minefield if the puppy in question was already bought and paid for.

3
0

Jellybean upgrade too hard for Choc Factory, but not for YOU

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Wait 90 days and publish the exploit?

Two people were. I didn't know Larry and Sergey voted here.

2
0

Switch it off and on again: How peers failed to sneak Snoopers' Charter into terror bill

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Organising the Techies

I wrote to my MP regarding the last heap of crap they shoved through Parliament. He basically told me to fuck off.

10
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Organising the Techies

>A: Take inspiration from Shinto shrines that have been in existence for hundreds of years, but which are rebuilt every 20 years.

That's very clever......Do you work for GCHQ?

1
0

SSL

dogged
Silver badge

SSL

Hey El Reg types,

When are you going to bother to enable SSL on The Register? Both the site and the forums are currently unencrypted and not available encrypted.

*taps watch*

It is 2015, y'know.

0
0

Forums