* Posts by dogged

4992 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

The Nokia ENIGMA THING and its SECRET, TERRIBLE purpose

dogged
Facepalm

Turns out it was just another Foxconn android tablet.

0
1
dogged

I was actually thinking "femtocell".

0
0

Microsoft .NET released from its Windows chains... but what ABOUT MONO?

dogged

I shall try this if I get time at the weekend.

Upvoted for providing a testplan.

1
0
dogged
Stop

FUD FUD FUDdy FUDdy FUD.. you do love your FUD don't you?

Because this is either a) ignorance or b) outright lies. .NET framework versions used to be cumulative - 1.1 will run 1.0 assemblies without issue, 2.0 will run 1.1 and 1.0, 3.0 will run 2.0, 1.1 and 1.0 and 3.5 will run 3.0, 2.0, 1.1 and 1.0*

With 4, they started moving toward the Core model and you're going to need the 3.5 framework if you want to run anything earlier than 4.0. So that's two versions. Which, according to your post in another thread is a "gazillion". Or you're a liar.

*The essential caveat here is that if you are a truly shitty programmer then it is entirely possible that you've written your assemblies to check for a specific framework version and refuse to run without it. Does that sound like you, Hans 1?

I don't think it does. I think you just prefer making shit up.

13
2

Are MPs smarter than 5-year-olds? We'll soon find out at coding school – Berners-Lee

dogged

Re: Re why stick at coding?

Apart from his frankly retarded idea that prohibition is effective, I'd prefer David Davis to Cameron and regardless of opinions, Prescott is always going to be an improvement on Milliband.

4
0
dogged

Weeell... sort of

Being able to code means that you understand what people can do with a computer

but not really. Because "being able to code" doesn't specify what you're able to code. Six months reading github might teach you what other people are able to do with a computer but if all you can do is write a "Hello world" HTML page, that's not really comparable.

10
0

Microsoft exams? Tough, you say? Pffft. 5-YEAR-OLD KID passes MCP test

dogged

Re: Easy to criticise MCPs

You're full of shit - he had to use one to take the damn test.

0
0
dogged

You guys are awesome. No, you guys are truly amazing. If only everyone was secure enough in their own skills to publicly sneer at little children on the internet.

The point is - many adults fail these tests. He didn't. He's clearly a very clever kid.

Shitting on his achievement this way must mean that each and every one of you is Carl Sagan.

Go you, you high-flying big-bucks earning super geniuses.

--

I am, of course, operating under the assumption that every comment here was made without bias, on personal experience and that none of the above commentards are semi-employable halfwits who read a fucking support script for a living.

0
1
dogged

Re: Easy to criticise MCPs

were you five?

0
0
dogged

"The history of Windows dates back to September 1981, when Chase Bishop, a computer scientist, designed the first model of an electronic device and project "Interface Manager" was started." - Wikipedia

I never said "released". Troll harder. I'm at least not claiming that anyone supports a v1 OS anymore.

5
1
dogged
FAIL

Says the man who thinks .NET frameworks previous to 4 aren't cumulative.

Nobody can take anything you say about anything MS seriously.

10
5

Oi, Europe! Tell US feds to GTFO of our servers, say Microsoft and pals

dogged

Re: It's not Europe's problem to fix

They pay enough for my little boy to go to nursery.

0
0
dogged
Thumb Up

Re: Yeah right

Very well put, Anon.

0
0
dogged
WTF?

Re: It's not Europe's problem to fix

> The root problem has NOTHING to do with Europe, and is not fixable in Europe.

Well yes, hence an amicus brief.

(I currently work for lawyers - don't hate me, I do enough of that for all of us)

2
0
dogged

Re: Yeah right

The problem is that even if it flies and the EU run with it, the Tories and UKIP will then spin it as a bad thing and immediately hand over everything.

*sigh*

5
2

The Toyota Aygo is PARKtastic ... but it is very much a City slicker

dogged

I like the dash

Very mini-retro.

0
0

Poll trolls' GCHQ script sock puppets manipulate muppets

dogged

Re: AH HA!!!!

> Did you have to?

Yes, I really did.

I could have mentioned that he looks like David Cameron too if I'd been feeling really vindictive.

0
0
dogged

Re: AH HA!!!!

And he has serious cameltoe.

Next time, you'll see it and then you'll always see it.

I'm sick of suffering this alone.

3
0

Players gonna play (play, play): Google confirms YouTube Music 'access all areas' key

dogged

GYTMK

Pronounced "Git Milton Keynes".

0
0

Mastercard and Visa to ERADICATE password authentication

dogged

Dubious, philosophically speaking

"We want to identify people for who they are, not what they remember"

riiiiiiiiight

2
2

Adobe appoints former Reg man as open-source chief mobile lead

dogged

Re: The shame. The shame.

That looks like exactly the type of Steve Bong! bullshit that Matt Asay used to write here.

Honestly, it was buzzword bingo with every article, opinions gathered from breathless press releases and a level of information-free baseless enthusiasm usually reserved for fat people blogging about Zumba and for televangelists.

Adobe and Matt Asay deserve each other.

5
0

Dark side of the DUNE: Probot snaps shadowy comet surface selfie

dogged

Re: LMFAO

A product of the superior American education system, I see.

11
1

Words to put dread in a sysadmin's heart: 'We are moving our cloud from Windows to Linux'

dogged

Re: Windows upgrades

I wrote -

> MS is aggressively opening up the source of the .NET stack.

and two people downvoted it.

How'd you feel now, suckers?

1
1
dogged

Re: Windows upgrades

even then, there's Mono and MS is aggressively opening up the source of the .NET stack.

2
2

Microsoft: It's TIME at LAST. Yes - .NET is going OPEN and X-PLATFORM

dogged

It's not even true. The 3.x runtime will happily run code compiled against 2.0 unless the idiot who wrote that code has explicitly told it not to run without 2.0.

3.5 will run any previous code. 4.6 will run any 4.x code.

The maximum number of .NET framework versions you need is two. So we have learned that for Hans, "two" equals "a gazillion".

4
1
dogged

Re: So it works as well as Flash on OS/X ?

> In IBM's case they're still supporting an OS that was shipping before Bill flunked college.

That goes two ways. IBM don't support any codebase older than 9 years without special (expensive) arrangement. I know this because the company I work for has just upgraded rather than enter into such an arrangement. Now, the name "DB2" may be older than 9 years - the version is not.

SlackWare, Suse and RedHat do not support "OSes that predate Microsoft's NT 3.51" - they support more recent iterations.

If I were judging MS the way you judge IBM et al, I could say "Microsoft have been supporting this single OS (Windows) since September 1981" but that would be disingenuous at best so I won't. I would be obliged if you'd show others the same courtesy.

5
1
dogged

Re: Another tool in the kitbag

> What will you do if you have developed something, run in on Linux machines... and one day Microsoft decided not to support Linux any longer.

What happens if Steve Ballmer's angry ghost comes along and rapes your penguin?

Let's not deal in paranoia, shall we?

1
4
dogged

Re: So it works as well as Flash on OS/X ?

> There's always been a fear that they will, purely from their track record.

What, a track record of supporting operating systems longer than any other vendor and development frameworks for - if we count the switch from Sun to Oracle as a new owner, which it is - longer than any other vendor?

About the only framework MS ever axed without legal pressure (JScript) is Silverlight and as I recall, all the massed ranks of El Reg commentards laughed at Silverlight because it was stupid and M$ and clearly shitty M$ stuff and useless.

Does my memory fail me?

3
1
dogged

Re: So it works as well as Flash on OS/X ?

Well, it's been around for 13 years so far. It's probably not going to get EOLd anytime soon.

2
0
dogged

Re: So it works as well as Flash on OS/X ?

> embrace, extend and extinguish

Oh fuck off with your FUD unless you can find a way to Embrace Extend Extinguish the Apache 2 license.

Here's a hint - lots of people would make a lot of money if you can so it's probably been tried.

And by the way - I very much doubt that you're older than I am unless this is elderly paranoia we're witnessing. Have you gone racist as well?

14
14
dogged

Re: Another tool in the kitbag

Yeah because using the Apache license means MS retain TOTAL CONTROL and if you use their code they can LOOK IN YOUR PANTS AT ANY TIME and then EMBRACE EXTEND EXTINGUISH ALL OF OPEN SOURCE

or alternatively, you've got serious prejudice problems.

13
5
dogged

Re: bloody hell

I'm sure umbraco will be pretty high on the list for that treatment.

What I want is not only a linux implementation of .NET but a tiny low-power NAS capable of running it as a plugin. That would definitely cheer me up.

2
0
dogged
FAIL

Re: Ah Miguel

Yeah, they made him really respected and rather wealthy, more so with the Xamarin sales.

Poor Mikel, always looking for something to hate MS for when as so often, it's all in your mind.

11
5
dogged

Re: So it works as well as Flash on OS/X ?

You don't have to get involved if you don't want to.

You could sit here with with the other trolls and complain about proprietary software, conveniently ignoring all those annoying facts. I rather hope you do, actually. That means there'll be less competition for cross-platform .NET developers.

Personally, I'm rather looking forward to using C#5 on linux without having to step back a version or two to the last stable mono stack.

31
2

Redmond aims to outshine Eclipse with FREE Visual Studio

dogged

> Can I run VS on Linux yet? Until I can, I don't care whether it's cross-platform, it's no use to me.

Not yet but given that VS is a WPF application, it's not impossible anymore.

0
1
dogged

Re: Does it need a Cloud?

As I understand it, the Community version is not cloud-friendly because they want enterprise devs writing for Azure, not hobbyists.

1
2

Behold the Lumia 535 NOTkia: Microsoft wipes Nokia brand from mobes

dogged

Re: I do just love how the Windows Phone

> You all talk a lot but say very little....

You're assuming there's more than one.

1
0
dogged

Re: Meh

> But I think OS/2 had better market share numbers.

More people have a Windows Phone than use any variety of OSX.

But you carry on. Keep telling yourself about market share, I'm sure it gives you a nice chubby.

0
0
dogged

Re: The price appeals

> Or you can just get a cheaper Android phone with better specs

No, you really couldn't. Did you read the article?

4
1

Why can't a mobile be more like a cordless kettle?

dogged

Re: Nokia

Do a full backup and then update your ROM using this thing

Nokia firmware updater to whatever's latest.

That should fix any firmware issues.

1
0

Microsoft's Lync becomes 'Skype for Business'

dogged

Re: What does it all mean?

> Is MS replacing the underlying lync protocol with skype's?

As per the article, no.

Now, you were saying?

(Jesus suffering fuck, I wish people would RTFA before hitting the "Sky is falling" macro)

3
2
dogged

Re: Rebranding

> Why don't they just replace it with Skype??

Because Lync is very popular in businesses and has a good reputation for ease of support. Unlike Skype.

If anything, making Skype more like Lync would be the logical next step.

4
0
dogged

Since it's just and only a name change, I see no reason why it would inherit any of Skype's issues.

1
1

NHS XP patch scratch leaves patient records wide open to HACKERS

dogged

Re: In before

So when a board dies and you can't replace like-for-like, that's fine with you. Okay.

0
1
dogged

Re: In before

Yes they are. Note, however, that intel are NOT making motherboards for XP installs.

0
1
dogged
Meh

In before

the usual calls for MS to support XP forever because they should! Because your car gets serviced for free every year forever after you buy it (or something)! And because all those people who think the NHS is a special case because it's so lovely already give up all their time working for the NHS for free because it's so lovely, obviously.

1
2
dogged
FAIL

Re: Force them to upgrade

Hooray! That'll completely solve the problem in only 10-12 years!

2
2

Microsoft snorefest: For crying out loud, Nadella – just channel Ballmer!

dogged

"snore" "boring" "contradiction"

"not relevant" "other platforms" "Ballmer"

Dammit, my "Gavin Clarke Microsoft Article" Bingo sheet came with "doomed" on it.

I'd better just wait for a commentard.

7
2

Don't assume public trusts you, MI5. 'Make a case' for surveillance – Former security chief

dogged

Re: Trust

It's all about the base.

Or, if you prefer, انها كل شيء عن القاعدة

There, that's the Reg on a watchlist.

7
1

Forums